**Need Opinions from Knoweldgable people**

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation **Need Opinions from Knowledgable people**

Let me start by saying 2 things:

1. I searched and searched until I came up with these 2 options.

2. I know NOTHING about car stereo/electronics-this is not my area of expertise

I am in the market for an in-dash DD headunit-that is touchscreen, and plays cd's/mp3's/dvd's the works. I dont want the Kenwood 7017 as its "old" and I have narrowed it down to two choices.

The Kenwood 8017 and the pioneer AVH-P6800. Both seem like great units, both sell for about the same (although Ive found the Pioneer slightly cheaper) and both will certianly be better than stock. For now I plan on just switching HU's. Later I will look into speakers and maybe a small light sub (I race). People really stress (in the search) the Kenwoods 5V Preouts and I have no clue what that is. I like the Pioneer because the screen is 1/2" larger AND is a 6 disc changer, but many praise the Kenwood. All I would like to do do for now is hook up a back up camera (both allow that), and be abe to plug in my camcorder when I want to watch things off of it inside the car. Any help, feedback, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Alberto; 07-05-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:54 AM
momo 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to sum up some of your questions you have..a 5volt pre out is the signal your head unit is feeding your amp's..the higher the signal the cleaner the sound...the kenwood is a very nice and somewhat user friendly unit,on the other hand the pioneer has a slightly larger screen more user friendly..as far as a light weight sub goes..i would check recc.you going with a single 10 i dont know what type of music you listen too..but a sealed enclosure would be highly recc.as due to space and weight saving's..also there is a fiberglass angled enclosure that is easy removeable,just unhook the speaker wires and out it comes..hope this helps you out some..your best bet is prob hit up your local stereo shop and play with both units and see which one you like the best...
Old 07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Thanks. Which one would you persoanlly go with and why? Im leaning towards the Pioneer...
Old 07-05-2006, 01:18 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were to purchase a new DD Unit I would consider the Alpine IVA-W200,
You can get them for around 1k and they have an excellent feature set;

Best I-Pod Integration on the Market
Sirius AND XM Ready
24 Bit DAC with 0-Bit Mute (Great for Competition)
DVD Player is compatible with all formats of DVDR
Great EQ with I-Personalize, You just enter in the specs of your car and it TCs everything Automatically.

Alpine has some of the cleanest SQ Going too.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...&lang=en&tab=F
Old 07-05-2006, 01:22 PM
sq40

Also..

Alpine has the new Powered LAT Subwoofer Systems with built in Amplification. Since you like to race, You can use quick disconnects on your power wires and take it out in 2 minutes if you like.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:26 PM
sq40

Since you are only in MD we can make a weekend of installing this stuff too if you like.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:35 PM
THE TECH

If you listen to most of your music through your Ipod like I do, I wouldn't recommend it. It is very difficult to control.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:45 PM
highside107

Honestly, if you're not planning on doing any significant mods to your sound system, pre outs (like Kenwood's 5V preouts) won't do anything for you. Like someone else said, this is just the signal (the higher the better) your headunit will be sending to your amps, if you even have them. If you don't have decent amps hooked up to your speakers, you won't be able to notice 5V preouts vs 2V preouts (standard). The same also goes for the speakers.. if you have a nice headunit (let's say 5V preouts) that sends a clean signal to a very nice amp but that outputs into your crappy stock Z speakers, you won't be able to tell the difference either. So in other words, if all you're planning on doing is just upgrading the system slightly (nothing serious), I would go with the headunit that has more functions/features that are important to you and not worry about the preouts at all since the difference will be negligible.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Thank you for your opinions-highside thanks I guess thats what I wanted to know. sq40-thank you for the offer I appreciate it. Im going to look into the Alpine, but I doubt Ill every go big/serious with a system and Ill never compete...thanks again.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:18 PM
cbr900son

Originally Posted by highside107
Honestly, if you're not planning on doing any significant mods to your sound system, pre outs (like Kenwood's 5V preouts) won't do anything for you. Like someone else said, this is just the signal (the higher the better) your headunit will be sending to your amps, if you even have them. If you don't have decent amps hooked up to your speakers, you won't be able to notice 5V preouts vs 2V preouts (standard). The same also goes for the speakers.. if you have a nice headunit (let's say 5V preouts) that sends a clean signal to a very nice amp but that outputs into your crappy stock Z speakers, you won't be able to tell the difference either. So in other words, if all you're planning on doing is just upgrading the system slightly (nothing serious), I would go with the headunit that has more functions/features that are important to you and not worry about the preouts at all since the difference will be negligible.
+1 Personally Im debating on a sub at all. I race also and thinkign about 4 chanel amp with good componets up front
and some good rear speakers. If i do go with a sub might just get a good 8"
Old 07-05-2006, 03:48 PM
sq40

Originally Posted by Alberto
Thank you for your opinions-highside thanks I guess thats what I wanted to know. sq40-thank you for the offer I appreciate it. Im going to look into the Alpine, but I doubt Ill every go big/serious with a system and Ill never compete...thanks again.
The Alpine really is geared to be a great base for any system. Serious Competitors will probably go for some of their higher end single din stuff like the F1. It does have a lot of competition grade features though. I have been competing with Alpine for several years and have had great success with it. As a general consumer product I think they have the most user friendly and best sounding units out of the box, bar none.