Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Gauge wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:00 AM
sumfknguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge wiring question

I have the whole steering column (Wheel, column, and the damn wiring harness) that came out of a 04 Base Z. I bought the engine and tranny that was in this wrecked car and would like to confirm the mileage by hooking up the wiring to a 12V lead to see where this car died at. I was told it was 4K miles.. and I know these people who I bought this from.. but I am just curious is all...

Anyone know which 2 wires I can hook up to get the cluster going?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I not sure but I would think that the milage wouldn't be stored in the guage itself. Seems like a simple/cheap hack to roll back the milage by buying a new guage or removing one from a car that might have been totaled.

Page 11 of the Driver's Information manual has the ten wires that interconnect with the rest of the car.

Terminals 10,11,12 get ground. Terminal 14 and 23 ACC. Terminal 18 gets illumination. Terminal 24 gets battery. Terminal 20 vehicle speed signal. Terminal 21 gets TX communication line. Terminal 22 gets teh RX from the communication line. You may also have to see up the CAN network too.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:50 AM
sumfknguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info man.. I will see what happens and post the results here incase anyone is interested..

I know in the past, a friend of mine had an avalanche (eww). He would swap the gauges out over time to keep his mileage down.. shady I know.. but with this, I would assume that the mileage is stored within the gauges..

everything is there.. the ECU, complete wiring harness, all still connected to the steering column.. feels like 20lbs of wire when picked up..

for peace of mind.. I would like to confirm what this engine had on it. It "looks" like an engine that was just pulled out of a car with 4K miles as it's cleaner than ****.. but we all know what assumptions can do..