Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

custom ipod setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:47 PM
mahont

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom ipod setup

anybody with pictures of custom ipod installs .. and the belkin cup holder installed in their z ?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:13 AM
SkiTTlez

Originally Posted by mahont
anybody with pictures of custom ipod installs .. and the belkin cup holder installed in their z ?
just put mine in yesterday and will post pics this afternoon!
Old 07-21-2005, 05:54 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a few days away from getting mine to the point where I can test it.

I used the AV input to the AVIC N2 and cut my Griffin power adapter apart for the DC power. I'll toss the thing in the center console when I'm not working it or have it set for random/playlist playback. It will go into a cup holder than sits in the coin holder hole when I want to look at the thing.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:21 AM
xNeo

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
I'm a few days away from getting mine to the point where I can test it.

I used the AV input to the AVIC N2 and cut my Griffin power adapter apart for the DC power. I'll toss the thing in the center console when I'm not working it or have it set for random/playlist playback. It will go into a cup holder than sits in the coin holder hole when I want to look at the thing.
Why not just get the CD-IB100 adaptor? You can control the ipod from the head unit and it charges it for you!
Old 07-21-2005, 06:40 AM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xNeo
Why not just get the CD-IB100 adaptor? You can control the ipod from the head unit and it charges it for you!
This works only with pioneer head unit or also the stock (bose) head unit? Does it show song names on the head unit?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Kevin3

I have my Ipod hooked up through the adaptor so I can change songs through the alpine headunit.

My questions!...The Ipod is ALWAYS charging when plugged in. This has to be bad for the battery, right? Most rechargeable batteries will recharge 300 or so times before the battery pretty much dies. I'm wondering if, after a year or so in the car, when I unplug the Ipod to listen to it, if the battery will last a decent time or die really quick.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:59 AM
xNeo

Originally Posted by Kevin3
I have my Ipod hooked up through the adaptor so I can change songs through the alpine headunit.

My questions!...The Ipod is ALWAYS charging when plugged in. This has to be bad for the battery, right? Most rechargeable batteries will recharge 300 or so times before the battery pretty much dies. I'm wondering if, after a year or so in the car, when I unplug the Ipod to listen to it, if the battery will last a decent time or die really quick.
The ipod battery sucks as it is, but with keeping it charged all the time it will probably lessen the life expectancy of the battery. For optimal expectancy you are supposed to charge it 100%, and use it until the battery completely dies 100%, and then charge it 100%, and so on. But who actually does that?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:40 AM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin3

For NiCd batteries, leaving the battery plugged in all of the time would "kill" the battery in a very short time.

For the newer batteries (LiIon), they have a number of "recharge cycles". How it basically works is that if you completely discharge the battery and recharge it, that is one cycle. If you discharge the battery 50% and recharge it, that is only one half of a cycle. The problem is that the battery-operated devices generally have separate circuits for battery usage and recharging, so the battery generally "coasts" between 95% and 100%, so you are still using up your "recharge cycles" even leaving the device plugged in all of the time, just not as fast as NiCd batteries.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:09 AM
ZBoater

Here is my install using a PAC Audio adapter and a Panavise holder.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:46 AM
xNeo

Originally Posted by ZBoater
Here is my install using a PAC Audio adapter and a Panavise holder.
Nice, but what did you attach the holder to? You use the double sided tape? Also I saw the charger your using, it has the headphone jack in it right? How did you wire it so you don't have to plug it into the cigarette lighter?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:06 PM
ZBoater

Originally Posted by xNeo
Nice, but what did you attach the holder to? You use the double sided tape? Also I saw the charger your using, it has the headphone jack in it right? How did you wire it so you don't have to plug it into the cigarette lighter?
Panavise also makes a custom adapter just for the 350Z that attaches behind the air vent. You need to remove the center console to install it. The holder then attaches to the adapter with 4 screws.

The charger has a built in amp that amplifies the signal and makes it sound much better. It is made by Belkin. I had a custom cigaretter lighter adapter (cut off a pigtail off an 12v extension cable) installed on the driver's side, and plugged the Belkin adapter into that.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:00 PM
lascala26

The CD-IB100 adaptor for Pioneer head units sucks. Read the reviews on this. I was all stoked to get one and then there were 50+ crappy reviews. It is really, really slow. I don't mind using the actual iPod to change the music. What's the best way to hook-up to an aftermarket stereo without using the specailly made iPod adaptors? Suggestions?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:18 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

with the pioneer head unit you have you can get a cd-rb10, which creates an aux in for rcas. then run the rca wire to around whereever you want the ipod, and attach one of those cables that is rca on one side and headphone jack on the other side.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:23 PM
lascala26

Thanks dude! Perfect!