Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Airbag switch installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 04:30 PM
commasense

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag switch installation

I had airbag off-switches installed today by Sensible Solutions, Inc. of Frederick, MD. To remind you, I decided that since I have installed harnesses (see here) for the HPDE events I run, switching off the airbags while I'm at the track would not reduce safety and would eliminate the chance that a relatively small incident might set them off and cost me thousands in repairs and replacement.

Sensible Solutions is based about 45 minutes west of me and usually comes to the customer's home for the installation. But after having to cancel one appointment a few weeks ago because of weather (I don't have a garage), I arranged to go out there. It was a good thing, because after a couple of weeks of welcome spring weather, I woke up this morning to heavy wet snow and temperatures just above freezing.

The company is family owned, and I was greeted by Bob Brown and his daughter Sara, who were going to do the installation together. (Bob's wife Barbara, who had scheduled the appointment, was busy taking care of their grandson when I arrived.)

Bob is an engineer and started the business five years ago. The switches are made specifically for him from his own design. He has franchised the business to other installers across the country. The price is $340 for one, and $295 for the second.

I had hoped that the switches could be flush mounted in the little panel just forward of the big pocket in the center console, but they can only be surface mounted.

So since I wanted the switches close together, in easy reach, and not stuck to the dash panel around my knees, I decided the Nav pocket was the best location. Bob tells me he has personally installed the switches in about 15 350Zs, but this placement was a first for him. (It's also relatively rare to have both airbags done.)

Bob and Sara got to work and started removing the panels under the dash. A quick look behind the Nav pocket made it clear that there was room behind it to pass the cables.
Attached Thumbnails Airbag switch installation-img_5929mr.jpg  

Last edited by commasense; 03-30-2003 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:32 PM
commasense

Sara working on the driver's side.
Attached Thumbnails Airbag switch installation-img_5943mr.jpg  
Old 03-30-2003, 04:34 PM
commasense

Working together, the two of them finished the job in about two and a half hours.
Attached Thumbnails Airbag switch installation-img_5939mr.jpg  
Old 03-30-2003, 04:36 PM
commasense

The connector for the passenger's side airbag. The on-off switch is wired into this connector.
Attached Thumbnails Airbag switch installation-img_5936mr.jpg  
Old 03-30-2003, 04:38 PM
commasense

The driver's side.
Attached Thumbnails Airbag switch installation-img_5938mr.jpg  
Old 03-30-2003, 04:40 PM
commasense

The switches with the their keys.
Attached Thumbnails Airbag switch installation-img_5947mr.jpg  
Old 03-30-2003, 04:42 PM
commasense

The final installation. Notice the remote for the Valentine One on the left. (I just did the stealth install of the V1 in the back hatch like drivesolo and jelledge.)
Attached Thumbnails Airbag switch installation-img_5952mr.jpg  
Old 03-30-2003, 04:47 PM
commasense

BTW, while it was nice and warm the other day, I finally got a couple of nice shots of my own car. I still want to do some real glamour shots in a nice location, but I've got too much to do now.

The Miata in the background is mine, too. Know anyone who wants ot buy a nice 96 Miata with Borbet wheels, a Hard Dog roll bar, etc. etc.?
Attached Thumbnails Airbag switch installation-img_5923mr.jpg  
Old 03-30-2003, 04:51 PM
commasense

Default Finally...

In preparation for the NASA event at Mid Ohio next week, I had a set of magnetic numbers made. Working from a photo of the logo on the back of my car, I created artwork for the rest of the digits in the same style, and had a local sign shop make up the numbers.

My number next weekend is 350 (of course). I might use the numbers at Summit Point, too, instead of letting them put shoe polish on my windows.
Attached Thumbnails Airbag switch installation-img_5926mr.jpg  

Last edited by commasense; 03-30-2003 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:36 PM
socalsoda

Good stuff... Be sure to drive around a while with the bag turned off. So if you have a problem with the dash light coming on (like I did) they can fix it quickly.

Thanks for the photos...
Old 03-30-2003, 09:19 PM
commasense

I forgot to mention that when I asked them about that, they said that if you had told them about it, they could have reset it for you, no charge.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:57 AM
socalsoda

He didn't tell you the truth. I actually called and had him come out again to find the problem, but he couldnt find a problem that was causing the light to come on. So he tried to reset the light for about half an hour with his handhelp scanner, then gave up and read the instruction manual. After that he just quit and said to go to the dealer, that they should do it for free.... Which they didnt.
Not a huge deal, but he should at least tell the truth about it.
When he installed mine, about a week before yours, he said he had only installed the switch in about 4 to 5 Zs before. I am starting to doubt this guy.... I have also sent an email to this guy again after my light started flashing again and he isnt returing my emails... I will let you know what happens...
Old 03-31-2003, 02:17 PM
commasense

I should have been clearer. Obviously, based on geography, we're not talking about the same people. I don't know who your local installer is in California, but I was dealing with the company owners in Maryland. Barbara Brown told me that they could have told your local guy how to take care of the problem. You might want to contact them through their Web site (http://www.airbagonoff.com) and tell them about your experience.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:30 PM
socalsoda

Actually it was Bob... In your first photo. What they do is set up customers in general areas then they schedule them for appointments. Bob flies out to California once every 2 months. He will be back in the area in Late April. He comes alone in a rental car that he gets from the airport.
Anyways... I am kinda beating a dead horse... But this will be good info for people thinking about having it done. I finally got a call from Bob this afternoon after I leaft a pretty stern call on thier answering machine. Perhaps I am an exception... Or maybe my switch was defective... We will see when he hits Cali again in April. Best of luck racing....

Adios!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:04 AM
commasense

I see. Well, sorry about your experience. I hope it was an exception. So far, no problems at my end.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:42 PM
gunbbang121

Hey commasense, great car and looks like they did a fabolous job on the airbag switch.

I just had a question about the V1. Is it worth it's money? Im not negatively judging it, but if i was to get a radar, i would want the best and $400 is alot of money (to me).
Was there a time where it did not work properly and you were pulled over? (is it 100% accurate)
And lastly, does having that radar make you speed more than when you didn't have them?

I was just very curious and wanted to ask someone who owned one. Thx

-Dave
Old 09-26-2004, 09:59 PM
commasense

I love the V1. It works great, better than the Passport 8500, IMO, and the arrows are extremely helpful.

That said, I have been snagged by radar while using it, but I don't think any detector would have prevented getting caught in those circumstances. I was on a rural highway, no other cars around, and the cop was well hidden. I saw him and got the alarm at the same moment, and he was close enough to get a lock on me as soon as he saw me.

These days I get my speed fix safely and legally at the track, so I don't feel the need to speed on the street, and don't want to risk the hassle of getting caught. I make a point of staying within 10-15 mph of the limit most of the time. The V1 provides a useful safeguard, but I don't use it as a license to speed. And I don't recommend that anyone else does that either.