Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Rear 61/2 inch speaker grills

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 10:54 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear 61/2 inch speaker grills

How do you remove the rear circular grills? - they appear to snap in but I didn't want to force too much.
Also what kind of speakers did Bose use back there - are they decent with a good sized magnet or just crap. I'm thinking of replacing just the back 2 speakers as the fronts sound pretty decent but if you fade all they way back you can REALLY tell the weak link in the system.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:10 AM
djkern
Banned

you have to take off the whole plastic piece....not just the speaker grill. if you take off just the speaker grill, you will break the little plastic pieces and you will have to glue the grill back on.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:12 AM
POWERZ

You have to remove all the back plastic to get to the speakers - the grills are plastic welded into place.

The speakers are Clarion and are very low quality. The reason they are so weak however, is that they are 32 ohms to keep the soundstage at the front of the car where it should be. If you do replace them with aftermarket speakers, you will need to set your fader almost all the way to the front to maintain the desired imaging.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:36 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

Thanks! I'm still wondering if better speakers in just the rear would make a difference. Or would the better set, by the time you added resistance by fader or in line resistor would just make the efficient new set sound just like the old set. It's not ALL a volume thing but quality as well. If you fade the speakers all the way back it sounds more like you have 2 inch speakers.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:52 AM
POWERZ

Aftermarket speakers would definitely improve your overall sound quality if you used the fader to maintain imaging.

Do you plan to do anymore modification to the stereo after the rear speakers are installed? It's a vicious circle: new components need an amp and you don't want amplify a bad signal... That's why I have all the wiring in my Z done, new components on the shelf, and my stereo is still 100% stock...
Old 04-01-2003, 12:32 PM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

I want to keep it pretty stock - it sounds pretty good to me, especially the XM but when you fade all the way back is REALLY sounds tinny. Normally you don't have it faded all to back but I like to just to test the speakers. The rear speakers don't sound
near as good as the speakers in the doors, though I'd imagine they're the same speaker and I don't suppose it's 100% because of the different enclosure.
The Bose (after amp replacement) is pretty satisfactory to me - all the speakers except the rear. Even the rear is OK if you take the system as a whole and don't mess with the fader.
I guess it's kind of like my home system - the rear surrounds aren't supposed to be too loud and kind of just help the fronts out and add a bit of depth but for my ears I like the rears just as loud as the fronts and kind of just sit in the center