Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Q: Radar Detector, How many people here got hit by X-band?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005 | 07:11 PM
isugoo

Default Q: Radar Detector, How many people here got hit by X-band?

Hi, I have V1 stealth installed and X-band is driving me crazy.
I would like to disable my X-band but before I do it, I would like to ask you guys about this.
Did anyone of you guys actaully hit by cop who still has X-band?
or how many guys already disable the x-band?
Is it really worth keeping it on?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2005 | 05:48 AM
umzzz
Cwest Army

I've had mine turned off for a few months now and so far so good. I never really got hit with X-band when it was on unless I was around stores and stuff. You should be ok turning it off.
Old 11-29-2005 | 06:34 AM
southern_info

X-Band is not used no more. You are picking that signal up off of microwaves, garage door openers and whatever else might emit that signal...who knows? The signal doesn't have a far enough range for cops to use to catch you speeding with their radar gun. The signal is like as far as you can see with your own two eyes. Only signals you should be concern about is K, KA and Laser. If you get hit with laser it's already to late just some FYI. Another thing try to master your radar detector because it can only do so much to prevent you from getting a ticket. Like don't speed on an open road with no cars. Only speed in the direction other cars are traveling and you can see with your own two eyes. Mount detector as far up on the windshield as possible.
Old 11-29-2005 | 08:04 AM
isugoo

Thank you for your info.
I installed my V1 stealth setup that same as some of the forum members did.
But unfortunately, I had to turn off my Laser also.
Since I have LCD screen (Eclipse AVN5435) on the dash and my V1 think its laser so it never stopped beeping.

I will be more careful speeding and I will turn off my X-band then.
Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005 | 09:47 AM
dr_gallup

We still have local cops who drive around with their X-band on all the time. It is great because you can always pick them up long before they can get you.

How do you turn off laser or X-band? I would like to kill the laser because I get lots of false alarms from LED tail lights, particularly in the rain. Cops almost never use laser around here (or anywhere I've ever been) and if they do the alarm is too late anyway.
Old 11-30-2005 | 10:32 AM
isugoo

you can go to V1 website and "ask mike" section. You will find the insturction.
Old 11-30-2005 | 12:32 PM
southern_info

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
We still have local cops who drive around with their X-band on all the time. It is great because you can always pick them up long before they can get you.

How do you turn off laser or X-band? I would like to kill the laser because I get lots of false alarms from LED tail lights, particularly in the rain. Cops almost never use laser around here (or anywhere I've ever been) and if they do the alarm is too late anyway.

Are you serious about cops using X-Band where you are at? If you don't mind me asking, where are in located in SC? I take it your from a small town or city then it would be very possible. If you look at all radar detection test for 2004 and 2005. X-Band is not use because it really isn't out there. The major radar signals are KA & K bands.

Here is a link to better answer questions about X-Band:
http://www.beltronics.com/detector-faq.html
Old 11-30-2005 | 07:38 PM
shooter82

i have had a passport for 3 years and only hit once with the x band from a cop....in oklahoma.......i live in texas and they use mostly k and ka band.......luckily they like to leave the guns on all the time so i usually know where the cops are .....watch out in Louisiana though........
Old 12-19-2005 | 05:31 PM
calgene

Leave it on, you never know. I got caught in North Carolina this past Thanksgiving by a state trooper. I couldn't get mad, cause my detector was going off, and by the time I realized it wasn't a garage door opener, he was on me. He was ok, gave me a 80 in a 65, I had hit 105 before I realized he was behind me.

Just this past weekend, I was in NC again, and each time it went off, I came up on a trooper
Old 12-19-2005 | 05:56 PM
andyisphat2004

******cops on NJ turnpike still use Xband****** I got bagged once a year ago because I didnt slow down when I heard the xband because no one uses it and yep well on the NJ TRNPK they still do. Then xband went crazy every other time i passed a cop
Old 12-19-2005 | 09:15 PM
isugoo

cool. good to know.
i'll be driving up to nj/ny this weekend and i will pay attention on x-band.
Old 12-20-2005 | 12:57 AM
lestor

Most of the time that I've seen cops running X-band radar is in small towns in which they usually have dated technology. To be really effective you just need to learn the area and learn what is used locally and what existing radar signals there are. Unless there is some unusual activity, I can usually safely ignore most of the crap it picks up driving around town. Seems like Ka is almost always a cop.. K is rarely a cop around here, it's usually just a Walgreens' door or something.
Old 12-20-2005 | 02:50 AM
zmespeed

i live in bellbrook ohio. and the township around here has multipule cars with x band. so x band is still alive and well out in the country. but its easy to tell the difference between a door and a car witih my pass port 8500 x50, doors dont make you deaf. nuff said.
Old 01-01-2006 | 06:00 AM
calgene

Just got back from Jersey visiting family, and NJ troopers use both X and K bands.