Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 05:55 PM
z_roadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker upgrade

I've recently upgraded my stock head unit in my z roadster with an alpine dva-9860 and installed an alpine tme-m710 screen. Now i need new speakers. Besides my head unit, everything in my Z is stock. Im not sure what speakers I want, I love bass and I love nice clear sound. What speakers do you guys think i should get? I just want to replace my 2 door panel speakers. I am willing to spend about $600 including install. What will I need other than the speakers? I have a 2005 touring 350z roadster. For installing my new deck, my installer used some wiring harness that has 2 or 3 audio inputs and they go right into your aftermarket head unit and it worked great. So thats all i have for now, what else will i need and what speakers do you guys suggest? Thanks
Old 04-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You weren't clear as to whether the Bose amplifiers were removed/by-passed. Both the amplifiers are the whimpest things every made by human hands, the speakers themselves are a close second. The headend was the best of the three parts (not counting the fine antenna).

The Bose amplifiers have to go. They're not good for more than 12 watts a channel of honest power I would hazard, specifications and claims be damned. For bass lovers you're $600 budget is going to really tight and you're plan to replace the mid-bass speakers in the door panels isn't going to help out with the deep base which really needs a subwoofer system. That said you can get a pretty nice set of component speakers for ~$400 and have $200 for installation.

I would recommend putting some sound deadening material in the doors, by-passing the Bose amplifier and run the front components off of the headend's amplifiers directly. You'll replace the tweeters along with the mid-range/mid-woofer down in the door panel.

A good subwoofer set-up is going to be $100 for the box, $400-$600 for the speakers, and nearly equal amount for the amplifier - figure $1000 to shake your car pretty good. Some here have spent several times that on their subwoofer systems. You can get by with a lesser system with a speaker/box/amplifier combo like the ones made by Infinity and JL if you don't have the "g" for the budget.

PS: the roadster is really difficult to install a large subwoofer system as compared to the coupe.