Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need Help Quick! Nav decision: Factory or aftermarket?

Old 12-19-2002, 12:12 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Need Help Quick! Nav decision: Factory or aftermarket?

I just found out it's not too late to add the Nav to my order, and I would kind of like to have it. My question is: given the choice, should I go for the factory system or wait and put in either the Alpine or Pioneer system? I'm looking for best overall performance, looks, ability to play DVDs (with or w/o further mods such as Nav-TV), # of POI, operating speed, accuracy and ease of operation. I like the fact that the factory setup runs the sound through the stereo; how is the voice done on the other systems and how good is it? Which way should I go? Please help, I need to let my dealer know before its too late!
Old 12-19-2002, 12:45 PM
qirex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the advantages of the stock system are the integration with the stero. My alpine has a speaker in themonitor. I think they all use teh same database. I've never used the stock, but I find my alpine to be very fast.

The alpine has a remote which I mount to the pass side it looks really cool and works with alpine HU also. I personally like the buttons better on the stock location.

However, the biggest advatage of the alpine IMO is that I can add a reverse camera and the alpine has a sensor for reverse which will automatically switch to the vid-3 AND reverse the image. No need for additional expense.

ALso I can use Vid-2 for another DVD player/camcorder/game system input.

If you want to do this with the stock system it will cost you a lot of $$$$ via nav-tv.

If I could choose over, I would prolly just get the stock unit however. I got the alpine b/c the dealer promised they could add the stock unit later.

e
Old 12-19-2002, 12:52 PM
MustGoFastR

So all you have to do for DVD on the Alpine is plug in a player? What about sound? Does the DVD sound run through an FM modulator? I want to keep the stock Bose system. (don't ask me why)
Old 12-19-2002, 01:08 PM
MustGoFastR

Is there any way to tie the sound into the stereo from an aftermarket Nav? The service manual shows the stock nav's sound leads running to the rear amp in the Touring; you'd think there would be a way to do this...

Anyway, it looks like an aftermarket system has more flexibility, but I don't know if I'll be adding any of that stuff. Right now. I'd just like more opinions on the nav units themselves.