Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

JL/Alpine/BA or Focal/Eclipse/PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Dream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL/Alpine/BA or Focal/Eclipse/PPI?

I'm currently shopping around for a system for my Z. I've gone to shops and listened to things myself, so you don't need to bring up the usual "They're your ears, don't go by what other people say" argument. I'm interested in comments on pricing and quality, as well as additional costs, issues I need to consider and any other helpful suggestions.

These are the quotes I was given:

1. The only authorized JL dealer on the island:

Alpine 9851: $300 + $100-120 install + $15 kit
BA Pro 60 (fronts): $400 + $100-120 install (or I can also get Z6s for $700)
BA SX 65 (rears): $129 + $40 install
JL 500/1 (sub amp): $500 + $50 install + $30 wiring
JL 450/4 (highs amp): $650 + $70 install +$30 wiring
JL Stealthbox: $650 + $40 install
RCA wiring: $30

Total with tax: approximately $3254

2. The Focal/Eclipse/Precision Power shop (They didn't give me model numbers, so does anyone know which models these prices correspond with?):

Eclipse CD8445: $400 + $75-125 install (They also offered me an AVN5435 for $1600)
Focal Polyglass 6.5" (fronts): $450 ($550 retail) + $75 install
Focal Access 6.5" (rears): $280 ($300 retail) + $75 install (or I can get Access coaxials for $180)
Precision Power 550.2 or 550.1 (sub amp): $500 ($599 retail) + $75 install
Precision Power 300.4 (highs amp): $380 ($399 retail) + $75 install
2 Focal Polyglass 10" subs + enclosure: $800 for both subs + $200 enclosure
Wiring (I think these are all Directed Electronics brand): RCA $75, Power $35, Fuse holder $25

Total (don't think this is with tax): approximately $3294
The Focal shop quoted me $299 for an Alumapro 5 Farad cap and a free yellowtop battery if I bought the whole system from them. They were also reluctant to do a written quote. This makes me wary.

Some questions/considerations I had when getting quotes were:

1. I'm more of a SQ person than an SPL person.

2. I'm looking to spend $3500 or less with a hard $4000 limit.

3. How are Focal subs for SQ? Which models are worthwhile?

4. The Focal shop quoted me $200 for an enclosure. In general, what kind of quality can I expect for that much? The shop mentioned something about a floating amp rack install, but I want as stealth an install as I can get.

5. How are the current Precision Power amps? The forum search I ran had a couple people saying their new line (circa 03 or 04, I think) was worthless.

6. Which Focal component models do you like? Forum search shows people talking about 165k2p and the Utopias.

EDIT: Just FYI, I liked the Focal components and subs I heard.

Last edited by Dream; 01-02-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im Bias, so I would say the Alpine/Boston and JL set-up. See my set-up in my sig.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:55 AM
SkiTTlez

i have a PPI 300.2 on my Polk Momo's in the door and a PPI 500.2 on my Fosgate T1 12. they are 05 models and they are killer IMO. no problems. plus i got them off ebay brand new and MUCH CHEAPER!
Old 01-03-2006, 07:54 PM
imseksy

ive always been a JL head since i got my frist system which were w0's. 2 12 w0's already were loud and gave great SQ. jl is always known for their SQ but they ARE pricey. but you get what you pay for. granted there are subs/amps out there that match that of JL or even probably surpasses in performance for cheaper, but to me JL has always been worth the extra dough
Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

having heard and installed everything you listed, i would say that you will do fine with any of those combinations...

its hard for me to judge what kind of sound you prefer, but for me, i prefer smooth laid back midrange and highs and a thumping midbass. and smooth and low sub freqnecies. My choices would be:

HU: alpine over eclipse, i just have seen too many reliablity issues over the years with eclipse, not that alpine is the most reliable either but i would personally choose alpine. if both are working perfectly, both can sound great.

front stage: i would go: higher end JL (surprised the XR is not listed in your sheet), followed by focal polyglass, followed by boston pro. i am not a fan of boston pros because they are by my ears, too harsh. I personally think the JL XR, both in compoentn and coaxial form, are some of hte nicest sounding speakres in their price range.

rear: who cares, any decent coax will do fine.

amp: JL, Boston and PPI makes quality amps, JL has a bit more tuning features, but if the installer choose the right amp for the job, they all will do fine.

sub: again, JL, boston, focal and PPI all make good subs. the Focal being a bit less output at a certain price range. from a pure sound stand point, balancing output with sq, iw ould choose JL, anything vfrom the w3v2 and up will perform great.

but in the end, all this doesnt matter, by far the most important thing is the quality of hte isntall so make sure you have a good installer do your stuff. i have built cars where hte total retail on all equipment was about 1000 bucks, and have htem sound better than other installs costing 3-5 times as much
Old 01-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Dream

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
sub: again, JL, boston, focal and PPI all make good subs. the Focal being a bit less output at a certain price range. from a pure sound stand point, balancing output with sq, iw ould choose JL, anything vfrom the w3v2 and up will perform great.

but in the end, all this doesnt matter, by far the most important thing is the quality of hte isntall so make sure you have a good installer do your stuff. i have built cars where hte total retail on all equipment was about 1000 bucks, and have htem sound better than other installs costing 3-5 times as much
I assume that by output you mean SPL. When you say Focal subs put out less output for the price, is it substantially less output, such that it's not worth the money, or a decent amount of output with other subs having more? I had a pair of Audiobahn AW1200s (circa 2001) in a sealed box in my old 01 Civic sedan's trunk. In the Z, given the smaller cabin space and closer location, how would a pair of Focal Polyglass 10" subs in a sealed box compare to that?

I don't know much about installs. How would I be able to gauge the quality of a particular install? Are there particular things I should be asking the installer about?
Old 01-07-2006, 04:56 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

yes by output i mean SPL, focal subs dont quite get as loud, as for if its a noticable difference, thats very hard to tell, because we each have our own preferences. FOr me personally, no, its not a big difference, but for you or someone else, perhaps it is.

as for the quality of install...its hard to tell, the easiet way is to take a look at an install they did earlier and ask around about their ability.

there are a LOT of hack shops out there, i have personally fixed a lot of them in my day, i wish you the best and hope you get a good one

b
Old 01-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Dream

Thanks for the help. I don't really know anyone around here who can give me advice on which shops to go to, and obviously any shop owner I ask will be biased. I'm tempted to go with the Focal shop, as I'm not looking to play anything really loud and the smaller cabin space will hopefully make up for any reduction in SPL the Focal subs have.