Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help with Alpine CDA-7998 install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 07:03 AM
cobf32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with Alpine CDA-7998 install

Has anyone installed a CDA7998 or the other similar alpine HU which has the motorized face themselves? I have seen some installs on this board using the Metra kit, and I decided to try it myself.

I keep having a problem with the unit hitting the round part of the dash, things not lining up etc. What a PITA!

My ?? is did you use the ISO mounts or the "cage" and what is the best way to do this?

THANKS for any help out there!

Silverstone Performance
Phoenix AZ
Old 03-07-2003, 08:16 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

You cannot flush mount this head unit in the metra kit due to the rounded front of the pocket under the single din mount. I used a motorized face head unit, a Pioneer Premier DEH-P840mp. I tried initially to flush mount this unit like you did...it will not open like this.

So, to fix this problem you have 2 options.
1. Flush mount the head unit, and painstakingly file away the rounded front part of the pocket. THis will fix it.

2. The easier method, and the means I chose was to not flush mount the head unit. Instead I made a piece of trim ring cut from 1/8" thick abs plastic (black), and used that as a buffer between the collar of the head unit and the metra kit. THis gave the head unit the extra depth that it needs to open up and do its thing.

If you search around here more, you will find that others using motorized faced head units ran into the same problems. Its not a major deal to fix, and should cost you much money (if anything at all).

Good luck.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:57 PM
cobf32

Thanks for the info.

I think I will try the spacer method because the HU I have comes straight out, then up, so the top hits the rounded plastic just below the nav door, not the bottom of the Metra kit.

I messed with it for hours last night, will try again this weekend

Silverstone Performance
Phoenix AZ
Old 03-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Lightning

i used the spacer method on my 7998 and it worked perfectly... i made it realllllly close, though, but it works nicely.