Notices

Q: Should you get the metra 70-7551 or the PAC ROEM-NIS2? A: Get the 70-7551

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 04:59 AM
m_0g

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Q: Should you get the metra 70-7551 or the PAC ROEM-NIS2? A: Get the 70-7551

Disclamer: I just finished my first aftermarket head unit install, so I am not an expert in this matter. That said, this is some information I would have liked to find conclusive answers for before starting my install, but couldn't. I have a 2008 350Z grand touring with Bose sound system and no nav.

It doesn't take a lot of research to find that you need a special harness/adapter to interface an aftermarket deck with a stock 350Z Bose system properly. However, I saw many contradictory opinions on whether to get the metra 70-7551 harness or the PAC ROEM-NIS2 adapter for this purpose. The PAC adapter is a little more expensive, but supposedly solved a common issue of the volume being too quiet when a 7551 was used.

I got the 7551 and found it worked perfectly, zero issues, volume is perfect. From what I gather, one must ensure the ground wires are all connected properly - I simply connected all ground connections to the main battery negative/GND wire. Also ensure the "Amp On" wire from the 7551 is connected appropriately to your aftermarket deck. My deck's matching output was called "Rem(ote) Out", but names may vary.

One other important thing to note in regards to the 7551 is that you should be connecting it to your deck's pre-amp outputs (RCA connectors). DO NOT use the amped output from your deck, since the Bose system has amps built in from what I understand, and amped outputs could blow the Bose amps. You want the deck to have at least 2 pre-amp outputs (front and rear). I have a hard time imagining anyone having issues with the 7551 if installed properly given that my deck has 2V pre-amp outputs, and that appears to be the lowest it gets - I can only expect higher pre-amp outputs to possibly result in louder volume.

So if you're debating between the PAC adapter or the metra harness, I'd highly recommend saving your money, and getting the metra 70-7551. I'm not sure why so many people say to go with the PAC ROEM-NIS2. I can only guess it's due to too many people misinstalling the 70-7551 (not that it's hard to install) and creating this false sense that it doesn't always work.

Last edited by m_0g; 09-07-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:42 PM
openupitsdave

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need the PAC ROEM-NIS2 if you want to retain your steering wheel controls iirc
Old 02-20-2016, 05:12 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by openupitsdave
You need the PAC ROEM-NIS2 if you want to retain your steering wheel controls iirc
Price difference explained. Also ground connections for just about everything inside your car is to the body. Just make sure that surface is clean
Old 05-31-2021, 09:00 PM
Justang99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m_0g
Disclamer: I just finished my first aftermarket head unit install, so I am not an expert in this matter. That said, this is some information I would have liked to find conclusive answers for before starting my install, but couldn't. I have a 2008 350Z grand touring with Bose sound system and no nav.

It doesn't take a lot of research to find that you need a special harness/adapter to interface an aftermarket deck with a stock 350Z Bose system properly. However, I saw many contradictory opinions on whether to get the metra 70-7551 harness or the PAC ROEM-NIS2 adapter for this purpose. The PAC adapter is a little more expensive, but supposedly solved a common issue of the volume being too quiet when a 7551 was used.

I got the 7551 and found it worked perfectly, zero issues, volume is perfect. From what I gather, one must ensure the ground wires are all connected properly - I simply connected all ground connections to the main battery negative/GND wire. Also ensure the "Amp On" wire from the 7551 is connected appropriately to your aftermarket deck. My deck's matching output was called "Rem(ote) Out", but names may vary.

One other important thing to note in regards to the 7551 is that you should be connecting it to your deck's pre-amp outputs (RCA connectors). DO NOT use the amped output from your deck, since the Bose system has amps built in from what I understand, and amped outputs could blow the Bose amps. You want the deck to have at least 2 pre-amp outputs (front and rear). I have a hard time imagining anyone having issues with the 7551 if installed properly given that my deck has 2V pre-amp outputs, and that appears to be the lowest it gets - I can only expect higher pre-amp outputs to possibly result in louder volume.

So if you're debating between the PAC adapter or the metra harness, I'd highly recommend saving your money, and getting the metra 70-7551. I'm not sure why so many people say to go with the PAC ROEM-NIS2. I can only guess it's due to too many people misinstalling the 70-7551 (not that it's hard to install) and creating this false sense that it doesn't always work.
To clarify, for your grounds, you ran a wire directly to the negative terminal of the battery? Or just to a sold ground on the chassis? If so, where exactly did you ground them?
I have both the 7551 and the ROEM-NIS2 being delivered... just in case the 7551 doesn’t work, I’ll switch to the PAC. I’d rather not have to go through all that though.
Also, with the 7551, does your Bose subwoofer work?
Thanks
Old 06-01-2021, 02:47 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Justang99
To clarify, for your grounds, you ran a wire directly to the negative terminal of the battery? Or just to a sold ground on the chassis? If so, where exactly did you ground them?
I have both the 7551 and the ROEM-NIS2 being delivered... just in case the 7551 doesn’t work, I’ll switch to the PAC. I’d rather not have to go through all that though.
Thanks
he hasnt logged in for 5 years, dont hold your breath on getting a response
The following users liked this post:
bugsmoran21 (06-12-2022)
Old 06-01-2021, 03:25 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

You don't need to ground it to the negative terminal of the battery. Just make sure it is grounded to bare metal on the body.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:33 AM
m_0g

Thanks
Honestly, so long ago I don't recall exactly where I wired it too, but as others have said, chassis or negative terminal are fine (same thing really). From what I said in my initial response, I think I wired directly to the battery.

Subwoofer does indeed work!
Old 06-01-2021, 07:44 AM
Justang99

Originally Posted by travlee
he hasnt logged in for 5 years, dont hold your breath on getting a response
Look at that... He lives!
bugsmoran21 (06-12-2022)
Old 06-01-2021, 07:56 AM
Justang99

Originally Posted by m_0g
Honestly, so long ago I don't recall exactly where I wired it too, but as others have said, chassis or negative terminal are fine (same thing really). From what I said in my initial response, I think I wired directly to the battery.

Subwoofer does indeed work!

Great! Thanks for your response. I am using 5V pre-outs. Hopefully they will be enough power for good volume.

I am also going to be using the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 for steering wheel controls. I know there are a lot of posts about this, but I can’t find a clear answer to which color wires we are to tap into on the Bose system. Anyone been through this?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2021, 08:07 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Look at that... He lives!
well how about that..... you should buy some lotto tickets now.
bugsmoran21 (06-12-2022)
Old 06-01-2021, 08:58 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

I am also going to be using the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 for steering wheel controls. I know there are a lot of posts about this, but I can’t find a clear answer to which color wires we are to tap into on the Bose system. Anyone been through this?
There's lots of good info in the AV tech section. Last post on this thread has some wiring guidance. The G35 has similar wiring and there's a link in that thread that may help out as well.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...-1-issues.html

Old 06-01-2021, 09:11 AM
m_0g

Great! Thanks for your response. I am using 5V pre-outs. Hopefully they will be enough power for good volume.

Thanks
Can't comment on steering controls cause I never set em up - but 5V pre outs should be great, pretty sure mine is 2V and that's fine for me, but perhaps a little low on the highest end if you like making your ears suffer or something though.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:05 AM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

I just followed the instructions provided, can't rely on colors. When I wired my speakers the colors were off. Why on earth do y'all want to use the bose stuff with an aftermarket HU? Just bypass it or replace the crappy speakers and wire up a mini amp in place of the factory one.