Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My planned video and audio upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 10:59 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My planned video and audio upgrades...

Needless to say, I am somewhat dissappointed with the Bose system, and I have always had an upgraded system in my car, so I guess the Z will be no different. I am planning alot of mods for the video and audio portion of my ride. Overall, I am not to worried about getting my video mods working properly as I am working with a company in Colorado called video-nav.com on getting DVD movie capability on my factory NAV screen. I have everything needed to do this, at this point, but plan on doing the video and audio at the same time to minimize my efforts, and reduce the number of times my ride has to be completely disassembled.

I am a little concerned about the space I will need to install my audio equipment. I want to keep what precious hatch space I currently have for trips, golf clubs, etc. I am posting this message with hopes that the few people who have have taken their Z's apart can provide me with some insight as to how much space I will find once I start this work. My overall goal is to install a nice quality 2 amp system, while keeping the stock look and factory Bose head unit.

I hope to get a few responses with any install ideas, so I can try to get an idea of where to install these goodies. I know the factory amp is in the hatch, and from the pictures I have seen, it looks like there is some space available for an amp in the factory location. In some other pictures I have seen, there looks to be quite a bit of space under the briefcase compartment located behind the passengers seat. This compartment will eventually house my PS2, but if I can get an amp behind or under that compartment, that would be great. I am planning on sealing off the factory sub compartment with some sort of mdf enclosure, and maybe there will be some space available behind that enclosure for my EQX-II.

Stereo Upgrades (OUT WITH THE BOSE!):
Audio Control EQX-II (Xover and EQ)
Phoenix Gold ZX600ti (Sub amp)
Phoenix Gold Tantrum 400.4 (Front and Rear seperates amp)
MB Quart RCS216 Separates in front
Infinity 62.5i 2-way Coaxs in the rear
LPL44 (low pass level controller)
JL Audio 10W6 or 10W6v2 in stock sub location (after I seal that mammoth compartment)
Phoenix Gold wiring and 1F capacitor
lots of Dynamat
factory Bose/Clarion head unit

I want to be able to conceal all of this equipment under panels, in a false floor, or whatever, so as not to ruin the stock appearance. I could go crazy and do a show quality system, but I don't have the time to do the IASCA/USAC circuit anymore, and to be honest, I lost interest in that realm. I have a well-trained ear, and feel its worth spending the time and money to have something nice in my car, since I do alot of driving, but I will leave the high dollar equipment for my home. Yes, this is alot more than I need, but I already have alot of equipment from a previous system, and would like to use it, if possible.

Here are my planned stock NAV upgrades:
Playstation2 (DVD Video source)
Pioneer GEX-P7000tv
Video-nav PBA-N1
Backup Camera
TV tuner

Pioneer GEX-P7000tv link:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...29,342,00.html

Video-Nav Link:
http://www.video-nav.com/product.html

I will post my pictures and results as soon as I have everything completed. Any and all suggestions or advice is welcomed here...and will be appreciated !
Old 12-31-2002, 02:08 PM
JZC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds bad as HELL.

Post a full review and enough pictures to bleed our eyes!

I've seen alot of amps in the glove compartment behind seat.

Amps underneath seat(I forget who)

Amps behind where stock sub went...

You can hide them alot of places while keeping the stock look.

Personally, I'm sticking my 250/1 underneath the trap door thingy in the glove compartment.

Last edited by JZC; 12-31-2002 at 02:12 PM.