Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Why does the Bose lower the volume?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 02:51 PM
mike87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does the Bose lower the volume?

I think the system is fine for me. It sounds good for a stock system and I'm not into ripping apart my car to add a system that is better. My only complaint/question is why the hell does this thing lower the volume? What is the purpose?
Old 01-12-2003, 03:22 PM
iboost

Mike87, meet Audio Pilot. Audio Pilot, this is Mike87.

The reason it lowers the volume is that the Bose system incorporates what Bose calls "Audio Pilot." There are microphone(s) inside your vehicle that listen to ambient noise. As that noise goes up/down, the system adjusts the system volume accordingly in an attempt to maintain what it (the system) thinks is a constant listening level.

In my opinion, this was a big mistake on Bose/Nissan's part. While others have tried, there is no sure fire way to disable this feature.

Hope this helped.

Regards,

iboost
Old 01-12-2003, 04:46 PM
ATL350Z

Just search for "Bose" in this forum and you will get more information than you could ever use on the horrendous Bose system.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:55 PM
mike87

That sucks! Who comes up with this garbage. I wanted leather and a 6-disc player but I did not want this crap. If I am cranking some tunes I do not want some system turning it down. Once again that sucks.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:03 PM
ATL350Z

Originally posted by mike87
That sucks! Who comes up with this garbage. I wanted leather and a 6-disc player but I did not want this crap. If I am cranking some tunes I do not want some system turning it down. Once again that sucks.
Ah my friend, if only it were really that simple. The Bose system has been meticulously programmed to screw up your listening experience at any volume. It turns itself up, it turns itself down. If you ever accidentally get a decent volume, it makes sure to remove all the bass from your music so that you can't enjoy it. If you don't like bass, it injects an overwhelming amount. I suspect that Lex Luthor or some equivalent evil genious is behind it, but I don't have any proof.... yet.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:11 AM
qirex

sounds like you dont have the bose "fix"

after the fix is done, the audiopilot is really imperceptible.

i only notice it working at vol < 15
Old 01-14-2003, 09:27 AM
ATL350Z

This is true. There isn't a single piece of Bose equipment left in my car now. My Bose fix was very effective.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:03 AM
pluckyduck

same here, I replaced all the Bose speakers and amps. Problem solved.

-Plucky
Old 01-17-2003, 01:30 PM
JeremyL

Lets start slow..

I just dropped $33k on the car (touring) and want to get rid of the shitty system.

I assume step 1 is a new amp - which nes can I hook up and put in place of the Bose? Any that can drive the installed speakers, maybe more in the future, and still fit?
Old 01-20-2003, 08:08 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what I read in other threads, seems the speakers aren't worth much either. So, by the time you replace the speakers, sub, tweeters and the amp...

There is another thread already about keeping the head unit (with the CD changer) and replacing the rest, ALL the rest...

I think this might be the closest to staying OEM as we can... and I just picked my touring yesterday... hummm
Old 02-09-2003, 09:47 AM
nlauri

Question For those who still have Bose HU and the amp fix is your volume still up and down?

I finally got my baby after 7 months and I am so EXCITED I can hardly get out of the car. Put 180 miles on it the second day after spending the arrival day getting clear bra on. Now I didn't notice any voulme shift while it was just me in car as I listen to cds at 23-25 volume. But as soon as I took my husband for a ride and lowered volume down to 8 the audio pilot would raise and lower and the raise was ok but the lower was too soft and very noticeable. Anybody else still have this with the amp fix that Nissan did? Eventually I plan to change all but HU but am not as disappointed in the sound of cd player as I thought I would be. Good thing I hate radio though ,because it sounds BAD. Any comments on audio pilot after the fix would be appreciated.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:59 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same here

my local dealer changed the amp for me. Results :

A) Radio can be heard now even when I run at +2 bass. I used to have to go to -2 and still would turn it off after a while.

B) Changes in volume are barely noticeable at vol > 15. Below 15, you still notice, but who cares, it never sits there long. I listen mostly at 18 to 22, and don't notice the pilot at that range.

The CDs always sounded OK to me, so still about the same.

I do notice I do go up to vol 22 to 24 now more often than before, so I don't know if the lowered the vol in general.