Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sub location question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Sub location question

Would it be possible to have a sub mounted in the stock sub location and also have an amp in the hole? I dont have a z yet, but I'm looking into this for when I do get one. Just trying to see if there would be enough room. I already have the sub and an amp, and I'm trying to avoid placing anything in the hatch area. I'm trying to save as much storage space that is currently in the car.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Yes but it depends on the size of the amp. There's lots of room in there - figure 15" x 19" by 6" high. The subwoofer is going to stick in about 6-7" leaving you about 12" worth of space.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:19 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure this is discussed in earlier threads but I am not a search **** so I'll answer it anyway, the best I can.

It all depends on your equipment. There is a good deal of space in there but it's not gigantic. If I were going with a behind the seat install, I would probably go with a sub behind the driver and an amp in the glove box. The face of the stock sub location already has a metal plate with a 10" hole in it, so this could be used as a template or used as the front of the box. Or, you could glass the whole space and put the amp inside the sub enclosure but the gas tank is right under neath there. One side has a fuel pump the other the gauge sender. So whatever you do in there should be removable.... and no sheet metal screws into the floor of that area for obvious reasons.

You could also do what I did if it wont fit behind the seat, I built a small sub enclosure for the back corner of the trunk. Most of it is under the trunk floor where the foam block was so it has enough volume and I still have the spare and jack/tools. Here are some pics of it if you are interested http://www.hypersprite.com/auto/tech-z-006/default.asp .
Old 10-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Swiffer

Thanks guys. I guess I will just have to wait and see how much room there is given the size of my amp and sub. I might end up going to route you mentioned above by using the corner of the hatch area for the sub, and placing the amp in the enclosure behind the drivers seat. Now, if only there was a way to fast forward a few months to the spring time....

btw, Paul, I LOVE you setup. If I end up using 2 amps (1 for sub, and 1 for the front/rear), I might try doing something similar to what you have for your amps.