need help removing the console

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 07:14 AM
ctgoldwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help removing the console

Mike952's xclnt post about removing the console got me 90% there:
His post. . . .
The center console can be removed quite easily in a few steps; I have done it now like 6 times with a power issue I have been having.

#1 - remove shifter cover. To avoid damaging the plastic, use a flat head screwdriver (thin as possible) covered in a thin cloth like a tshirt. Have someone push the cover forward where it starts to curve up and meet the radio. This provides a small gap on side nearest to the ash tray. Put the flat head in and pry up each corner a bit. Then pull up from there. Once up, you need to unplug the AC unit cable (white cable) and turn the cover either left or right. I recomend putting a cloth under the cover all around so the cover doesn't scratch the remainder of the console as you work.

#2 - there are two visible screws on the front edge; originally covered by the cover you just removed -- remove those. There are 4 additional screws behind and to the sides of the climate control unit. The climate control unit is a white plastic box. The cable you disconnect in step #1 leads out of this box. Loosen the climate contro unit a bit and pull it forward about an inch.

#3 - Pull off the rubber in the storage / navi area. It's not glued so it comes right off. This will expose two small screws on the front plage of the storage area. Remove those screws. Pull the plate towards you from the back -- at first this may feel tight, but that is the way it comes out. Under that cover there are 2 additional screws; remove those.

#4 - The whole console comes off from the top. Try to move it a bit prior to pulling from the top to loosen any inherit grip it may have to make it easier. From behind the 3 gauges, pull back. It should snap loose. Shortly after pulling it loose make sure you unplug the 3 guages -- the plug is on the driver side.

BUT. . .

I now have the screws all removed as noted BUT when I try to remove the console the top half comes free easily (more or less) but the bottom is ANCHORED to something. Not wanting to break this piece of plastic by forcing it (I'm sure Nissan will require a second mortgage to buy another) I am stuck!

I don't see any other screws (or even places for them). Could this be glued on the bottom next to the radio????

Anybody have any ideas?

TIA

Jerry
Old 01-26-2003, 07:45 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are (10) total screws that need to be removed to remove the console. Two of these just hold the plastic piece in the nav compartment, and when removed, reveal 2 more screws. Then there are the (6) lower screws below the radio.

If you have removed all of these, and unplugged the gauge connection, then the resistance you are feeling is simply the weight of the console. After you pull the top of the console forward a couple inches, try lifting it as you pull towards you.

http://www.scafremon.com/dashremoval/dash_removal.htm
Old 01-26-2003, 10:06 AM
ctgoldwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XCLNT!

Thank you very much the pix are excelent! I missed the 2 screws under the nav box lip.

Jerry
Old 05-18-2005, 06:38 AM
Roger V

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyway to see those pictures again?

sorry I know this thread is over two years old, but I found it in a search.