Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

05 Touring, new HU, stock Bose speakers, bypass stock amp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:21 AM
beaunewcomb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Touring, new HU, stock Bose speakers, bypass stock amp?

I've been searching for a half hour on this, but can't find an answer. I'm definitely a newb here, so my thinking might be way off...

Note: Bose speakers, WITH sub

While attempting a ZPC install, I either broke my stock HU (was using the AUX-in mod for an input from the PC) or I broke the amp.

The HU turns on, but absolutely no sound comes out, from any source. Now, I just ordered a new HU anyway, but when I get it, and once it's installed to work with the stock speakers and amp, if I still don't get any sound, obviously I broke the stock amp. My question is this:

Is it possible to bypass the stock amp, and just hook the bose speakers directly up to the HU?

Can I get a new sub amp to power the stock bose sub?

Basically I need to know if I can use all the stock Bose speakers with an aftermarket amp.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The headend fed line level outputs to the Bose amplifiers. Speaker level sent to a line level input has the ability to smoke them but the amplifers would go in a rather loud way. There are a pair of amplifiers - one for the subwoofer and one for the four full-range speakers. It's unlikely that both smoked.

Have you sent 12 VDC down the amplifier turn-on wire?

By-passing the amplifiers is possible just involved. There's a whole bunch of wires to cross - ten including the subwoofer.

The stock speakers are really low quality - really low quality.

Of all the parts of the Bose system they are probably the worse of all parts. You can use them will an aftermarket amplifier but you'll not improve your sound quality.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:42 PM
beaunewcomb

thanks for the great reply. I've always figured it was the head unit, but a local shop wants to spend a couple hours to take a look (of course)

I'm just going to replace the HU (want to do that anyway) and if it still doesn't work then I'll know it's the amp. Like you said, it's probably not very likely it blew both amps... eventually I'm just going to replace the entire system anyway, but I don't have the cash to do it all immediately.

I haven't tried anything as far as testing it electrically... I'd be interested if you did a quick walkthru.

Thanks again for your reply.. i really appreciate it.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Gilley

IMO, you should bypass the Bose amps anyway because of the funky sound shaping EQ curves that they use. They aren't high powered anyway.

Does your new head unit have RCA outputs? If so, don't even worry about tapping into the Bosr amps. Get a new 3 or 5 channel amp and new speakers and replace the low quality, stock equipment.

Of the entire Bose system, the headunit is the best piece of equipment, and you are replacing it anyway.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:10 AM
beaunewcomb

Well in my opinion, I should too... and I'll have an entirely new system in there within the next few months. =)

Thanks again for your input fellas