Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Rear speaker fills?????? 6.5"coaxials or just mid bass?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Z1truth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear speaker fills?????? 6.5"coaxials or just mid bass?

I'm going ALL KICKER baby!!!! First I'm powering the highs and mids with a Kicker ZX650.4 amp to the Kicker SS65.2 component speakers in front and my Kicker VX 2ohm 10"subs with the KickerZX1000.1 amp in a Zenclosures box with amp rack for more sealed box volume.
Now the only question is do I do the rears with Kicker midbass fill or coaxials for added high. This is such a small cabin and the speakers are behind the headrests blocked, so all you audiophiles out there......what works best in our Z33 for rears??????????
Old 12-23-2006, 12:31 PM
first350

NICE...I'm running all of Kicker's stuff in Zenclosure's S-type box...you'll love it.

I'm not audiophile, but here's my set-up:

front: kicker 6.5" components
Rear: Kicked 6.5" coaxial
Amp: 700.5
Sub; Solobaric 10" L5

I love how it sounds.

-Peter
Old 12-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Z1truth

Originally Posted by first350
NICE...I'm running all of Kicker's stuff in Zenclosure's S-type box...you'll love it.

I'm not audiophile, but here's my set-up:

front: kicker 6.5" components
Rear: Kicked 6.5" coaxial
Amp: 700.5
Sub; Solobaric 10" L5

I love how it sounds.

-Peter
Cool!!!!! So with both tweeters in front and in back in the coaxials it's not too schrill or too much highs???? Also which kicker coaxials did you use???
Old 12-23-2006, 02:00 PM
wtf no turbo

I bought 2 sets of ss65.2 and made the rears coax per instructions. Im running almost exact same set up 700 and a 1000 amp as well
Old 12-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Z1truth

Originally Posted by wtf no turbo
I bought 2 sets of ss65.2 and made the rears coax per instructions. Im running almost exact same set up 700 and a 1000 amp as well
OK OK SOOOOOOOOO how does it sound!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2006, 05:33 PM
wtf no turbo

Not sure yet im still painting door pods.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:58 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sorry but you used the words audiophile and rears in the same sentence! Have you ever really considered not having rears? If you don't realize that you don't need them yet spend some time hunting down a nice system to listen to. Rear speakers do nothing but disrupt the fronts.
I know that in the end it's your preference and what sounds good to you but save yourself some money and at least consider you do not need them. I realize this is about the most highly debateable subject in car audio but I hold my ground that you shouldn't be using rears.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:36 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat; right in the middle of my install and wondering what to do about the rears. I already bought them, so I'm putting them in, but they are bi-ired to the mid and tweeter, so I could leave the tweeter disconnected if I want. I'll prob. test the sound before I re-install all the interior panels and figure out what sounds the best to me.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Z1truth

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
I'm in the same boat; right in the middle of my install and wondering what to do about the rears. I already bought them, so I'm putting them in, but they are bi-ired to the mid and tweeter, so I could leave the tweeter disconnected if I want. I'll prob. test the sound before I re-install all the interior panels and figure out what sounds the best to me.
Keep me posted bro!
Old 12-23-2006, 11:06 PM
first350

Originally Posted by Z1truth
Cool!!!!! So with both tweeters in front and in back in the coaxials it's not too schrill or too much highs???? Also which kicker coaxials did you use???

I think it sounds great ~ granted that I'm no expert, but I can turn up the tunes super loud and it's not the highs that get too loud.

-Peter

*compared to many experts on this forum, I'm weird b/c I like the rear speakers...I have most of the sound coming from the fronts, but I like some rear fill - it sounds more complete to me.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Rob_Quads

Originally Posted by bjr
I'm sorry but you used the words audiophile and rears in the same sentence! Have you ever really considered not having rears? If you don't realize that you don't need them yet spend some time hunting down a nice system to listen to. Rear speakers do nothing but disrupt the fronts.
I know that in the end it's your preference and what sounds good to you but save yourself some money and at least consider you do not need them. I realize this is about the most highly debateable subject in car audio but I hold my ground that you shouldn't be using rears.
Agree 100% - Save the money on the rears and you will have a better sounding system overall. Spend the money on getting even better fronts/better amp and it will be much better setup
Old 12-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Mark Basford

Default Rears???

A couple of points:
If you go to see a live band, do you listen to them with your back to the stage?
Front speakers are vital for quality and stereo perception. The rears are almost like an echo.
Do away with the rears completely, spend the cash on the fronts and a decent sub. Couple that with a quality amp and that's all you will need.
And, keep the tweeters in front of you as much as possible and pointing at your head! Remember that the higher the frequency, the more directional the sound (that's why the sub is behind you!).

mb
Old 12-26-2006, 06:19 AM
MustGoFastR

Personally, I prefer the sound of music on my multi-channel home theater system to a live concert; having fill speakers around and behind you imerse you in the experience as if you are on stage as opposed to in the audience. Plus, if you have an entertainment system in the car, as opposed to just a stereo (DVDs, video games, etc.), rear speakers are a must.

I still haven't experimented with my system that's going in yet, but I should be at that point today. My only quwestions are whether or not to hokk up the rear tweeters and the position of the front tweeters (stock locations or kick panels).
Old 12-26-2006, 06:32 AM
RunyonAve

You drive a 2 seater man. Forget about the rear speakers. Go 3 way componets upfront and enjoy. 8.3 dls in the front if you nuts like me.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Mark Basford

Personally, I prefer the sound of music on my multi-channel home theater system to a live concert; having fill speakers around and behind you imerse you in the experience as if you are on stage as opposed to in the audience. Plus, if you have an entertainment system in the car, as opposed to just a stereo (DVDs, video games, etc.), rear speakers are a must.

I still haven't experimented with my system that's going in yet, but I should be at that point today. My only quwestions are whether or not to hokk up the rear tweeters and the position of the front tweeters (stock locations or kick panels).
Leave the rear tweets and position the fronts in the stock locations. Better if you can angle them towards you too!
Old 12-26-2006, 03:14 PM
MustGoFastR

Well, I finally got it together to the point where I could hook up the fronts and experiment with tweeter location... There is a significant difference between the stock location and putting them on the kick panels and aiming them right at your ears; the sound is much better an warmer with them on the kicks, so that's where they're going.

Tomorow I'll get the front buttoned up and experiment with the rears.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:53 AM
bjr

Plus, if you have an entertainment system in the car, as opposed to just a stereo (DVDs, video games, etc.), rear speakers are a must.
Agree 100%. Original poster seemed focused on tunes though. Definately need multiple speakers in car HT just like at home
Old 12-27-2006, 03:56 AM
bjr

Well, I finally got it together to the point where I could hook up the fronts and experiment with tweeter location... There is a significant difference between the stock location and putting them on the kick panels and aiming them right at your ears; the sound is much better an warmer with them on the kicks, so that's where they're going.

Tomorow I'll get the front buttoned up and experiment with the rears.
Glad to hear that you figured out the kickpanel thing. This will usually bring up a huge argument too. The stock location is wrong for so many reasons. Glad you found a good spot for your tweets. If you can recognize the difference between kicks and stock tweeter location I would think that if you live with just fronts for a few days you are going to find the rears distracting but good luck! At least it sounds like you will know what you want in the end by listening to it.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:48 AM
MustGoFastR

Yeah, we'll just have to see; I'll play with the rears today. I was considering just hooking up the rear mids, but I DO have DVD in my car, so I'll prob have to hook the tweets up too. I guess I can always just use the fader to put the bias toward the front for music, if it sounds better to me...
Old 12-27-2006, 07:01 AM
bjr

Oh, you do have DVD. If it has Surround sound processing you would definately want the full range rears hooked up. Like you said, when you just listen to tunes you can always set the fader full to the front
I missed you had DVD. I don't think there is any other way to do it than put in some rears and use them fully knowing you can switch them off for music if you don't like them.
Does your HU save different setup memories for different input sources by chance?

Quick Reply: Rear speaker fills?????? 6.5"coaxials or just mid bass?