Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How to wire an Amp? (Zapco AMP....)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:42 PM
aleok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to wire an Amp? (Zapco AMP....)

i posted this on g35driver also, but havn't gotten much help...

I'm getting my hands on a Zapco 500.1 referance amp to power my sub. but i'm confused on how to wire the inputs. the zapco PFD manual says that it has SymbiLink™ Balanced Input, and it looks like it has actual plugs, that go into the headunit, but right now i have 4 seperate wires that go into a high level input 4 prong plug, that when into my old kenwood... can anyone help me?

this is the only input it has

the single plug goes into the amp and the 2 male RCA plugs go into the headunit. but now i'm pretty sure that the 4 wires for my high level input are just spliced from my 6x9 speakers in the back...
thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you Kenwood uses an odd output plug. I had Kenwood gear ten years ago and recall the DIN like plug that connected the Kenwood headend to the Kenwood amplifier. Crutchfield sells adapters which will connect into the Kenwood headend and provide an RCA output which will now connect into that balanced adapter that came with the Zapco. Give them a call with your Kenwood model number and your problem.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:52 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like you are going line level in to your amp. What this means is who ever installed it just tapped into the speaker leads from the rear speakers and ran it into the amplifier. There are 2 reasons for this. Your radio does not have RCA outputs (example using stock radio), or the installer was to lazy to take out the radio and run RCA cables to the amp(if you have an aftermarket radio) If you have the stock radio you need a line level converter which converts speaker level outputs to RCA. If you have an aftermarket radio, you need to take it out and grap the RCA outputs from there and feed it into the Symbilink converter box.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:35 PM
aleok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ thanks a lot, i was able to convert the wires coming from the rear speakers to the RCA cables, i'm using some kind of converter, it take the positive speaker wires coming from the 2 6x9 speakers in the back and a wire going to the ground, then converts it to rca's, it works, and sounds great, but is this ok to do? i'm always worried about wiring it wrong and over time the amp blows.

(oh and i had a kicker amp before, not a kenwood)