Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics
View Poll Results: Are You Satisfied With Your Bose Premium Sound System?
Yes
29.65%
No
70.35%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

How Many Are Dissatisified With The Bose Premium Sound System?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose system

I took the plunge and took the car to the dealer. They are replacing both the amp and radio, ordered them last week. I'll post my impressions on the system when Nissan sends the parts and they are installed.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:37 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny. I just got mine yesterday. One of the reasons I opted for the touring model was the Bose....

I bought it in Orlando and drove to Miami (3+ hours). I noticed the level go up and down a few times, but I thought it was in my head. I am glad to know I am not crazy. Build date is Aug 02, so I guess I have an old amp...

As you guys mention, CDs sound better than plain radio, and I was kind of surprised of bass on the radio output. But, again, since I just have it one day, I thought it might just be miss-adjustment.

Q) This pilot thing you mention, is it supposed to increase and decrease volume based on noise like the GM radios do also? Because one of the changes I noticed when I opened the window with more outside noise in the car....

Thanks for all the info, My350Z!
Old 01-21-2003, 07:01 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Yep, sort of...

The Audio Pilot is designed as a means of frequency compensation. It raises or lowers certain frequency levels to compensate for road noise etc. So, essentially, yes, the volume or level of certain frequencies changes, which is what its designed to do. However, it seems to be a little sensitive with the original amp for cars built before Sept. 26. The TSB for the Audio Pilot changes the amp, which essentially lowers the sensitivity to changes in the Audio Pilot microphone (attached to the steering column).

My new Bose amp just came in and I will pick it up, but I will be handing them my old one and taking the new one, as the new one will probably never even be installed in the car. I am knee deep in upgrades to the stock stereo, and I basically decided that if I wanted this Bose problem fixed I had to take matters into my own hands...
Old 01-23-2003, 12:40 PM
soonerz

Thumbs down BOSE Radio

I contacted BOSE and actually got a response back. I was advised that she would forward the complaint not only to the Technical department but to the Marketing department as well. She assured me that she would get back with me in the near future. This was on 1-21-03.
I also notified Nissan of my dissatisfaction and then notified Clarion advising them how bad the BOSE system was making their unit sound. Maybe this will at least cause some wave.....

Redline Touring
OKC
Old 01-23-2003, 03:41 PM
CT-Z

Angry

i can't stand it either... the CDs sounds good, but the AM/FM is horrid. my dealer told me that there is a way to disable the sound fluctuations (related to speed??)...

i haven't figured it out yet...
Old 01-24-2003, 05:31 AM
grogsnorf

I am going to pull out the system as soon as I save some $$$$$$
Can we mail the old parts back to Bose?
Old 01-25-2003, 01:34 PM
Greg

Default Stereo woes

I sent Nissan USA a message, a week ago, and have no response, either. I am just crazy about my new car, but the Bose system as an upgrade is laughable.

My wife just got a new A-6, with the Bose stereo upgrade, and it sounds very, very good. I don't understand how the Touring/Bose got past Nissan development. I would rather have bought the car with no stereo, and no speakers than put up with this.

If Nissan/Bose are going to turn their backs on this situation they will cost themselves lots of faithful customers.

For years I said if Nissan ever comes out with another Z, I'm in. I guess this is what I get for being so faithful to the marque that I buy the damned thing without even sitting down in it.

Business should understand that this kind of customer loyalty is the most precious thing they could hope for, and this kind of stunt needs their prompt resolution, not their stony silence. For a company that got so many things right, it is hard to imagine how badly they just don't get it on this Bose upgrade situation.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:39 PM
ppw350Z

greg, if you would be so kind i'd like you to draft a mass email from all of us here at my350z.com. pm me for details i've been trying to type something up. i've just been way too busy and you seem like you are very well spoken. thanks.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:50 AM
Greg

Default Nissan Bose draft letter

Done!
Old 01-26-2003, 06:49 PM
apr01

The Blose system made my decision between perf and touring. The sound in the perf is WAAAAAAY better than the Blose. With the "premium sound" so sucky, I couldn't see paying the extra 3k just for leather!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:54 AM
NJZLady

I went back to the Dealer on 12/3 for the fix. The Service Manager claimed that he never heard a complaint about the Bose system. I told him about the TSB and he denied all knowledge like I was making this up. At that point I pulled the TSB out of my purse!

With a very red face he said he would "look into it". I told him to look all he wants, but order the fix TODAY.

I've been back once and called several times - still no part. (This place has bankers hours - only open till 5:00 and NO Saturdays - difficult to get to without taking time off work) This Service Manager claims that there was an error on the TSB part number and that he has ordered and re-ordered three times. I doubt this very highly as no one on any of these forums has mentioned a problem with the replacement part number. I know that I am getting the run around here. Guess I have to phone Nissan direct.

You know, I should not have to put all of this effort into getting a part replacement. Paid $$$ for the system and now have to go through a battle for a fix.

This is my first Z AND my first Nissan. Love the Z hate the dealer. Shame huh? My worry is that, let's face it, this is "just" a radio - what if it were something that would prevent safe driving? Is this how Nissan usually conducts business?
Old 01-27-2003, 09:04 AM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was built on 9/02. My Bose sounds good playing the cds.I keep the bass setting to 0 and treble to 3 Ive been experimenting with the volume. Try increasing the volume to 20 and lowering it to 12(with the engine on) Do this a couple of times. Until the excessive bass lowers. Dont go lower then 10. Its weird but the radio will sound much better. I used to own a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Gt with premium sound system(non Bose). The Bose on my Z sounds better. But not good as my home system.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:11 AM
phreezee

Can't really complain about mine... it's fairly decent... I'm not an audiophile.... sometimes I like to just listen to the sounds of the road and engine... a lot more satisfying!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:36 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by phreezee
Can't really complain about mine... it's fairly decent... I'm not an audiophile.... sometimes I like to just listen to the sounds of the road and engine... a lot more satisfying!
The dealer is replacing my amp and the radio today. I am waiting for a call from my Service Writer to get the car back. I took my copy of the TSB w/me when I took my car in for alignment after I had the new tires put on. This replacement is taking place within 2 weeks because my dealer is not one that ignores customer problems. Maybe the petition will open Nissan's eyes to some of the non-service a lot of owners have been subjected to. I didn't have to wait for months, why did most of the rest of you?

I'll post my impressions of the replacements either tonight or tomorrow, it depends on when they can finish the job.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:50 PM
kbsig106

Default What about keeping the bose head unit and replace the speakers

Q:
Has anyone kept the head unit in place and replaced just the speakers? I'm looking into replacing the 6 1/2's and the tweeters with BA's. I know the aftermarket speakers should sound better than stock (par for the course) but I'm also worried.

Any comments??

I know this might have been addressed before - sorry if it has...
Old 01-27-2003, 09:54 PM
MovingViolation

Bose
Old 01-28-2003, 03:43 AM
onecoolee

ROFLMFAO !

I submitted a request to speak with Bose about their sub standard "Premium" system in the Z before Christmas, and I have yet to hear from those f*ckers...

Oh well, all signs of the Bose are gone now, and has been replaced with:

Pioneer Premier DEH-P840MP head unit (metra kit) + 12 disc changer
Audio Control EQX-II
Phoenix Gold Tantrum 400.4
Phoenix Gold ZX600ti
JL Audio XR650-CSi (front seperates)
JL Audio VR650 CX (rear fill)
JL Audio 10W6 in custom fiberglass enclosure behind left rear wheel well (IN PROGRESS)
Phoenix Gold 1.2 F cap + interconnects + power cable
Lots of FATMAT (Dynamat Extreme in disguise)

Work is 90% completed...
Old 01-28-2003, 03:52 AM
onecoolee

Default This is funny...

I took my Touring in for the "fix". I told them about the TSB, and they actually had a more updated version. This was about 3 weeks ago...and they told me they would order parts from Clarion (Blows), and that they weren't sure if it would be 2 days or 2 months before the replacements parts arrived.

In the meantime, I ripped the car apart and started my own install. The delaership called last week and said to bring in my car for a "Stereo replacement". I said "what" ??? I knew it was jsut the amp, after all, what else could it be...so, I stopped by there yesterday, and took in my Blose amp that I ripped out during my custom install, and they said "what's that ???", with a very puzzled look on their face. I said "this is the sh*tty amp Nissan/Bose supplied me with in my Touring model". They told me that they needed my car, and refused to give me the replacement. I even told themn that they could swap out the amp, but they wouldn't hear anything since I had a custom stereo installed, but they refused to comply...they also tried to make an excuse that my current amp needed to be reprogrammed which is total BS.

My suggestion is this, if you are going to upgrade your system, wait until after you have the replacement amp, b/c dealerships (at least mine), gave me alot of problems doing an over the counter swapout. I don't see the issue, personally...they will just get paid for the job by Nissan whether they do it or not, so all they have to do is give me the new part and fudge the paperwork like they usually do...RIGHT ?

THIS GD Bose problem is never-ending !
Old 01-28-2003, 04:48 AM
apr01

Dude, don't you read the fine print Modification voids warrenty, so no, they aren't going to swap out your amp (at least not with a lot of headache)
Old 01-28-2003, 06:46 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by apr01
Dude, don't you read the fine print Modification voids warrenty, so no, they aren't going to swap out your amp (at least not with a lot of headache)
Previous: Giving you a new amp after you have replaced yours w/a custom system is not within their warranty contract w/Nissan and they could lose their franchise if they just handed you the new amp. Warranties are very explicit between Nissan and their dealers and you violated the contract they have w/Nissan. You can hand them your factory amp and protest the lack of quality, but they will not hand you the new one. If you want both, the dealer has to replace the old one in your car before you put in your custom system. If your dealer handed you the new amp, I would never use them again because they would have defrauded Nissan and I would never/ever trust them to do anything on my car again. If there are willing to cheat Nissan, cheating you or me over something else is nothing.

I had my amp and radio replaced yesterday. The amp cures the boomy bass problem and the radio is listenable now. Its not a super system, but a good system as far as I am concerned. I can listen to both radio and the cd player w/o the fluctuation I had before and I am satisfied w/the fix, I never do much alteration in the tone controls and its a factory car system, w/all the compromises that can bring.

I bought the Touring for the leather seats and the 6 disc cd changer, not the radio. I won't listen to it very much, so as long as it doesn't change the volume and blast me out of the car, I don't care. I have had much worse systems in cars and the cd player sounds much better than the radio, so I'm through bitching about it, and letting it mar my enjoyment of the car.

I wish all of you success in your group effort to get Nissan's attention about your displeasure w/the stock system but I have to move on.

Boomer--my opinion, use it or lose it, I don't care.

Quick Reply: How Many Are Dissatisified With The Bose Premium Sound System?