Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

MB Quart Vs. Focal compnents??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 04:53 PM
platinum350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MB Quart Vs. Focal compnents??????

I thought I was going to go w/ the Focal165K2's until someone at onlinecarstereos.com told me how nice the MB Quart PCE216's sounded. The guy really seemed to know his stuff but wanted to see if anyone on here has any experience w/ these speakers. I am hoping the MB's are as good as he claims cause I can get them cheaper.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:20 PM
momo 350z

the quartz do sound good.very clean,but the tweeter is a little to crisp for my likings,i like the way the focals sound,but they lack the midbass that the quartz produce..if this is of any help..quartz 1 choice then focal
Old 08-02-2005, 05:34 PM
platinum350

yes, helpful. I was looking at some on ebay and I have to say, they look very chinsy. Look like old school OEM paper speakers. The description for the PCE216's also read compnents/coaxial speaker system. Are these coaxials?
thanks!
Old 08-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT BE THAT GULIBLE!

Would you take my choice in a wife?

How about a dog?

Speakers sound different to different people (duhh)

What sounds good in a Z might sound like carp in a four door sedan. The speakers that sound great with my Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, and other classic rock might sound poor playing back rap or C&W. At the conservative volumes that I play my speakers might sound good but fail under the 1200 dB's that you play yours at ....
Old 08-02-2005, 06:11 PM
platinum350

C'mon Mr. Audiophile, I wouldn't say I was that gulible. I would say that I was talking to a guy who knew MORE than me in this field. We were also talking about THESE SPEAKERS IN A 350Z. He merely "suggested" what "he Liked" and thats how I took it. I would rather try to make one purchase than numerous till I find the speakers I enjoy. I am not an audiophile, like yourself, but do want decent speakers.
Thanks for all your help tho....
Old 08-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned both. MB's in my last car and focal in my Z. Both sound great. Focal has an "airier" sound, for lack of a better term, but you can't go wrong with either one. It really all comes down to personal preference. My dealer just picked up the focal line and was going to be dropping MB, so I went with focal, but the MB's sounded just as good to my ears given a comparable level of speaker.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:18 PM
platinum350

Originally Posted by Speedracer
I have owned both. MB's in my last car and focal in my Z. Both sound great. Focal has an "airier" sound, for lack of a better term, but you can't go wrong with either one. It really all comes down to personal preference. My dealer just picked up the focal line and was going to be dropping MB, so I went with focal, but the MB's sounded just as good to my ears given a comparable level of speaker.

Thanks for your input, I think I am going to go with the MB's beings they sound comparable and are less money!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by platinum350
Thanks for your input, I think I am going to go with the MB's beings they sound comparable and are less money!
Are you sure they cost less? I know my focal K2P which are comparable to the MB Q line are both about $1k per pair retail. Make sure you are looking at equivalent models.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:21 AM
ghost31711

I had MB premium in my old car (Acura TL), not sure if it was the PSC or PSD(older model), bu im sure they sound pretty much the same. Great speakers.

Im going with the Focal 165k2p in my Z. I listened to the 165kp (a step below k2p) on a display next to some MB PSCs, and i like the Focals more. The MBs were chrisp and clear with every frequency well defined, whereas the focal had a more harmonic sound that is a little more soothing.

Best thing to do is to find a shop to listen to these your self. You really can't go wrong with either of the two. Im also using focal just to change things up a bit....

My car will probably be done tomorrow(my installer started working on it this morning when i dropped it off), im using the same amp as i did with my MBs, a JL 300/4 (came off the old install).

I'll let you know how they sound in the Z.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:26 AM
platinum350

Originally Posted by ghost31711
I had MB premium in my old car (Acura TL), not sure if it was the PSC or PSD(older model), bu im sure they sound pretty much the same. Great speakers.

Im going with the Focal 165k2p in my Z. I listened to the 165kp (a step below k2p) on a display next to some MB PSCs, and i like the Focals more. The MBs were chrisp and clear with every frequency well defined, whereas the focal had a more harmonic sound that is a little more soothing.

Best thing to do is to find a shop to listen to these your self. You really can't go wrong with either of the two. Im also using focal just to change things up a bit....

My car will probably be done tomorrow(my installer started working on it this morning when i dropped it off), im using the same amp as i did with my MBs, a JL 300/4 (came off the old install).

I'll let you know how they sound in the Z.
Unfortuantely I have not been able to find a place w/ either in stock for me to listen to, I have to keep looking.
Yeah, keep me posted on how yours turns out, im sure it will be great!
Old 08-03-2005, 05:48 AM
Chief F1 Fan

Originally Posted by Speedracer
I know my focal K2P which are comparable to the MB Q line are both about $1k per pair retail.
Yikes! If you paid 1K, you took one in the shorts man.

Here's where I got mine for 539 http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1162
Old 08-04-2005, 01:47 PM
ghost31711

alright.... got my car back from the shop....and the focals are amazing....... i mounted the tweeters in the stock tweeter location, and i think it might be too close to my ears.... at high volumes it can be a bit too bright....

overall, i think it sounds a lot better than my MBQs
Old 08-04-2005, 02:17 PM
platinum350

Originally Posted by ghost31711
alright.... got my car back from the shop....and the focals are amazing....... i mounted the tweeters in the stock tweeter location, and i think it might be too close to my ears.... at high volumes it can be a bit too bright....

overall, i think it sounds a lot better than my MBQs

Hey Ghost, which MBQ's did you have in before the Focals?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:55 PM
ghost31711

Originally Posted by platinum350
Hey Ghost, which MBQ's did you have in before the Focals?
the old reference premiums, at the time i bought them they were second to the Q-series. Either PSC or PSD, whichever is the older model is.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:38 PM
platinum350

thanks, glad to hear you got the system all done! Thats a great feeling.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:36 PM
ghost31711

Thank you, and yes it is.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:45 PM
imntcrzy

I've had mostly focal...if you look at the construction of the driver it just looks beefier than the mb's also look at the spider, the driver size everything it just looks better. Sounds better too but that my opinion. if that's not enough JM labs makes focal drivers.. they make the utopia speakers. $50,000 or so considered one of the best in the world. The tweeters are a bit bright though.... dynaudio makes some really nice tweets
Old 08-05-2005, 06:36 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Choosing between MBQ and Focal is like pooing in one hand and wishing in the other to find out which one fills up faster. IMO for the price there's better out there then either of them.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:50 PM
platinum350

Originally Posted by LS350Z
Choosing between MBQ and Focal is like pooing in one hand and wishing in the other to find out which one fills up faster. IMO for the price there's better out there then either of them.
Yeah, I have been doing a lot of research on components and I am starting to see what your saying. I actually wish I never startd this post...everyone has such a different perspective on the way speakers sound. But at least after reading so many reviews, I got an idea of some of te charecteristics
of each speaker.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Sundeviljay

i have some MB Quart Premium 5 1/4 components...only used for 3 months perfect condition and still under warranty. PM if interested only $200!!!

Quick Reply: MB Quart Vs. Focal compnents??????