Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Basic sub/amp install help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:08 PM
HockeyZ39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic sub/amp install help.

Quick stupid questions for all you pro's. When connecting the speakers to the amp does it need to go directly from the speaker to the amp, or does it go to the head unit and the amp? TIA for any help. Sorry for the dumb questions, did some searches but no one spelled this part out.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:20 PM
cleanandquick06

ok, from the headunit you have the low output signals (RCA cables) to the amp, from the amp you go directly to the speaker
Old 05-07-2006, 10:02 PM
HockeyZ39

Cool thanks.

I was asking this question for a install in my brothers car. But looking at my system confused me.

I bought my car with headunit/amp/subs in it already. I recently upgraded to a DVD unit, and just swapped them out. All the speakers were still going to the head unit ALONG with the RCA cables.

Does this mean my car speakers are not going through the amp? The amp is under my seat and it will have to be taken off to get to it, so I havnt taken the time to see if the slots for the speakers are filled.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:17 PM
gt3

Originally Posted by HockeyZ39
Cool thanks.

I was asking this question for a install in my brothers car. But looking at my system confused me.

I bought my car with headunit/amp/subs in it already. I recently upgraded to a DVD unit, and just swapped them out. All the speakers were still going to the head unit ALONG with the RCA cables.

Does this mean my car speakers are not going through the amp? The amp is under my seat and it will have to be taken off to get to it, so I havnt taken the time to see if the slots for the speakers are filled.
Perhaps the internal amp in the HU is driving the speakers and the RCAs from the HU go to the amp driving the subs.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 PM
HockeyZ39

That is probably the case, I will take the seat out this weekend to get a look at the amp, cannot see much under there!

Anyways I just took another look at this amp that I will be putting in my bro's car, it only has two speakers in. Would it be better to let his head unit drive all the speakers? Or put one of the sets through the amp and let the headunit drive the other two? TIA