Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

edead v3

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 12:02 PM
umzzz
Cwest Army

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default edead v3

Just got done applying elemental designs edead v3 sound deadening to the z. Man this stuff is awesome. I put about 5 coats on the doors and door skin. I had a lot of rattles before and now I can't hear a single one of them. Not only that, but my speakers sound a lot more solid too. Goes on easy too…highly recommend!

Just thought I would share...
Old 10-10-2005, 01:12 PM
dannichols

Is that stuff still blue or did they change to black? I used a similar product in Seconskin Spectrum. Good stuff, good to see your's turned out well too.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:59 PM
umzzz
Cwest Army

they have it in blue or black...i used the black stuff
Old 10-10-2005, 06:18 PM
jester7500

Good job Umar. 5 coats...wow. How many coats did you end up doing on Sat.?

Got any left over???
Old 10-10-2005, 07:03 PM
umzzz
Cwest Army

Thanks

i did 3 coats on saturday and then 2 more on sunday...i still have half a gallon sitting in the garage...
Old 01-25-2006, 02:14 PM
GQ 350z

Did anyone apply this to the hatch area? I'm really trying to figure out what to do as far as sound deadening goes in this arena.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:06 PM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you order it from?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:52 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribing.
BTW, I just bought from their web site so I know where it came from. Nobody seemed to give much better prices and I ordered around Christmas time so if there were any problems with it freezing during shipping I could deal directly with them. They are also extremely helpful and friendly with their tech. support. They have something like a forum over there and reps. interact with your posts directly.
I just wanted to hang out and see what develops here. I'm basically in the same situation. Did 2 thin layers on the door metal and behind the front speakers on the outer door skin. Then a layer of neoprene behind the door panel. Not very noticable but the mid bass is louder. Hard to tell because the hatch is so noisy still! I wanted to stuff some open cell foam behind the door panel too but it didn't fit everywhere by just doing one big piece and I didn't feel like hacking up smaller pieces that day and trying over and over again. I may go back and redo it better but I plan to move on to the wheel wells and trunk and behind the seats where it will be much more effective. The doors were convenient place to start for me because I needed to fix my front imaging setup and it is definately a place to include for effective noise work. More rattles than road noise IMO. If you want to learn a lot in a hurry do a search on posts made by dannichols and catch up. I'm just finding it hard to apply his advice in real life I forgot the door panels had so much stuff behind them and I want to be real careful about doing the trunk before I tear the whole thing apart and find I can't get the foam pieces where I thought I could! I don't know if I will do edeadv3 on all the metal and use my foam just under the false floor layer or how it would work out with the foam down at the bottom of the trunk. I see a lot of difficulty altering the false floor height if I put it under the spare and see it possibly being less effective if I cut away circles to seat the tire down into it if you know what I mean Do you have a plan for the hatch area besides just putting on the edeadv3 everywhere you can. Are you going for just the rattles or also lowering road noise?
Anyway, I was excited to hear of another satisfied customer.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:08 AM
GQ 350z

Will one gallon do teh job for the doors and the hatch?
I just ordered some =)
Old 02-14-2006, 10:25 AM
bjr

I can't speak from experience yet but I think it is safe to say yes. I did two thin layers on my doors for now and used about 1/4 gallon (maybe less) from my memory. I am going to wait and do the rest of the car this spring so I don't have to run the heat in the garage.
In all of my experiences researching this everyone was happy with the stuff and said things like " i did the doors and the whole trunk and had some left, etc." Obviously this will depend highly on how much you put on (not only how many layers but how thick too). Be sure to follow all of their advice and it should work good. Main things are to clean the surface (they suggest rubbing alchohol), let it dry, make sure it is warmer than 50deg F, and use thin coats and let them dry pretty good in between. The smell from the stuff isn't bad, kind of a clean smell, not overwhelming either. I was in the garage the whole day and when my wife got home from work, no complaints If you need any help, contact Elemental Designs directly they are wonderful, or contact here - there are more than one of us that have used this stuff. Good luck and let us know how it goes
Let me be the first to warn you of an idiot mistake I made that was nearly permanent! Note on your door panels towards the back of the car where the latch is that the door panel does not cover the last inch or so of the painted door panel. I can provide a picture later or explain better if you need. I put my door panel back on breifly (and luckily) to check something and found I had about 1" of that black crap showing!! Luckily I got it all off but it took forever because it had been drying for about 1 hour.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:31 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you spray or Brush?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:34 AM
GQ 350z

Wow, thansk for the advice! I'm going to be using a brush personally.

Probably 3 coats on each door, and plopping the rest (lol evenly of course) in the hatch.

I want my car silent..well any improvement is fine by me to be honest...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:41 AM
bjr

I brushed.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:42 AM
dark_muppet

I just got an email from them... edead v3 is now 50% off. (but I think it's for the blue only. Still.. that's $25 for a gallon. Pretty good.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:50 AM
GQ 350z

Yeah, I'm a member on other audio forums, got it for that price. Shipping was a grip though.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:53 AM
bjr

I got mine too I'm figuring on putting my leftover black over the blue stuff. Especially when I do the outside of the wheel wells.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:54 AM
GQ 350z

bjr..will one gallon do the hatch, trunk, and the doors?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:01 PM
bjr

I can't say for sure, I haven't done it yet. I'd ask E.Design directly or go to google and search edeadv3. I actually found some good information on it. Also check the Edead forums, there are guys there doing installs and commenting on how much they have used. I don't want to steer you wrong without experience. I think you would make it if you were only doing two coats but from the system you described coming up I don't know if it would be enough. Hope you find some better advice...
Old 02-14-2006, 12:08 PM
GQ 350z

Thank you sir...

I'll take my chances.. if I need more I'll just use some type of mat..or an extra gallon. I'm actuallyl excited to do the hatch/trunk..but how do you get the door panels off?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:14 PM
bjr

at the top of this audio forum there is a post labelled "how to's" but I just checked it and the door link is dead. You may be able to find one searching. I think I have a .pdf saved of it and will PM it to you tomorrow if you want. They are very easy to take off if you are patient and gentle on the prying. The how to is what makes it that way, there are a few tricky things to figure out without it.

Quick Reply: edead v3