Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

WX-7700MDX Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Dershum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WX-7700MDX Installation

Since my current head unit is well on it's way out, I'm looking to replace it. I really like the looks of the WX-7700MDX, but I'm concerned about the installation. Can anyone who has this unit answer a few questions for me?

1) Is the installation pretty straightforward? Specifically, are the grounds, switched source, etc all well labeled (in enligsh)? Also, are the outputs (front/rear/sub) all labeled accordingly?

2) I'm assuming that I'll need to take my current single DIN mounting bracket and modify it to fit this unit. Or do I need to locate a new double DIN mounting bracket for it?

3) When installing the FM Modulator for US use, is it just a direct plug-in to the antenna line, or does it install in another way? I'm not familiar with how such a device works.

4) I'm assuming you get a little more than just looks for the $750 or so. Looking at the specs, it seems like a good HU (I have amps for output) but I wanted to find out if anyone has any concerns, complaints, or praise about sound quality.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:27 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

First, look on ebay. The Worldwide model is going for around $500 or so, the one that tunes US stations and has instructions in english.

1. Yes, not hard, I got a aftermarket harness kit to mate to the Z harness so no wires cut. Outputs are easy to figure out.

2. Get a double din facia. I got the one from NISSAN japan from japan parts.com but ask others, the US ones are prob. fine.

3. If you get the worldwide one, you don't need this.

4. This unit rocks. Everyone who has seen and heard it loves it. The minidisk is the greatest, I never listen to cds anymore. I used a Sony amp, that was not good, I will switch when I have some xtra money laying around. I used the Sony XM tuner and CD changer, XA-C30 for extra changers, etc. One rocking good unit! Looks like it should be in the Z. Changing color lights match the Z, only problem with it is in bright daylight, hard to see face.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:46 PM
CAN0802

They finally made a worldband model. Good to know.
I'm curious why MD never took off here. I have 250+ MDs I have recorded, some as far back as 1994, and they still play perfectly to this day. Oh well.......
Old 12-25-2005, 01:05 PM
jor8888

1. I have problem once every 6 months the screen wouldnt come up so I had to hit the reset switch to get it back.
2. I dont like how u need the remote to adjust most of the settings.
3. My cd also skip alot on this bumpy car.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Is the installation pretty straightforward? Specifically, are the grounds, switched source, etc all well labeled (in enligsh)? Also, are the outputs (front/rear/sub) all labeled accordingly?

Very straightforward. Any reasonably experienced audio installer will be able to figure it out. Manual is in Japanese, but all controls, graphics, displays on the unit itself are in english

2) I'm assuming that I'll need to take my current single DIN mounting bracket and modify it to fit this unit. Or do I need to locate a new double DIN mounting bracket for it?

Your best bet is to get a double DIN Z bracket, but depending on the single, you can carefully cut the cross bar to convert it to a double. Easy to get a Double.

3) When installing the FM Modulator for US use, is it just a direct plug-in to the antenna line, or does it install in another way? I'm not familiar with how such a device works.

Direct in line plug-in with a power source line

4) I'm assuming you get a little more than just looks for the $750 or so. Looking at the specs, it seems like a good HU (I have amps for output) but I wanted to find out if anyone has any concerns, complaints, or praise about sound quality.

Great sound. Spectacular DSP/imaging capabilities. MD/CD, CD changer controller plus AUX input for hard drive sources

Thanks![/QUOTE]