Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

help with alpine componet speaker spacing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help with alpine componet speaker spacing

OK, im probably going to be castrated for posting something that has probably been posted a million times before, but I did search for quite a while looking for some answers. I found a few threads but none were really helpful, and many had links to pics that wouldnt work anymore. So heres the question:

My alpine R type speakers (SPR17LS http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=0&1=0&3=3630) are driving me nuts. I can NOT get the spacing right. Too far in the panel and the magnets bang the window, too far out and the speaker is shoved into the door panel causing the speaker to smack the panel when played and shoves the factory grills out. Ive managed to get the speakers to the point now where they neither smack the panel or bang against the window, but I can never seem to get them fixed to where the factory grills fit back flush against the panel. (I hope this makes some amount of sense...) I always have a big gap from where the grill is being pushed out away from the door panel. It is bugging me because it looks like crap. Does anyone have these componets? How in the name of pee did you get them to fit right? any help would be appreciated.

thanks a bunch.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:17 PM
dannichols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes perfect sense. Murphey's law definitely comes into play in that area, it is very tight. My speakers have similar depth dimensions, I found it best to use 3/4" MDF. Trace a pattern using the original speaker on the MDF. Use the speaker template to trace the inner hole, but move it about 1/2" up and to the rear of the car. This in effect will put the speaker more towards the middle of the door hole and allow you to replace the grill easily. Will also provide more sound from speaker instead of being blocked by door.
Cutout both designs and drillout holes for 3 screws on edges using original OEM speaker again. Mark hole locations for speaker mounting and drill away. I used M5 screws and lock nuts for the outer points, and 1" #10 screws to secure the speaker to the MDF ring. I would highly recommend using washer/lock washer on the top and T-Nuts on the underside of the ring to secure the speaker. You will have to recess the MDF slightly with a dremel for the T-nuts to sit flush. Finish the back side with a piece of adhesive backed 1/8" neoprene foam as a gasket.
Paint it all black (including screw heads) and ta-da it's done.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:30 PM
H.C.I.C.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rigged my OEM speakers mounts for 6 1/2 components MB Quart.
This is what I did:
Just tear out the old speaker off from factory speakers and use a dremel tool to cut out the back bracket. NOT the whole back bracket as you need some of it to make holes and get wire ties to hold speaker in place. Took out the white connector from the bracket and put the wiring through the hole left over.

Some might not like it, but thats how I did it. Besides you can't really see the speakers as they are covered anyway and it did the job.