Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

KP tech problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006 | 11:27 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran
Premier Member

Default KP tech problem...

Just installed the module on my buddys Z(test mule as I call it). Hooked all the wires to the correct points but nothing...disconnected the unit and now the windows don't work at all...this is bad because they're stuck DOWN! Need help ASAP, is there a fuse that might be blown somewhere?
Old 11-11-2006 | 11:37 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Yeah check your fuses and double check your wires. See if you can roll the windows up with the key in the driver's door. Turn the key and hold it there for two seconds and the windows should roll up/down depending on which way you have the key pushing. This by-passes the switch in the driver's door.

You're not color blind are you? Just checking.

My JT module went in flawlessly and has worked fine for the last 18 months.
Old 11-11-2006 | 10:55 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran
Premier Member

Well shortly after I posted this everything started working again so...yea, that was strange. I realized the module itself had like a shaking sound so I opened it up and one of the components fell off the board...so that couldn't have helped.

One thing though, when connecting all the wires it tells me to connect one wire of the module(green if I remember correctly) to a red wire in the door, well there is no red wire...juse a black w/red stripe. Is this the correct wire?
Old 11-12-2006 | 05:40 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Have you checked with Kevin on his forum (kptechnologies.com)? You didn't say what year Z you were installing it on. I know that the 03/04 models had some slight differences in BCM harness connections and colors than the 04.5/05 models and the same may be true for the 06s. I don't know if there are changes in the door wiring but that's always possible.

I assume you're installing the Window Up module, right?
Old 11-12-2006 | 07:47 AM
KPierson
Banned

What year is this Z? Did you meter all the wires before making connections?

I looked through the service manuals for the 03s and 04s and couldn't find any black/red wires. I'm assuming you were working on an 05 or newer?

I'm going to assume that the black/red wire was not the right wire, it was most likely a constant 12VDC signal. Our module outputs a (-) signal. When the module was triggered it most likely directly shorted out the output, and the loose piece is most like the current limiting resistor, or less likely the output transistor. The good news is it's fixable, and will be fixed for free under warranty.

Do you have access to a volt meter? The wire you are looking for will read 5vdc at all times, until the key is turned and held in the key cylinder 'LOCK' position, at which point it will drop to 0vdc. The power window switch HAS to be plugged in for this to read right.

Send me a PM and we'll get the warranty stuff taken care of and you'll have this working in no time.
Old 11-12-2006 | 06:16 PM
KPierson
Banned

I just got the '05 manual:

12vdc - White
Ground - Black
RAP - Brown
Door Lock Cylinder - Black/Red
Door lock actuator - Purple (behind speaker)

Do you have any idea what component fell off?
Old 11-12-2006 | 07:24 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran
Premier Member

Originally Posted by KPierson
What year is this Z? Did you meter all the wires before making connections?

I looked through the service manuals for the 03s and 04s and couldn't find any black/red wires. I'm assuming you were working on an 05 or newer?

I'm going to assume that the black/red wire was not the right wire, it was most likely a constant 12VDC signal. Our module outputs a (-) signal. When the module was triggered it most likely directly shorted out the output, and the loose piece is most like the current limiting resistor, or less likely the output transistor. The good news is it's fixable, and will be fixed for free under warranty.

Do you have access to a volt meter? The wire you are looking for will read 5vdc at all times, until the key is turned and held in the key cylinder 'LOCK' position, at which point it will drop to 0vdc. The power window switch HAS to be plugged in for this to read right.

Send me a PM and we'll get the warranty stuff taken care of and you'll have this working in no time.
The Z is a 2006 model. I didn't volt meter anything as I figured the diagram that came with the module would be correct, but I'll double check them all before re-installing the part as I didn't realize the diagram was for 03-04 models only.

12vdc - White
Ground - Black
RAP - Brown

Ok, that would probably help to at least have the correct wires hooked up. haha When we opened it up it was a little black cylindrical shaped thing. Not sure what it's called but yea...that's what it looks like. I was looking at the board though and there's no where that it would have fallen off of. Like, there's no empty solder points anywhere, it seems like the piece was put in but not soldered in place.

Anyway, I'll get my buddy to contact you about the warranty as it's his car, gotta make him do something since I always get stuck installing his ****. haha

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 11-12-2006 | 11:40 PM
sorphin

It's the 06 Manual :-P they jsut made teh last revision in Aug of 2005.

12vdc - White
Ground - Black
RAP - Brown

Old 12-03-2006 | 03:03 PM
KPierson
Banned

The module should be on it's way back to you guys tomorrow!
Old 12-03-2006 | 07:26 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran
Premier Member

Ok cool, thanks for the update man! I'll let you know how it works out!
Old 12-27-2006 | 04:31 AM
KPierson
Banned

Any updates?