Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Lcd install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:42 AM
infamous350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lcd install question

So when i put my 7" lcd a few months ago i didnt have a headunit at the time knew i was gunna have to take everything apart again at the time i just plugged the lcd into a power invertor along wiht my xbox now i got my headunit and want to elimante the power invertor i was wondering if i can just splice the wires of my lcd and plug it into a 12v source and ground it or do i need some type of resistor or fuse or somehting?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by infamous350
So when I put my 7" LCD a few months ago I didn’t have an aftermarket head unit so I used the factory installed one. During that installation I knew I was going to have to take everything apart again. I just plugged the LCD into a power inverter along with my Xbox. Now I have an after market head unit and want to elimate the power inverter.

I was wondering if I can just splice the wires of my LCD and plug it into a 12v source and ground it or do I need some type of resistor or fuse or something?

First a power inverter takes direct current (DC) voltage and creates alternating current (AC) voltage. I can believe you when you state that your Xbox game runs on AC power but are you also trying to say that your LCD monitor runs on AC current vice the more typical DC power that the car runs off of?

If you're running your LCD off of AC current you're not going to be able to splice into any wires within the car's harness and find AC power. If your LCD runs off of DC power then yes, you can simply splice into a source of DC power. You will not need a resistor but ought to use a fuse just as good practice. The fuse should be matched to the load of your LCD screen - about 2A ought to cover it.

If you elimate your power inverter what is going to provide AC power for the Xbox?

I ran the fuse for mine down and out of the dash and tucked it behind the passenger's kick panel on the center console and then back up again to the LCD display which I mounted in dash in the navigation cubby.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:56 AM
infamous350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply

well im gunna by a dc power supply for the xbox and i guess the screen is ac but it might have came with something to hook it up dc dont remember i think it plugged into the ciggeret lighter when i bought it and i just cut the wires and soldered it to a ac adaptor and it worked lcd should come dc though but if it was dc it wouldnt work at all ur sayin

is it possible it could be both ac and dc ?> if it only ac wut do i need or wut can i do to make it dc ?

Last edited by infamous350; 11-02-2006 at 09:59 AM.