Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

haltech and steering angle sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 10:45 AM
aarrgghh

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default haltech and steering angle sensor issue

Has anyone run to something like this?

I just recently installed an AAM TT kit with a Haltech PnP. After getting it running the VDC/Slip lights were on. Tracked this down to the steering angle sensor. Had a friend who is a long term Nissan tech use consult to reset the sensor to 0, but it won't reset. Just picked up another sensor, we connected it before installing, and read clear, no code. Then installed and started and moved the car to start the reset process and the replacement sensor has an error and reads 3276.8 (again), and now won't reset.

So we checked the wiring between the VDC/ABS module, and the power and ground, and verified no shorts on the two CAN bus connections. Even checked the alternator for too much ripple (no).

Only thing we can think of is some weird CAN bus issue with the Haltech talking on the bus triggering the fault. Admittedly, this is unlikely as the Haltech PnP has been around awhile and isn't uncommon. At $200 a pop for the sensor I don't want to throw a ton of money on tracking down the cause, so I'm looking for any similar issues from other Haltech cars.

Car is tuned and drivable, just no VDC/traction control or cruise. Also, I can't play with wheel slip based boost or timing as the wheel slip signal is from the ABS controller and it's doesn't calc in this mode.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:26 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

That is odd. While unlikely, it could be a CAN issue for your particular model. I assume you are using the latest firmware. Anyway, I would try contacting Haltech USA and Hal over at Dynosty.

EDIT: I think it is more likely you need to take the car to the dealer and have a proper reset done. If it won't reset something is wrong with the VDC/ABS computer and/or your reset tool.

Last edited by rcdash; 09-16-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Why no, disco you steering nuckle and move your steering wheel unill it zeros out the reconnect it? Thats what im going to have to do to G35.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:50 PM
aarrgghh

Originally Posted by Conway_160
Why no, disco you steering nuckle and move your steering wheel unill it zeros out the reconnect it? Thats what im going to have to do to G35.
That's a good way to break your spiral cable (ask me how I know...)
Old 09-17-2015, 12:55 PM
aarrgghh

Originally Posted by rcdash
That is odd. While unlikely, it could be a CAN issue for your particular model. I assume you are using the latest firmware. Anyway, I would try contacting Haltech USA and Hal over at Dynosty.

EDIT: I think it is more likely you need to take the car to the dealer and have a proper reset done. If it won't reset something is wrong with the VDC/ABS computer and/or your reset tool.
My tech friend is a 30+ year Nissan tech and we did the first attempt at a reset with his consult at the dealer. He also swapped the used sensor in after connecting it and checking it on the dealer consult system. Due to the need to use a consult to re-zero the sensor properly, I've been going to him/the dealer to try to solve this issue.

We did check the CAN bus wiring for continuity, shorts to ground, and off resistance, and the pin connectors at the sensor end. He found a similar report in the North American tech db where the pins on the ABS module had a poor fit. We didn't check that (yet) as it talks to consult and the wheel sensors through those just fine, but that's next. I can probably get my hands on another ABS module to check to see if it's the issue.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:27 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by aarrgghh
That's a good way to break your spiral cable (ask me how I know...)
This all depends on the direction and how far wound the spiral cable is to start with. It is possible to undo a single malrotation or 1/2 rotation this way.

Of course the best solution is to put things back together exactly as they were taken apart, marking everything appropriately.

Last edited by rcdash; 09-18-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:30 PM
louisville13

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is a super old thread but I am having the same exact issue and can't figure it out. Was a solution to this ever found?
Old 06-22-2020, 01:01 PM
aarrgghh

No, just been ignoring it. I do have another sensor I could put in and access to another car with a functioning ABS/VDC module I could borrow for testing. I did get my own traction control working by using the wheel speed difference signal instead of wheel slip as that's valid. So other than no cruse control the only effect is I don't need to turn VDC off every time I start the car (and the VDC/slip light is on).

I have also bench tested the new sensor on a can bus to a system I control. The sensor goes from ok to reading 32768 if turned past +/- 720 degrees as mine in the car is. The difference is, it clears on a power cycle where the one in the car does not. I've got a datasheet for a similar sensor that shows the raw can data and error codes I found online.

Did you go Haltech PnP and who did your tune? (I'm tuned by Speciality Z).
Old 06-22-2020, 05:08 PM
louisville13

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, just been ignoring it. I do have another sensor I could put in and access to another car with a functioning ABS/VDC module I could borrow for testing. I did get my own traction control working by using the wheel speed difference signal instead of wheel slip as that's valid. So other than no cruse control the only effect is I don't need to turn VDC off every time I start the car (and the VDC/slip light is on).

I have also bench tested the new sensor on a can bus to a system I control. The sensor goes from ok to reading 32768 if turned past +/- 720 degrees as mine in the car is. The difference is, it clears on a power cycle where the one in the car does not. I've got a datasheet for a similar sensor that shows the raw can data and error codes I found online.

My Z was tuned by Dynosty, but built by another shop and I use a Haltech platinum pro. When I got the car back Dynosty thought the steering rack was put in crooked because the VDC was freaking out. I had a shop look at it and everything was right, but they noticed when I put the steering hub on the rubber piece on the clock spring was not aligned with the hole in the hub. We thought that was the issue and fixed that. But then the VDC still wasn't working. The shop looked at the clock spring and said it spun too many times and broke, so we replaced that. Now they aren't able to zero out the steering angle sensor. I think it works at first but then freaks out when they start the car again. The last time they tried to calibrate it they said they couldn't even get a reading of the steering degree. They think my sensor might be bad. I did a little research and came across your thread because apparently we are the only two with this issue. I called Haltech to ask them about it and they said that is something that might have to be reset with a nNissan tech's diagnostic tool. I also called Dynosty to see if they had come across this issue before and they said no.

Currently I have the YAW sensor unplugged which may keep Dynostys traction control from working (they said it has to do with the ABS module so as long as my odometer is working their traction control is working but I am not so sure.) I now have the option of dealing with the dealership or maybe replacing the steering sensor. I just want to make sure that whatever gets done this time actually fixes my issue.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:27 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

Seems like that sensor would be tied to something other than the ECM...like a BCM or similar.

Also note that 32768 is key because that is over the limit of an integer in 16bit notation signed (if negative then it is in range, at the max limit)

Never had this issue, have had a haltech since 2009 and taken the coupler off a dozen times.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:28 AM
aarrgghh

The scary thing is that a good sensor can read no codes, be zero'd by consult, then be installed and get into an 'un-calibrated' state, and not be able to be zero'd out by consult. So I don't know if a new sensor solves the problem as I've already done that. I do plan on trying the other sensor that works that I have.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:05 PM
aarrgghh

Update, I bought one of these:
iCarsoft CR V2.0 Diagnostic Scan Tool iCarsoft CR V2.0 Diagnostic Scan Tool
to allow me to put the electronic park brake into 'pad mounting position' on my wife's LR4.

Anyway, I also downloaded the Nissan toolset, it has a steering angle reset/cal function. With zero hope or expectation gave it a shot, and it worked. I can see the sensor data in the haltech software and it seems to function normally. Don't know what it did, if anything, beyond the dealer consult tool we were using.

Now, I just need to work out why my cruise control won't engage and get used to turning off VDC again, but at least I no longer have any warning lights on the dash.

Last edited by aarrgghh; 09-14-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:16 AM
akuma69

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i FIXED my issue!!
Old 02-20-2021, 04:36 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by akuma69
i FIXED my issue!!
not sure why people do this....

help others. Tell them what fixed it.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:21 AM
Dali84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akuma69
i FIXED my issue!!
how did you fix ?
Old 05-01-2022, 11:04 AM
BMartin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed P2A03

Originally Posted by Dali84
how did you fix ?
I spoke with a retired Nissan Mechanic about the P2A03 code on my daughters car. He said to check the support bracket that attaches to the catalytic converters and bolts to the transmission. The pipe cracks where it is welded to the bracket. I checked and he was right. It was cracked and letting air in before the 02 sensor. He said it is very common on these cars