Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Fellow roadster owners with satellite radio please help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Beeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fellow roadster owners with satellite radio please help...

I finally installed the starmate, that I bought three months ago, in my 2005 roadster. I placed the antenna on the dash in front of the three gauges. I am getting horrible reception. I only get three bars on the satellite meter most of the time and it drops the signal often.

I also have Sirius in my pick up truck. With both vehicles parked side by side the receiver in the truck had a full signal and the starmate had only three out of ten bars. Another thing that's strange is sometimes the signal fluctuates from three to six to three even when I'm not moving!

Is there anywhere else I could mount the antenna that may improve the reception?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:37 AM
Realrammstein

Lightbulb

Personally, mine was installed to the right, and back, of the gauge cluster. See thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/214001-my-first-350zr-install-featuring-nazar-s-boxes-pics.html

when I 1st tune, it takes several seconds to acquire a stable signal. However, after that, I am solid, so far.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Beeker

I know that the signal quality varies depending where you live. I've heard that if you live further south the reception is better. Also, If you live in or near a city the terrestrial signal strength is usually very good. I live in the sticks so I need the best satellite signal possible.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:21 PM
bdmpastx

For the best reception, you need a metal background to set the antenna on. Pioneer has a metal sheet that is sticky so that you can get better reception. You could try a larger antenna. The smaller ones need the metal behind them. I have a XM radio in my office building and I connected a larger antenna and bingo, I had reception. The other smaller 1" antenna couldn't get jack crap.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Beeker

I'm not sure if having a metal backing will help. I thought that it would so I placed the antenna on top of a 3/4 inch wrench just to see what would happen. The signal strength didn't change. I know that isn't the same as having it mounted on the roof of a car but I thought it would change the signal some if having it on metal actually made a difference.

What other car antenna's do they make? All the one's I've seen are about the same size.