Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Poor SQ with iPod + Clarion HU

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:16 AM
OrangeZYa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor SQ with iPod + Clarion HU

Hi all,

Wasn't able to find anything like this with search, so hopefully this isn't a repost.

I have a Clarion DXZ745MP HU, and overall I've been very satisifed with it. Decent sound (at least compared to the stock HU and as good as I can expect with the crappy speakers in there now) with CDs. The only problem up until this point was poor FM reception. I've had it around a year and a half or so.

Recently I got an iPod and decided to plug it in using the aux inputs on the back of the HU, a 1/8" to RC y-cable, and 1/8" jack into the headphone input of the iPod. The sound quality from the iPod, as you may have guess from the subject line, is poor. I can listen to the same song through the headphones of the iPod then through the aux input, and I'll "lose" sound when plugging into the HU, like for example I won't be able to hear vocals/guitar riffs at a certain pitch., or they'll be incredibly soft and almost inaudible.

I'm assuming an issue with the HU or the hookup, but I'm not sure what to try. Everything is tight as far as the aux connectors go, and I've got decent RCA jacks going into the system as well. I've also tried tuning it, obviously.

Was hoping somebody else might have experienced something similar and have something to try that I haven't thought of yet. I'm hoping to upgrade the system soon, but wanted to get this issue worked out before putting nice speakers/amps in and still getting crappy SQ from my iPod.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:39 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OrangeZYa
Hi all,

Wasn't able to find anything like this with search, so hopefully this isn't a repost.

I have a Clarion DXZ745MP HU, and overall I've been very satisifed with it. Decent sound (at least compared to the stock HU and as good as I can expect with the crappy speakers in there now) with CDs. The only problem up until this point was poor FM reception. I've had it around a year and a half or so.

Recently I got an iPod and decided to plug it in using the aux inputs on the back of the HU, a 1/8" to RC y-cable, and 1/8" jack into the headphone input of the iPod. The sound quality from the iPod, as you may have guess from the subject line, is poor. I can listen to the same song through the headphones of the iPod then through the aux input, and I'll "lose" sound when plugging into the HU, like for example I won't be able to hear vocals/guitar riffs at a certain pitch., or they'll be incredibly soft and almost inaudible.

I'm assuming an issue with the HU or the hookup, but I'm not sure what to try. Everything is tight as far as the aux connectors go, and I've got decent RCA jacks going into the system as well. I've also tried tuning it, obviously.

Was hoping somebody else might have experienced something similar and have something to try that I haven't thought of yet. I'm hoping to upgrade the system soon, but wanted to get this issue worked out before putting nice speakers/amps in and still getting crappy SQ from my iPod.

Thanks in advance!
Dont worry! This is super easy fix! Nothing is wrong with your HU. You just have to buy a low resistant AUX cables for the IPOD. The message traveling trough the cable to the HU from your IPOD is such a weak signal that if you dont have the slightest of a great connection it will destort the signal from your IPOD to HU.

I hade this problem b4 and I just bought good cables! These cables have to be high rated and HAVE GOLD PLATED CONECTORS. Buy the monster aux ipod cable its $29.99 at Best Buy, they work perfectly! Simple fix Ive done it and have it in my Z, its flawless and no distortion.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:23 AM
OrangeZYa

Thanks Muzzy, I'll give that a shot this weekend!
Old 09-16-2006, 08:50 AM
djscotty

also make sure that the downloads your using are of the highest quality because all that makes the biggest difference in sound quality to.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:16 PM
OrangeZYa

Update: Muzzy was correct, I stopped by Target this morning and picked up the Monster iCable, disassembled dash, attached to back of HU, and now all is well.

Thanks!