Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Cheap liquid dampner

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:14 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cheap liquid dampner

http://www.daubertchemical.com/main.taf?p=3,4
check out the product category link and choose automotive. Also the brochure link has a pdf that will come up and show the different numbers they make and the properties of each for things like durability, etc.

McMaster Carr sells only V-Damp 3660 for about $65 for a 5 gallon pail! Cheap After viewing Daubert Chemicals web site this morning it looks like this stuff might be a good choice. I'm waiting to hear back from a salesman on whether the 3660 would be a good choice. It might not be the best for exterior wheel wells but the factory plastic back over it may protect it pretty well.

Anybody heard of this stuff or used it??
Old 11-14-2005, 09:46 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Liquid sound deadeners like spray-in-bedliner work really good for acoustical applications. I've never used the one you listed, but have used a different brand on my doors and trunk. Very practical and cheaper than Dynomat.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:42 PM
bjr

No phone call back yet. I think I found one drawback to the 3660. MacMaster Carr lists the temperature range only to 120DegF. I know that won't cut it in a car interior. My interior easily reaches between 120 and 130 in the summer and that is down by the driver kick panel where my temperature probe is for my aftermarket mirror. I can't imagine the heat in the trunk area. Hopfully whoever returns my call will be able to address this as this product is listed for automotive use. I would not want something that is going to gel back up above 120DegF. If it is less effective at that temp. OK, but not causing it to melt or run!
As far as damping goes the 3670 product's data sheet shows 3mm of this stuff being much more effective than the asphalt based mat that some OEMs use. No information on the web site for the 3660 in MM-Carr catalog.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:51 PM
djnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eDead V3 is $50 a gallon...probably the same thing...i'd be interested to see how this new stuff works
Old 11-15-2005, 08:28 AM
bjr

Default Dead end

I spoke to Daubert Chemicals today about V-Damp.
3660 is not for any exterior application. It is water soluable and even after it cures he said eventually on the outside wheel wells the water will cause it to come back off over time. As far as the 120degF temp. rating he said it is just not intended to be applied near exhaust, etc. where it will be exposed to extreme heat. He thought it should be ok with hot interior temperatures.

If I am going to buy 5 gallons of something I want to use it everywhere though.

Since I saw other product mixtures on their Web site I asked what he recommended. He said that they only sell big quantities to other companies and that I should check out Cascade Audio.
He was surprised that McMaster Carr was selling 5 gallon buckets. I told him it was not directly advertised but when I asked for the MSDS sheet on it that V-Damp was in the description of the product.
So they really can't help me. I guess if you wanted a cheap interior product this stuff will work but I am going to keep looking.
Here is what I found last week:
go to www.mcmaster.com
type in 9545t1 in the search and click find. Should bring up a catalog page of damping items with a 5 gallon pail for $68.

The Cascade Audio liquid is bought through Daubert Chemicals and they raise the price because it is "car audio" stuff I assume. The guy at Daubert said it is their stuff relabeled.
Here is their link
http://www.cascadeaudio.com/aut1.html
More than I am willing to spend.

I am still not satified with the 120 Deg on the V-Damp anyway. If I cannot find a cheap solution to this I would be tempted to beg them for a couple of ounces as a sample (probably McMaster Carr) and paint it on something and put it in the oven at 150deg for awhile after it is cured and see what happens to it. If it holds up I would be satisfied that I could use it on the interior, then use something more expensive at 50-80 bucks a gallon on the outside wheel wells and save money where I could.