Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sub position question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 08:10 AM
kohlersc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub position question

Ok I am not a wise man (yet) when it comes to sound set-ups and am planning on installing a sub and amp sometime in the near future.

That being said I have see a lot of talk about putting the sub in the far back of the Z to maximize the sound output. Something about longest wave propogation and whatever. My roomate has been a real stickler about just putting the sub in the bose sub area. He stated that since a sub is non-directional in the produced sound, it should make very little difference where it is placed in the Z as long as it isn't directly shaking a panel.

All of my searching online has so far only produced very intricate specs and technical jargon. I am hoping for a more simplistic explanation where I don't have to start taking sound engineering courses.

Can anyone tell me if and why the sub should not be placed in the bose sub area or conversely in the back of the car?

Last edited by kohlersc; 02-14-2003 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:24 AM
bastard

A sub further away will allow the bass wave to develop more fully, and having it mounted not facing you (so that the wave bounces off other parts) will tend to lose some distortion. This is one of the reasons for down-firing subs in home stereo; some of the undesirable distorted sound is attenuated. Another thing: a rear-firing sub will not be as noticably quiet with the windows rolled up compared to rolled down.

The stock location will be quite difficult to shoehorn a good, tight, sealed enclosure in, and it is a perfect place for amps.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:49 PM
roberto350z

subs do not belong behind the seat. All of the technical jargon in the world wont change this fact that my 11 years of experience has shown me. Rear firing is best, and for maximum SPL, but the sub in the rear corner firing backwards.

very few people that have tried to put the sub behind the seat have been satisfied.

my .00002cents worth
Old 02-19-2003, 09:30 AM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Backwards

I placed my dual subs facing back. With control of the crossover network and db level to all speakers, it's easy to enjoy the best sound quality. What a blast!

Check it out:

http://www.sportzmagazine.com/Z_Home.html