Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sony WX-7700MDX headunit

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 10:21 AM
ProjectGoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, i've been looking into available DD head units for a couple weeks. I want a clean looking system and there are a slew of cool single dins available, but i wanted to avoid anything that looked like a high schooler's car.

The other day i was flipping through my Crutchfield and found the Kenwood DPX-MP4030. I am amazed at the look and functionality of this DD HU. It is specific to the US market, so no FM modulators needed and had everything you could really need (no MD, but it is an acceptable trade-off). Just put the model # into ebay or even google to get a good look. eBay had it listed for $300 NIB, $150 off Crutchfield's price. Here are the specs, as listed by Crutchfield: (my comments will appear in parentheses)

+ Variable 12-color display with custom user settings (sounds cool as far as keeping a running color scheme throughout your car, you can select one of 12 presets, or play with the RGB settings to make your own color. a big selling point in for me)

+ Dimmer and contrast adjustment (bonus for midnight crusing and bright light situations)

+ 10 spectrum analyzer modes (don't really care about this, but i guess it could be entertaining to my passenger)

+ Plays MP3s on CD-R and CD-RW (my biggest selling point, a must have really)

+ Displays ID3 tags

+ CR-2 tuner (supposedly for a boost to FM frequencies)

+ Station naming (nice feature, but no biggie)

+ 5 DSP sound fields

+ Easy and Pro equalization modes (Easy gives you 9 preset curves, Pro lets you set everything individually)

+ CD naming (only a little more useful than station naming)

+ CD text (lists stuff like song title, cd title, artist name, etc.)

+ Full-logic controls (just sounds like more stuff to fiddle with, but whatever.)

+ Dolby B (reduces hiss on the tape player)

+ Direct Program Search System (a relatively useless tape function)

+ blank skip (see DPSS)

+ Cassette music repeat (again, see DPSS)

+ index scan

+ CD changer controls (nice, but i'll just put 60 mp3s on one CD and use that)

+ front/rear preamp outputs (nice)

+ Remote (i love HU remotes. so easy to use without taking your eyes off the road)

I'm just making people aware of this HU. It sounds solid all the way around. I'm happy for the tape player because i will hook my iPod up to the stereo via a car adapter. MD is a great format, but not widespread enough for me to pick that over mp3 playback and a tape player. Hope this helps anyone struggling with the HU issue like i am.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:25 PM
350boom

Originally posted by syf0n
too bad the damn thing doesn't play MP3!
If you get a sony cd changer that supports MP3 format, the 7700 will play it...fyi.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:05 PM
Ohio350z

Why the hell can't these stereo makers release their full product line to the US. The radio displays in English, all they have to do change the frequency imput which is easy. This is why the Japense economy is so F'd up. Crutchfield has some dual din units avaiable (see my post) from Sony so you know they can do this. You can't make money unless you sell the damm product!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 06:32 PM
syf0n

yeah too bad there's no way I'm playing 800 or 900 for the HU PLUS the CD changer. that's not even including DVD :-P

The Clarion thing is only 1300 if you find the right place and that has MP3, DVD, CD, everything and a 7" TFT display!
Old 04-09-2003, 04:40 AM
BRICKS Z

Default MINI DISC

you dont need a 6 disc changer with this head unit just go out and buy the SONY MD WALKMAN MZ-S1 IT RECORDS SUPER FAST AND UP TO 5 HOURS OF MUSIC ON 1 MINI DISC I LOVE IT CHECK IT OUT
Old 04-09-2003, 04:42 AM
BRICKS Z

Default CHECK IT OUT

THIS IS THE ****
Attached Thumbnails Sony WX-7700MDX headunit-sony_mzs1.jpg  
Old 04-09-2003, 06:50 AM
syf0n

Well, what it boils down to is...why bother with more equipment?. I already have an iPod, CDs, etc. More equipment is not the solutions, I need somethigng closer to all-in-one. Besides, MP3 discs are cheaper and hold way more, you should know that by now.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:07 PM
SHIFTZ

syfOn get over it. The Sony wx-7700mdx looks amazing and im happy to trade mp3 playability for a deck that integrates prefectly into the design of the dash.....even the silver dials match the steering column pod and three ancilllary guages, not to mention matching the exact color lighting. There is simply no other deck on the market that looks so slick inside the car......the Alpine design is from the 80s, the Kenwood is way too riced, and the Clarions r stuck in between.

Now can someone tell me where i can find this Nissan OEM double din frame so i can install this thing.....plz
Old 04-09-2003, 04:13 PM
syf0n

Well, I wanted the exact same unit for a really long time. I know it looks awesome and I am honestly still undecided. Also, I have the Nissan JDM plastic doubledin converter. I got it from a member of these boards not to long ago, WHiZ. He went to japan and brought some back if you asked for them. I'd say this was a month and a half ago when I was very interested in this head unit. If he does not have anymore and I do not install the head unit I would consider selling mine to you.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:33 PM
orhanz33

was that last pic of that headunit that folded out the same as the first one that was pictured?
Old 04-09-2003, 08:42 PM
syf0n

yes.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:17 PM
SHIFTZ

syfOn have u tested the frame to c whether the deck is a snug fit. Looking at Toronto350zs frame that he had made, it looks alot thicker. The Nissan OEM frame looks thinner, and now im presuming there mite b a gap.

As far as selling is concerned, im from Australia. This presents a small problem, but if u have any pics of the din, id love to c em, just to c whether the thickness of the frame is similar to Toronto350zs custom job.

Thanks, also ne1 else have any advice about the sony fitting, plz let me know
Old 04-10-2003, 03:59 AM
syf0n

I know that the Nissan part will fit in the space without a head unit, I do not know if the 7700 will fit inside it because I do not have one obviously.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:54 AM
SHIFTZ

ahhh ok no probs. Ive seen a pic of the Nissan frame and it looks too thin. I think there may still b a small gap. Im wasting time here and just going to source some good installers, and have a custom frame made with Toronto's pics as guides.

Thanks for the help syfOn.

However, if ne1 has an opinion on this, plz share
Old 04-10-2003, 08:02 AM
syf0n

SHIFTZ, I will measure the smount of space the NISSAN OEM part creates. please find out the dimensions of the 7700MDX exactly and let me know. theoretically if we stack the idmensions of the 7700 and the converter we should come up with the same space as is in the empty 2DIN slot
Old 04-10-2003, 09:26 AM
BRICKS Z

ill get a new pic up soon but the japan trim plate looks more factory than trying to duplicate i had a custom one that was ok but this looks like it belongs in the car
Brick
Old 04-10-2003, 06:25 PM
SHIFTZ

sounds good syfOn thanks alot

The dimensions of the sony deck r...

178W x 100H mm (syfOn, since the deck is flat faced, just measure the edges straight, i.e. not bending the tape measure to the curvature of the frame.....u prob already knew this lol soz)

BricksZ i could imagine, the Nissan frame would look superb. Thats ideally what id like to fit. Now with the dimensions, we can c how snug it fits in the Nissan frame.

Making a custom frame would b a last resort.

Fingers crossed!!!
Old 06-01-2003, 09:39 PM
fisherprice

I own 2 mini disc players the MZ-N1 and my girlfriend has the Mz-G750.

I really like this head unit and I was wondering if you guys ever figured out if it fit the Nissan Frame?

I really like the option of an in dash 6 CD gives me but the quality is kind of @$$.

Does anyone know how this will sound with a stock speakers until I have the rest of teh cash to do everything else??
Old 06-01-2003, 11:16 PM
syf0n

You can't use aftermarket head units with BOSE speakers because BOSE uses preamps. You have to replace everything.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:45 AM
fisherprice

bummer. Where can I go to find out more info???I have never replaced a stereo before....

Quick Reply: Sony WX-7700MDX headunit