Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

PC audio to Amp??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 01:16 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PC audio to Amp??

well this is one question that I was wondering. In addition to the PC, I'am going to upgrade the sound system as well (since i'm going to be ripping panels off for the install). Question is, is it possible to take the audio out from the pc, connect it to a RCA converter and into the Amp?? I'm going to go for a 5 channel amp.

I REALLY do not want to use an FM modulator, and since no one figure out a solution to plug it in to the HU, I wonder if the is the only other possibility?
Old 03-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Garvin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by some install guys that there are adaptors that connect to the cd changer input line that would allow you to have rca inputs. I was planning on doing this as well for some external audio sources (lappy or mp3 unit).
Old 03-15-2003, 07:36 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some head units have a auxilary in, plug into that and your set. easy as pie.

as for using the stock hu, you can look in the comp thread, im thinking a small small cheap amp from the computer, then spliced into the current lines to the first amp.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:11 PM
alphared

well im going to use the stock non bose HU. From what i read, There are NO adapters to have aux in to the head unit. One post someone said that the the CD changer input takes analog signal not digital. Also there is a detector or something that receives a decode signal from the changer and no one has decoded the signal.

There are adapters to do this, but none for the Z.

Ares, i'll take a look at the thread.

So it is possible from what you are saying?
Old 03-15-2003, 09:22 PM
ares
Veteran

I believe so, but as you said, I havent found anyone thats done it on the Z, only on other cars. so its completely theoretical.

Im most likely gonna bring it in to a audio shop and see if they cant work something out. if they could just figure out how strong the signal is from the headunit to the amp itd be fine. just get another small amp and have it boost the signal to whatever the stock amp expects as input.

but in your non bose HU the amp is internal, meaning youd have to find the input to the internal amp and tap in there. if that makes sense. you have to tap in before the final amp so that it can do the lions share or the amplifying and divy up the sound to the speakers. and since the base unit has only 1 amp(the bose has 2 or most likely 3) your input would be line level, meaning you wouldnt even need a amp to boost the signal, since the computer puts out line level signal. but opeing up the unit and finding the right wires and then determining which wires are which is damn near impossible without a wiring diagram of the inside of the unit, which is not in the 350Z service manual, it should be in the bose (or whoever makes the HU) service manual, whereever that is...
Old 03-16-2003, 02:24 AM
alphared

The idea of connecting the audio out from the PC to an Aftermarket Amp, I got from this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=22573

Qbnmissle list ways to upgrade the sound system while keeping the Stock HU.

It saids
From the headunit: A line to RCA converter ($10-15 at Radio Shack) to convert the signal from the headunit to a usable RCA signal to send to amp.

From converter: Depends on the type of amp, but the converters I've seen only convert 2 channels to RCA (FL and FR). If you choose a 5 channel amp, most have 5 channels of input (FR, FL, RR, RL, & sub). You may have to use a Y-adapter to split your FL & FR RCA signal from the headunit to FR, FL, RR, RL, and sub on the amp.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I got from it is that the Stock HU goes into the Amp the out to the Speakers and Sub.
So... If the PC was inplace of the HU (not replace, like inline with it) Both going into the Amp, you can get audio from the HU and PC at the same time? (Which is what I'm shooting for)
Old 03-16-2003, 06:22 AM
ares
Veteran

true true. except in the base system there is no amp outside of the head unit, the signal goes directly from the headunit to the speakers. perhaps Im missing it, did you say that you were going to get a amp for the computer sound? if so, then that would work I think.

and yeah it would play at the same time, and since they are seperate signals with seperate amps its ok.(you can make one play with the others volume turned all the way down, for those times when you only want to hear one.)

this is soo much harder than it should be. I wish we could just have an aux in...
Old 03-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Scafremon

Just curious if anyone has any updates on this subject.

I've got the non-bose head unit, and have same concerns/desires as those that have posted.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:02 PM
ares
Veteran

my plans for sound were postponed when the screen didnt work, once thats done, Ill pick it back up and go to a shop to see what they can do for me. then Ill post whatever they did, and perhaps some can use the info to do their own. not sure how much help it will be for non bose owners tho... but might be similarities.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:54 PM
alphared

well this is what i'm gonna try.
I got a 5 ch amp. going to use a line to RCA converter to hook the stock non-bose headunit to the amp.
going to see if I need to do the same with the PC, if not, i'll just hook it into the amp.