Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Newbie with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 01:42 PM
fisherprice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with some questions

First off I have read a lot of posts here.
I have never ever added a stereo to any car that I have owned. They have all been stock.

I have the Touring model with the stock nav and stock stereo.

Here are a few questions. If they have all ready been answered and I missed them please let me know where to go and I will try and follow along.

1) If I replace the receiver can I keep the stock speakers or will I need to replace them? Should I replace them anyway? I want to keep the stock look as close as I can.

2) I like the 6 disc in dash. Can anyone recommend a good replacement

3) With a new receiver will I add an amp?

sorry for being an audio n00b.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:59 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bose does not lend itself to partial replacements. youd need to replace it all. 6disk players are ussually done with a changer put somewhere else, not many dash units come with it, since it requires a double sized dash space, which the Z has, but most cars dont, so the nice units dont come spaced for a size that only a few cars have... if that makes any sense.

honestly if you wanted to put in a custom stereo, buying the upgraded stereo wasnt too smart, but it can certainly be done, and has been done.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:05 PM
ccondo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good place to start

Personally I think a good place to start would be a new head unit. One that would also play MP3 cdroms - I made a MP3 cd the other day, and it has 10 (ten) folders on it. The 10 folders represented 10 mix cds I made in the past. So then you basically have a 10 cd changer. - Except there is very little time between changing discs (folders/tracks)

If you get one that has power in the head unit, you can replace the door and rear speakers and run them off the power of the head unit. - Later you could then add an amp(s) and or sub(s).

If you replace that bose with a $250+ head unit, and a set of $200 seperates, it will sound 10 times better than that bose. - Put and amp and a small sub on it, and it will really rock. I am in the middle of a system in my car, and right now I have a 10 in a REAL small box, and it really jams in a Z. - The sub is in the car with you, and if you fire it up at the rear hatch it deflects towards you.

You wont regret replacing the bose.

There are some real good inenpensive alpine heads with mp3, and the MB quart reference 6 1/2" seperates fit perfectly for me in the stock locations.

Word of advice - dont skimp on the install. - Get someone who knows what they are doing. - It makes ALOT of difference.