Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 06:26 PM
tom123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bose Subwoofer

Just bought a 2006 350z Touring and like everyone else, am dissapointed with the Bose system. The biggest problem is the bass is flat but I don't want to put a box in the back and really don't want to change the HU. I have an 05 Murano;the bass is perfect and the sub is mounted on the spare tire. Has anyone changed their Sub to one like the Murano? Would it be a waste of time or sound bad?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:15 AM
ralphpolanco

Default Head Unit Has to Go

Tom, I like you was looking for any easy inexpensive route. After adding an extra sub and tweeters, I still could not get a good sound out of the Bose System. Finally, and if you read all other threads, I replaced the Head Unit. Holly Crap, what a difference. Even helped the Bose speakers and sub come alive.

Before you spend money replacing the stock sub, replace the head unit I promise you won't be dissapointed.

Ordering from Crutchfield made it even easier with there package deal.

RP
Old 03-13-2006, 03:52 PM
JimRHIT

I'd suggest an all-in-one subwoofer unit. That will allow you to tone down the bass on the bass-shy Bose speakers and let you fill in that bottom end nicely with some bass.

Kenwood's woox and Infinity's Basslink are both good options. ~$200 for them ... and installation is a snap. I know you dont want to put a box in back ... but these are quite small .. in fact, both will hide quite well in the bose subwoofer compartment (you could just remove it all together).

Good luck,
Jim
Old 03-13-2006, 07:10 PM
tom123

I really appreciate the tips. In regards to the HU, it seems many people go with the Alpine 9856... anything else out there do a better job at getting the most out of the factory speakers? I really don't mind spending the money, just want to avoid as many mistakes as possible.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:08 AM
fixdrummer

which adapters would you need for replacing the factory bose HU and keeping everything else stock?
Old 03-14-2006, 01:58 PM
tom123

Default Don't Know?

I went to a Car Stereo place today and they wouldn't touch my car. Said the Bose system is too complex and when I asked about the Alpine 9856 to replace my HU, they said "some other shop may do that, but we would not". He said this is due to the "in-line" amps and he wouldn't know how that would work. So... should all speakers, wiring, sub, etc. be changed out? This guy was amazed that I didn't like the sound of my Bose system.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:30 PM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by tom123
I went to a Car Stereo place today and they wouldn't touch my car. Said the Bose system is too complex and when I asked about the Alpine 9856 to replace my HU, they said "some other shop may do that, but we would not". He said this is due to the "in-line" amps and he wouldn't know how that would work. So... should all speakers, wiring, sub, etc. be changed out? This guy was amazed that I didn't like the sound of my Bose system.
these people sound like idiots, i changed out my HU by myself with the adapter from crutchfeild. easy, very easy. and i will be ripping out the rest of the blowse system in the future
Old 03-14-2006, 02:31 PM
JimRHIT

They are confusing this system with the Bose systems of old ... where all the wires/amps/everything needed to be changed.

They are wrong ... just grab a setup from crutchfield and do it yourself.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:07 PM
ralphpolanco

I agree, buy the radio from Crutchfield, installed in about 2 hours. Came with all the necessary harness and mounting unit.

Go Crutchfield or Car Domian
Old 03-14-2006, 07:40 PM
6swhite350z

would it make a difference if u just put an amp on ur stock HU/system ?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:43 PM
JimRHIT

it'll be louder ... not sound any better.

essentially you are amplifying a system already at its performance limits. You will likely blow the stock speakers.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:04 AM
BlackSpec02

Sorry to bring an old thread back... i am about to buy an alpine headunit and ipod adapter from a friend of mine... they are both brand new in box.

I was curious if all i will need to install it is the dash kit and "95-up nissan wire harness" from crutchfield? Is crutchfield where most people bought their dashkits or is there a better place for that? Thanks!!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Kee1337per

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
They are confusing this system with the Bose systems of old ... where all the wires/amps/everything needed to be changed.

They are wrong ... just grab a setup from crutchfield and do it yourself.
does it matter what year Z it is for the Bose to be replaced a certain way? I have a 2003, would I need to replace ALL the wires/amps and everything?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:27 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

you'd be better off doing what most Z owners do. Remove the Bose system and replace with aftermarket. The Bose system is a complicated design the is dependent on its own components for proper operation. IMO, trying to convert the Bose components into independent items for universal usage is too much of a hassle.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:06 PM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
Sorry to bring an old thread back... i am about to buy an alpine headunit and ipod adapter from a friend of mine... they are both brand new in box.

I was curious if all i will need to install it is the dash kit and "95-up nissan wire harness" from crutchfield? Is crutchfield where most people bought their dashkits or is there a better place for that? Thanks!!

Any answers to my question? I have no intention on replace the factory speakers, wiring, amps, sub or anything... i just want a working headunit that controls my ipod (i.e the one im buying 9856)
Old 07-13-2006, 04:39 AM
ZBigDog

^ I'm buying the Alpine 9856 from Best Buy today, they got it for 195 installed, and since I work right down the road I'm just gunna be lazy and have em do it since its free during lunch. I too am just doing the HU first and have the Blowse system. Dude at best buy said I'll need to buy that harness in addition to the dash kit when I come in today so it sounds like we're on the same page here. Hope that helps.

He also told me to add a Bass regulator so I don't blow out the stock Blowse speaks, should I? anyone....anyone.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:42 AM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02

i got mine from crutchfield. they have everything for 03-05 350Z. just look for the option.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:48 AM
JimRHIT

He is correct, you need the harness .. it is ~$20-24.

Don't buy the bass filters that he is selling, not worth it. You will hear the distortion (and you'll turn it down) of the stock speakers before you blow them. All those filter will do is make you music sound thin and bass-less
Old 07-13-2006, 09:04 AM
ZBigDog

Thanks Jim. So to do a HU swap all I'll need is a wiring harness, antenna adapter and mounting kit. I'm not ordering offline and trying to do this before my trip this weekend. But every place I call to do this says different things when you mention Bose, the last guy told me there are different Bose setups for different 350z's and he wont know what I need until he takes it apart.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
BlackSpec02

Thanks a bunch for the info!

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
He is correct, you need the harness .. it is ~$20-24.

Don't buy the bass filters that he is selling, not worth it. You will hear the distortion (and you'll turn it down) of the stock speakers before you blow them. All those filter will do is make you music sound thin and bass-less
This is the harness I find when I put in the 03 z.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QwlabGg...=120707550#Tab
Is that about right?

Quick Reply: Bose Subwoofer