Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Possible fix for auto window down & Breakins

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 10:20 AM
jelledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible fix for auto window down & Breakins

After reading how thieves are breaking into our Z's by forcing the door handle and triggering the auto window down feature I decided to look into the system operation in the service manual.

I managed to find a section about the keyless entry system operation where it say that the dealer using the Consult II device can TURN OFF the keyless entry auto window down feature. This is where you hold down the unlock button.

I could not find anywhere in the manual as to whether this affects the door key switch auto down as well. I suspect it might because the entire security/ entry system is all controlled by the BCM (body control module).

It would be very interesting for someone to have the dealer turn off this auto down feature and see if this also disables the key switch as well. Below is a pic (bad one) from the service manual showing some various options the keyless entry system has.

Ja
Attached Thumbnails Possible fix for auto window down & Breakins-key-fob.jpg  

Last edited by jelledge; 02-05-2003 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:23 AM
abz123

Good find. Hope it works.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:01 AM
jelledge

Default Additonal Info

In addtion to the info in my previous post,
It appears that there MIGHT be a seperate circuit that monitors the movement of the key switch for the auto window down function. IT MAY be possible to disable the circuit that looks for the key switch to be in the unlock position for more then a few seconds and turns on the auto window down.

This is not possible from the Nissan dealer, but might be a possibility by the owner. The simplest way I see in the service manual so far would be to disconnect the appropriate input to the BCM module.

I need to study the electrical diagrams and inputs to the BCM some more. Right now I am not totally clear if the same circuit (wires) are used on the key switch that turns off the security system and allows for auto window down feature.

What I am not clear about is if a thief is breaking into the door handle and manually turning the key lock to make the windows go down then it must also be disabling the security system? The security system doesn't seem to know if the key switch is turned by the key or manually by a thief. So if they can disable the security system and open the door, why bother with rolling down the windows?
Old 02-05-2003, 12:06 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door unlock = alarm off

I agree with the above. As long as turning the key in the door will turn off the alarm then breaking in will not be too hard for a pro.

Pop the lock cylinder, activate the unlock and disable the alarm.

Now, you COULD set it up so that the key will not lower the windows OR turn off the alarm and just use the key fob for turning off the alarm. But, if your fob dies you will have problems.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:48 PM
OP Z

Default I know this may sound stupid...

Don't you guys think that any bad guy/girl that will go through all the trouble of breaking the door handle will just break the window if they can't get in using the handle design "flaw".

It seems that an additional system with glass breakage detection is needed in either event.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:31 AM
jelledge

Default Additional Alarm is needed

I agree, anyone that will destroy the door handle to get in will just as easy bust the window.

The real answer is to get a quality aftermarket alarm and don't leave valuables in the car!
Old 02-06-2003, 08:53 AM
abz123

If they want your stuff, your stuff is gone. Alarm or no alarm. An alarm just makes you feel all warm and comfortable and set your mind at ease.