Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

GRRRR more stereo problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 03:56 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GRRRR more stereo problems

This is going to be a long story, so those with a short attention span...dont say I didnt warn you.

Here is the deal, I have had my stereo system in my car installed for about 5 months. I hate having to answer questions, knowing nothing about someones system, so I will save everyone the trouble of asking:

Alpine Type R componets
a second set of tweeters which are JL evolution.
JL 12w7v2 DVC subwoofer
A pioneer DEH-P8MP headunit.
A pioneer 6 disc Changer (cant recall the model number)
A older crossfire 100wx2 amplifier running my componets
A phoenix gold xs2500 running my subwoofer.
Mega thick Monster Cable RCA's to both crossfire and phoenix.

This system ran GREAT for about 5 months, then I had the great idea to have my center console refinished. I removed the console, and took out my headunit. I disconnected the wiring harnesses to the headunit and placed my headunit on my dresser untill I got my console finished. Sounds simple right? Shouldnt have been a problem right? Wrong. About 3 weeks later, I had almost finished my console, and in my haste to hear my stereo again after going without it for all this time, I hooked my headunit back up....Now when I did this, I didnt ground the headunit all that well, I just used the antennae jack which happened to have a ground in it. I did NOT ground the headunit again with the supplied thick ground wire as I had it before. I jammed out for a little while, everything worked fine, my changer worked, my componets worked fine, everything was peachy. After a couple of songs (couldnt have been more than 10 minutes.) I unhooked everything and went back to my console.

2 days later, I finally finished my console. I hooked everything back up, headunit, changer, big thick groundwire. everything. I turned on my stereo and POW, to my anger and dismay I had HORRIBLE engine noise now. I had never had this problem before. In addition to my alternator whine, I had other...stranger problems. The cd player will NOT recognize my changer at all now, and the preamp cables seem to have some kind of short in them, when I shake the cables, the componets produce static, just as any short would act. Also, the strangest thing....My subwoofer was acting really weird. I would turn off the subwoofer in the headunit settings...and the sub would just get a slight quieter, it wouldnt turn off at all. In my fury I grabbed a ground loop isolater and placed it on the crossfire amplifier. That took care of the alternator whine...though I have never needed it before. My phoenix gold still needs a groundloop isolator becuase I still have alittle bit of engine noise coming through it, but its only noticable when the car is off and everything is totally silent, almost non-existant, but enough to annoy me. The preamp cable short has somewhat resolved itself, I have to beat on the side of my console sometimes when I start hearing a bunch of static coming from the componets and intermittant boom coming from the sub (which cant be good for it.)

So what do you think after hearing the story..Did I 'eff up my 350 dollar headunit with my 10 minutes of using it with a crap ground? Am I going to have to buy another one? Is there a pioneer repair shop that may be able to fix it?

HELP! I am at my wits end with this.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:43 PM
hitop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

r u working full time right now?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hitop
r u working full time right now?
......ummm there is no way I would be able to afford a 350z, not to mention modding one, if I wasnt. I am not that lucky.

Are you trying to tell me I have to buy a new headunit?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:49 AM
NisAznMonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the condition of your wires. I did what you are trying to do once upon a time. I ended up slicing the insulation off of my RCA cables by accident, and the problems started.