Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

MB Quart Vs. Focal compnents??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 03:51 PM
jdohman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both sets of speakers are very nice. It all comes down to what set you enjoy the most. They both have there advantages.

The Focal 165kp2
Alot stronger midbass.
Finically stable company.
Crossover are small and compact

Mb Quart
Bi Ampable Crossover for tweeter control
Neo Magnet

Both sets are going to be extremly bright on the tweeter side.
The focals are VERY deep and are difficult to fit into cars.
MB Quarts crossovers are about the size of a brick.

If you are looking for the best of both worlds I would go with a set of Boston Z's.
Strong midbass. Biampable. Shallow enough to fit into most doors.

Polk even just released a new set called the signatures. They are a mix of the Boston and the MB Quarts' Neo Magnets and a biampable crossover and a tweeter that will not kill you like the Quarts.

If you have any more Questions PM me I will love to help.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:13 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Originally Posted by platinum350
Yeah, I have been doing a lot of research on components and I am starting to see what your saying. I actually wish I never startd this post...everyone has such a different perspective on the way speakers sound. But at least after reading so many reviews, I got an idea of some of te charecteristics
of each speaker.

The best way to judge a speaker is to hear them. I like my music reproduction flat and very detailed. This creates the best well balanced system for reproducing all types of music accurately and precisely. Many loudspeakers out there are heavy in highs or mids which might sound better to some people (which is fine) but they won't sound fine to everyone. I build all my systems to be true and accurate with accurate tonality throughout every frequency. I listen to every type of music and this is one of my biggest pushes to find the most accurate and detailed speakers. If I find something better, I buy it - regardless of price. This makes my systems sound good to everybody. This makes my system sound good replaying everything.

I most certainly could build a system that sounds better for rap, or better for metal, or for classical, but it would be one sided, leaving about 50 other sides weak. For each type of music I have more favorite speakers then what I use in my car, but I've only found 2 or 3 component sets that satisfy my need to reproduce everything.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:28 AM
soccertoad

Anyone know if the Focals fit in the stock location?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:33 AM
imntcrzy

focal's will fit with an mdf spacer... also focals need to be amped to sound good, a stock head unit won't have enough power to control the speaker.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:57 AM
chaparro78

Originally Posted by imntcrzy
focal's will fit with an mdf spacer... also focals need to be amped to sound good, a stock head unit won't have enough power to control the speaker.

My focals fit in the door fine, no spacers. Needless to say they do sound better than MBQuart. MBQuart isn't even MBQuart anymmore, they were bought out by the same company that bought out Rockford Fosgate and just uses their names to sell. My friend owns a stereo shop and sells both. As a personal opinion I love how the Focals K2Ps sound compared to any MBQuart. The quality of the Focals are second to none, much like MBQuart used to be.

Here is a pic. Yes I know those are the KPs, they are currently in my brother's car, but the K2Ps fit in my car the same way. Just moved them slightly to the left so the window doesn't hit. Then Dynmat the entire door so all holes in the door are sealed. Will sound incredible
Attached Thumbnails MB Quart Vs. Focal compnents??????-focal1.jpg  
Old 08-10-2005, 10:11 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by soccertoad
Anyone know if the Focals fit in the stock location?
They fit perfect. I have the tweets in the door with the woofers. Like someone else said, I listen to all kinds of music & want reproduction to fit whatever I want to play. To me the Focal's do this. You can find the k2p's for under $700.00 and probably well under that.

They are crisp and clear for vocals and instrumental. I love BA's too & had them in one of my other Z's.

I don't think you'll be disapointed with any that are mentioned here but listening to them really does help.

My Focal's are mounted like this:
Attached Thumbnails MB Quart Vs. Focal compnents??????-focal-install.jpg  
Old 08-10-2005, 04:33 PM
platinum350

Originally Posted by bixby
They fit perfect. I have the tweets in the door with the woofers. Like someone else said, I listen to all kinds of music & want reproduction to fit whatever I want to play. To me the Focal's do this. You can find the k2p's for under $700.00 and probably well under that.

They are crisp and clear for vocals and instrumental. I love BA's too & had them in one of my other Z's.

I don't think you'll be disapointed with any that are mentioned here but listening to them really does help.

My Focal's are mounted like this:

I wasn't able to pull up your picture of how you mounted your speakers, but I am curious how yo mounted your woofers and tweets together. Possible you could put another pic on here or even email me one? If so, platinum350@aol.com
thanks!
Old 08-11-2005, 08:44 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by platinum350
I wasn't able to pull up your picture of how you mounted your speakers, but I am curious how yo mounted your woofers and tweets together. Possible you could put another pic on here or even email me one? If so, platinum350@aol.com
thanks!
hmm, not sure why you can't see it but I'll repost as well as email you.

Pic:
Attached Thumbnails MB Quart Vs. Focal compnents??????-focal-install.jpg  
Old 08-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My choice would be the 165K2P, Plus you may have warranty problems with MB Quart right now. Rumor has it There is some type of a disaggreement with Rockfords contract and MB Qy=uart as we speak.
One of the main reasons the 350Z front speakers have a problem is the angle it is sitting in the door. We recently started making door Pods for the Z and It makes a world of difference in the sound quality of any driver. Last 2 applications we have intalled the 165K2P and It is just amazing.

I can honestly say I would listen to this car without the Sub and be happy. Mid Bass responce on this speaker is just amazing, Not to mention the Details in th esound and mid Voice realizm, with the help of the Pods we make It brings the whole sound stage just where it needs to be in this car.
Mor epictures of this install can be seenHERE

here is a picture attached.

Last edited by Nazar; 08-21-2006 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:05 AM
bixby

You can use a spacer to angle them up toward the passanger(s) (I did). The other MAIN reason is that 50% of the OEM grill is fake (no holes) which muffles the sound. If you intend to reuse the factory grills then you'll need to very carefully drill out the uper 50% of the grill to allow for air/sound flow. Stupidest thing I've ever seen but sine the factory (Bose in my case) system sounds like crap anyway I guess they decided the other holes weren't needed.

Last edited by bixby; 08-11-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:05 AM
imntcrzy

Originally Posted by Nazar
My choice would be the 165K2P, Plus you may have warranty problems with MB Quart right now. Rumor has it There is some type of a disaggreement with Rockfords contract and MB Qy=uart as we speak.
One of the main reasons the 350Z front speakers have a problem is the angle it is sitting in the door. We recently started making door Pods for the Z and It makes a world of difference in the sound quality of any driver. Last 2 applications we have intalled the 165K2P and It is just amazing.

I can honestly say I would listen to this car without the Sub and be happy. Mid Bass responce on this speaker is just amazing, Not to mention the Details in th esound and mid Voice realizm, with the help of the Pods we make It brings the whole sound stage just where it needs to be in this car.
Mor epictures of this install can be seenHERE

here is a picture attached.

can that pod accomidate a sealed box design?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:19 AM
dannichols

Bixby, did you cut an MDF spacer in half and glue them together to get the angle you mention? (as seen in older posts)

Did this also help with the mounting depth issue as the magnet would be sitting at an angle and perhaps not hit the window. I'm trying mount a larger mid similar to the Focals and want to produce a spacer angled up and back for the imaging and depth concerns you mentioned. Previously I made an MDF spacer that was cut to sit the speaker up higher and back further than stock. That helped out a lot but wouldn't be possible with 2.75" of depth.

What tool did you use to cut the spacer to the angle?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imntcrzy
can that pod accomidate a sealed box design?
Currently no, But it could with a second pod behind the door. The door would have to get sandwiched between 2 pods.

Currently we have no intension of making a piece behind the door, Just because It sounds so good the way it is
Old 08-11-2005, 09:57 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by dannichols
Bixby, did you cut an MDF spacer in half and glue them together to get the angle you mention? (as seen in older posts)

Did this also help with the mounting depth issue as the magnet would be sitting at an angle and perhaps not hit the window. I'm trying mount a larger mid similar to the Focals and want to produce a spacer angled up and back for the imaging and depth concerns you mentioned. Previously I made an MDF spacer that was cut to sit the speaker up higher and back further than stock. That helped out a lot but wouldn't be possible with 2.75" of depth.

What tool did you use to cut the spacer to the angle?
I believe that's what was done. The install was actually performed by big-al on this forum (AudioMobile). I just watched (as much as I could). Since the spacer angled the rear of the speakers in there were no issues with hitting the windows. I'm not certain what tool was used for cutting.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:00 AM
dannichols

OK thanks! the theory seems wonderful..but angle-cutting 7" of MDF horizontally is difficult to figure out.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:31 PM
BlueBlur

I am new to this whole Stero deal & I have listened to both of these sets of speakers & I like the MBQuarst b/c of the very high highs. In my opinion if you are going to have booming bass you need a very high highs so they can be heard over the bass. This way you can hear the words of the song & not just boom (words) boom (woods)...Just a newbie's take on the whole view. What I want to know is a good 10" sub wolfer??? Suggestions?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:17 PM
bixby

Originally Posted by BlueBlur
I am new to this whole Stero deal & I have listened to both of these sets of speakers & I like the MBQuarst b/c of the very high highs. In my opinion if you are going to have booming bass you need a very high highs so they can be heard over the bass. This way you can hear the words of the song & not just boom (words) boom (woods)...Just a newbie's take on the whole view. What I want to know is a good 10" sub wolfer??? Suggestions?
Some like high's, some like lows. It all depends on the individual ears listening.

For "True" sound repoduction the Focal's are great. If the highs (or lows for that matter) aren't realistic then I don't want the speaker.

As for your question on a good sub. Again that depends on what you want. I love bass but I want it to be farely subtile & not propell my car down the street. So, I went with the AlumaPro 10" sub as reccommended by my installer. It produces great repoduction and has a great range for adjustment.

It also fits under the rear strut brace and still allows me to get 2 sets of golf clubs back there.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:58 PM
theking

I know my G35 is a bit different but I absolutely love my Focal Utopias. Playing music for many years and having studio monitors in my house made the choice easy. The funny thing is I spent so much money on the speakers(2 sets and a JL10w6v2) i only went with Hifonics amps. I am glad i made this mistake(runny out of money allocated to the system) because the sound stage is perfect.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Z-INCOGNITO

My votes for the Focals... im extremely happy wit them
Old 08-11-2005, 05:21 PM
BlueBlur

Some like high's, some like lows. It all depends on the individual ears listening.

For "True" sound repoduction the Focal's are great. If the highs (or lows for that matter) aren't realistic then I don't want the speaker.

As for your question on a good sub. Again that depends on what you want. I love bass but I want it to be farely subtile & not propell my car down the street. So, I went with the AlumaPro 10" sub as reccommended by my installer. It produces great repoduction and has a great range for adjustment.

It also fits under the rear strut brace and still allows me to get 2 sets of golf clubs back there.
I heard those as well. I liked those to a point but I guess in the little room it was hard to judge. .....I do like subtile bass that is not going to propell my car down the road as you nicely put it..lol...I started another thread asking about it but thanks for the input...the shop that I went to loves Boston & Focal

Quick Reply: MB Quart Vs. Focal compnents??????