Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Rear speaker fills?????? 6.5"coaxials or just mid bass?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:30 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,283 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Basford
A couple of points:
If you go to see a live band, do you listen to them with your back to the stage?
Front speakers are vital for quality and stereo perception. The rears are almost like an echo.
Do away with the rears completely, spend the cash on the fronts and a decent sub. Couple that with a quality amp and that's all you will need.
And, keep the tweeters in front of you as much as possible and pointing at your head! Remember that the higher the frequency, the more directional the sound (that's why the sub is behind you!).

mb
You can't compare a stadium to a car. They're completely different. Don't run co-ax's in the rear, but some mids with your deck faded mostly to the front will sound good. Also, although you do want the tweeters firing towards your ears, they sound best when mounted as far away as possible. In many cars, tweeters mounted low on the door, but pointed up, sound much better than mounting them to the A-pillars. This is because the farther away they are, the less you'll hear the time difference between right and left tweeters. This isn't a problem if you have a high end deck that will allow you to delay the left tweeter signal so that left and right signals reach your ear at the same time. If your deck doesn't have this feature, the best way to compensate is to place the tweeters as far away from you ears as possible.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:14 PM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1truth
I'm going ALL KICKER baby!!!! First I'm powering the highs and mids with a Kicker ZX650.4 amp to the Kicker SS65.2 component speakers in front and my Kicker VX 2ohm 10"subs with the KickerZX1000.1 amp in a Zenclosures box with amp rack for more sealed box volume.
Now the only question is do I do the rears with Kicker midbass fill or coaxials for added high. This is such a small cabin and the speakers are behind the headrests blocked, so all you audiophiles out there......what works best in our Z33 for rears??????????

rear fill ( never touch the stuff)

if your chossing kicker vx 2ohm 10" subs , are you putting 2 each or 1 each in

if you putting in 2 than your than 600 rms each x 2 = 1200
that amp only makes 1000 watts at 14 volts

so you aint giving full power

if you using 1 sub with that amp your giving to much power
Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Mark Basford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by i8acobra
You can't compare a stadium to a car. They're completely different. Don't run co-ax's in the rear, but some mids with your deck faded mostly to the front will sound good. Also, although you do want the tweeters firing towards your ears, they sound best when mounted as far away as possible. In many cars, tweeters mounted low on the door, but pointed up, sound much better than mounting them to the A-pillars. This is because the farther away they are, the less you'll hear the time difference between right and left tweeters. This isn't a problem if you have a high end deck that will allow you to delay the left tweeter signal so that left and right signals reach your ear at the same time. If your deck doesn't have this feature, the best way to compensate is to place the tweeters as far away from you ears as possible.
Good point re the tweetwer distances. The delay trick is a great way of figuring this into the install but not many systems have this (at least not in the UK without getting serious money out on some sort of processor).

On the point of subs, I want to upgrade the sub and would like to keep the stock location and retain boot space (trunk?).

Whats the opinion on the best drop in replacement for the Bose kit?
Old 12-28-2006, 06:53 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,283 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Basford

Whats the opinion on the best drop in replacement for the Bose kit?
For a true "drop-in" you're going to want something like a Kicker Free-Air which doesn't require a box.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:31 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I got my system finished up yesterday. I endes up using the full rears with tweeters connected as well. Since the tweets pretty much just shoot into the back of the seats, they don't do much anyway, but the extra fill from the mids is nice. It deffinitely moves the soundstage further back, so when I tune my system, I'll likely fade it to the front a bit to compensate.

If I was doing a music only system, I'd likely have been quite happy with front components only and no rears, but as I already had them and also have DVD in my car, I'm happy with this setup.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:35 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

COOL. Glad it turned out for you.
Get out there and enjoy it!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 PM
tractng

Does the Kicker SS65.2 fit perfect on the doors without modding the grille?

I had the Infiniti Perfect and it was a pain to get it to fit. When volume was up, it would still hit the grille.

Tony
Old 01-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Z1truth

Well I'm now looking at CDT Audio HD-62 Components and a set of their midd bass for rear fills. I can fade those rears in or out with the separate volume control I have with my WX7700MDX HU! Nowhere on the web has ANYONE talked down the CDT's. They give you warm mid bass and thats what I like!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:54 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by i8acobra
For a true "drop-in" you're going to want something like a Kicker Free-Air which doesn't require a box.
My plan has always been for a free-air configuration in stock location as well, especially since there are so many good f-a subs on the market these days. But what about mounting options? I don't know if there is enough room for an MDF template in the thickness needed. What else could be used?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:01 PM
2005daytonaZ

what would your recommendations be for tweeter placement without the kicks? I'm going to be getting some components this week and am unsure to where I want my tweeters.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Z1truth

Originally Posted by 2005daytonaZ
what would your recommendations be for tweeter placement without the kicks? I'm going to be getting some components this week and am unsure to where I want my tweeters.
Most of the input I am getting from reading is put them close to the mids, but aimed at you. CDT has a image dynamics enhancements that takes small tweetes and puts them high by the windsheild ON TOP of the regular tweets mounted low for better sound staging. Check it out.
http://www.cdtaudio.com/cdt10lp.htm