Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Radar jammer/detectors - do they really work

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Trackbite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar jammer/detectors - do they really work

I came across a full page ad in Automobile magazine for a radar jammer/detector. I am not sure of the brand. Just wondering if anyone has one and if they really work.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:37 AM
alex30327

I read an article a few months ago stating that these jammers do not work, unless you are like 5 feet away from the radar source.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

"Passive" jammers supposedly do not really work. "Active" jammers (that are usually illegal) do work.

Active means that the jammer actually sends out a radar/laser signal to confuse the radar/lidar "gun".

Passive means that the jammer receives the signal, mixes in a "chirp" or another signal, and then sends it back to the gun.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Radian

Anything from "Rocky Mountain Phasor...whatever" has been shown to be useless.

There have been a few successful active jammers but most are either kit or plans only as they are illegal.

Anything that says its "passive" is junk.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:33 PM
gstdtim

Are you sure Valentine pays your ticket? I don't think so.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:38 PM
ttheisen93

Having more experience in radar disruption than I can talk too much about, I would say that police radar is very susceptible to side lobe jamming. That is, putting a radar strobe down one of the "noise" lobes coming out of the side of the radar antenna. Police occasionally "jam" themselves if they sit where they're pointing the antenna perpendicular to high power lines or other sources of electronic interference. That only helps if he's not pointing right at you, since his direct signal should be stronger, even in return, than what your jammer will put out, but I could be wrong. The formula favors you, of course, since you only have to send the signal one way, and his has to hit your car and retain enough of a signal to overpower yours on a return journey. But I think the radar guns are putting out a pretty powerful signal. You definitely have the advantage at range, since his formula is something like power = 1/range to the fourth power, and yours is only 1/range squared. Anyway, that's just for raw noise jamming. If you're putting out a spoofing signal that confuses the police radar gun in any way, they're designed to go blank, rather than display inaccurate data. Sooooo I guess long story longer, you have a good chance of not getting caught by radar if the jammer you're using is sending a spoofing signal. You'd have to be able to match the radar gun's pulse repetition frequency and wavelength, but there's only two general types of police radar that I know of, X and K band, so that shouldn't be too hard.

"Passive" jamming is bull@$#@, unless you're talking about stealth technology, but that's not really jamming, just reducing a radar signature. All jamming is active in nature, in that you're sending a signal to mask or confuse the radar gun's return signal.

Nerdy, huh?

Old 01-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Valentine One is an awesome DETECTOR but has nothing to do with JAMMING. Also, V-1 doesn't pay your ticket. I think you are confusing it with the Phaser detector/jammer.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:03 AM
ttheisen93

Going back to Alex30327's assertion that they only work like 5 feet from the radar gun, that would actually be the opposite of how jamming works, since the farther away you are, the better chance you have of having a stronger signal than the return signal of the radar gun. At very close ranges you reach "burn through" where the 1/range to the fourth power of the radar gun is stronger than the 1/range squared power of your jammer.