Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need help-Want to keep Bose 2ohm HU but upgrade speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 08:09 PM
shagz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help-Want to keep Bose 2ohm HU but upgrade speakers

Hey guys. I need some help with this.
I was planning to buy a cpouple of Infinity63.5's to replace the 2 front speakers, but Circuit City tells me that the speakers are 4ohm and the Bose unit is 2ohm...so in other words it's not compatible. I asked if I could replace the bose amp with an aftermarket one, but they said that won't work bcoz the HU is 2ohm. What are my options? I really want to keep the HU, because I just don't like the look of the aftermarket kits, they just don't look as good as the stock HU. I know many of you have gone for aftermarket HUs and I don't disagree that they are better than the blos hu, but it's my personal preference.
Are there any GOOD 2ohm speakers available aftermaket?
Appreciate any help. I have the 'upgraded' Blose in my touring, and I'm already hearing some vibration from the tweeters on the passenger side. My friend had to slap the panel a few times for the weird vibration sound to go away.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:41 AM
dczoner

If I were you I might go check out non-circuit shops in your area. Circuit didn't even know that Delphi made an FM modulator for my Delphi XM radio, I had to tell them the damned part number. So don't always trust what they have to say. However, there may not be an adapter, which is usually the easiest way to get around these things. I mean, if you want to do a hookup, you simply have to run your Infiniti's in paralell (i think i remember this right) to another set of speakers, or just a 4 ohm resistor. This brings total resistance down to 2 ohms, which (drumroll please) will please your Bose system.

However, before you try this, make sure to drop a small amount of current on your system and use a multimeter to double-make-sure that you actually are generating 2ohms. . . otherwise you will have the first smokin' 350z. . .

Good luck...
Old 01-05-2003, 06:12 AM
nlauri

Default Re: Need help-Want to keep Bose 2ohm HU but upgrade speakers

Originally posted by shagz
Hey guys. I need some help with this.
I was planning to buy a cpouple of Infinity63.5's to replace the 2 front speakers, but Circuit City tells me that the speakers are 4ohm and the Bose unit is 2ohm...so in other words it's not compatible. I asked if I could replace the bose amp with an aftermarket one, but they said that won't work bcoz the HU is 2ohm. What are my options? I really want to keep the HU, because I just don't like the look of the aftermarket kits, they just don't look as good as the stock HU. I know many of you have gone for aftermarket HUs and I don't disagree that they are better than the blos hu, but it's my personal preference.
Are there any GOOD 2ohm speakers available aftermaket?
Appreciate any help. I have the 'upgraded' Blose in my touring, and I'm already hearing some vibration from the tweeters on the passenger side. My friend had to slap the panel a few times for the weird vibration sound to go away.
I went to Circuit City also and was misinformed on several things. They told me a remote start is illegal on a 6mt and that I would have to completely replace my Bose. I went to a shop that does competition and got a totally different story. I am having the compustar security system with remote start done and keeping Bose HU for aesthetics am going with Focal fronts Jl sub and havent decided for sure on amp but possibly a Phoenix gold
Find a shop in your area that does competition-it appears their installers know alot more about the audio systems.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:42 AM
johnlotusboy

there is a specific adaptor for the bose in a Nissan and it has level controls on it I think I saw them at Crutchfield.

If it wasn't Crutchfield. then I still know it definetly iss available some where just check more sources.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shagz, I just posted a response in this thread by Victor. By the way, I agree that Circuit City is probably one of the last places to get advice from. I'm sure there are some very knowledgeable people there, but I have yet to run into any of them.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:54 AM
shagz

Originally posted by johnlotusboy
there is a specific adaptor for the bose in a Nissan and it has level controls on it I think I saw them at Crutchfield.

If it wasn't Crutchfield. then I still know it definetly iss available some where just check more sources.
I found this site. Could be helpful to guys wanting to upgrade the amp but keep the Bose HU : http://www.sounddomain.com/shoplist~...rface+Adapters
Old 01-05-2003, 11:03 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Isn't that the opposite, though? Replace the headunit, and keep the rest with that kit? I think what he wants is to replace the speakers.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:06 PM
shagz

Originally posted by MannishBoy
Isn't that the opposite, though? Replace the headunit, and keep the rest with that kit? I think what he wants is to replace the speakers.
I think the adapter sits between the Bose HU and the aftermarket amp. Converts the Bose HU 2ohm output to 4ohm and feeds it into the amp.
I'll probably go with the MTX Thunder amps. The Thunder4244 4 channel for the 4 Kappa speakers and the Thunder4122 2 channel amp to drive the kappa sub. Ofcourse, this'll take me 6 paychecks to get. Just gotto live with the Blose sound for now.

Any other suggestions for the amps and speakers ?
Old 01-05-2003, 05:56 PM
dczoner

If you're looking at MTX I would also suggest taking a good luck at the Eclipse products. They don't have a huge lineup, but I've heard these amps in cars compared to MTX's in cars, and if you're looking for a clean sound the Eclipses win hands down. The MTX are boomier, sorta Fosgate style sound.

And yes, I am planning on buying Eclipse, hence the bias. (but I sold MTX back in the day, so I kinda know what I'm talkin bout!)

Good luck...