Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

New to the board, question about seperates

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 07:58 AM
maximman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the board, question about seperates

Hey guys, this board is great--a lot of info. I have the black Z with the performance package. I have two questions: 1.) How come most the installs of component speakers are done in the front kick panels? I was thinking about putting some MB Quart separates in the rear, and installing the tweets flush. Is this a bad idea? 2.) And also what size separates do I need: will 6 1/2 fit?
All info is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:02 PM
Gish

It's all about imaging. You can't hear speakers behind your head clearly. Most professional sound comp. cars only do front stage systems (meaning they don't use back speakers). This is the most common myth-error in car audio. You don't/shouldn't want back speakers depending on the shape of the car. Components sound the best when they are up front, preferably in the kick panels of the door (see Nizl's install).

With that said, I am planning on doing front stage only. You need to add a sub for bass/sound quality though.

Gish
Old 12-16-2002, 09:26 PM
maximman

Thank You
Old 12-16-2002, 09:34 PM
Gish

Think of it this way, speakers are supposed to mimic a live recording. Would you want to go to a concert and have your back turned to the speakers? I think if you do the quarts, however, in a small car like the Z the quart tweeters might be to bright. Have you already bought them? Make sure it is a silk dome tweeter. Metal tweeters I think will be too bright. It is all a matter of taste with the front components though. I prefer Boston Acoustic ( I am getting Z6s). Some like Nizl prefer Dynaudio. With tweeters/midranges, it is all a matter of taste. Just make sure you hear am assortment of brands before you buy MB based on the previously established brand name. They are not even close to the "best" anymore, IMO. But that is the thing about separates, it's just my opinion . Busy taking a break from UT 2003. Man this game kicks ***!!

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. I have been researching this the last 9 months!

Gish
Old 12-17-2002, 07:10 AM
maximman

Thanks again Gish. Your advice makes sence. I haven't bought the speakes yet, so I will do more research before I do.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:54 PM
Troy9

for speakers with softer tweets, I would recommend Diamond audio hex series with silk tweets, CDT audio HD series or Eurosport series, Rainbow professional series and Dynaudio..But if you like the sound of metal tweeters, I would go with Focal Utopia or MBQ QSD series.