Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help needed on running cable from battery***

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Interlagos Fire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed on running cable from battery***

I read the "how to" and it says to cut a x under the wire harness, but I don't get it?? is it referring to the big rubber grommet next to the battery?
Anyway, this is what has been done, I made a very small slit of opening of the rubber grommet, and had to use a little force to channel the 8 gauge power cable through into the car because the material of the rubber is VERY tough! I was very careful on not cutting the big wire harness that was in one piece with the grommet. Now I must ask is this how everyone does it on here when you run the power cables into your Z?
I am worried of two things: That rubber grommet holding the big wire bunch is there for a reason right? waterproof maybe? so moisture won't be able to get inside, now I just made a hole so what should I do? Can I use silicone glue to seal it off with the power wire?
2nd question is: If the grommet is not the place to channel through your wire to the inside of your car then where? Please help and share your experience! I've never done ANY mods before and it's kind of scary to think I could mess up something easily, but I got to say it was ALL FUN taking the inside of the car apart, couldn't do it without you guys and this site!

Thanks

I.F.

Last edited by Interlagos Fire; 10-12-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:08 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after you cut your grommet make sure you seal it up with some silicone so water doesnt get through
Old 10-13-2006, 04:36 AM
Lsmith9523

I am not sure if this has been covered also,,,but another "quick tip",,,,we all know about KY Jelly,,if you lube up any rubber grommet along with the 8 or 4 gage cable,,,,it makes pushing the cable through the grommet much easier...Also, for smaller speaker wires,,,you can snip a coat hanger,,,bend the end of the speaker wire over the tip of the straight snipped hanger,,,elec, tape it down,,lube it up and use the hanger as a guide going through rubber grommets IE (doors/firewall),,,just a quick thought...hope this helps someone
Old 10-13-2006, 06:20 AM
ofl0926

yea i just did an install in a 03 eclipse and i ran speaker cables threw the doors and i used the wire hanger method but i used wd-40. a little messy but it got the job done
Old 10-13-2006, 07:16 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Interlagos Fire
I read the "how to" and it says to cut a x under the wire harness, but I don't get it?? is it referring to the big rubber grommet next to the battery?
Anyway, this is what has been done, I made a very small slit of opening of the rubber grommet, and had to use a little force to channel the 8 gauge power cable through into the car because the material of the rubber is VERY tough! I was very careful on not cutting the big wire harness that was in one piece with the grommet. Now I must ask is this how everyone does it on here when you run the power cables into your Z?
I am worried of two things: That rubber grommet holding the big wire bunch is there for a reason right? waterproof maybe? so moisture won't be able to get inside, now I just made a hole so what should I do? Can I use silicone glue to seal it off with the power wire?
2nd question is: If the grommet is not the place to channel through your wire to the inside of your car then where? Please help and share your experience! I've never done ANY mods before and it's kind of scary to think I could mess up something easily, but I got to say it was ALL FUN taking the inside of the car apart, couldn't do it without you guys and this site!

Thanks

I.F.
You will know you got it sealed back up good if you watch for any water on your floor mat next time you wash your car or it rains hard. I've got rubber floor mats so it was obvious when mine leaked.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:23 AM
OffsetZ33

I have used just plain water before and it makes it slippery enough and no nastyness when it dries... FYI...
Old 10-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Interlagos Fire

Ok now I feel better guys knowing I didn't do anything that would destroy my car , Thanks!
So I will be sealing it up with silicones later. But what if I want to change to a bigger gauge wire next time, what should I do with the silicone? just wondering.......
Old 10-13-2006, 08:39 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

silicone or rtv is flexible and sticks good but not permanent. Just pick at it or peel it off. You'll be able to redo it somehow, don't worry.