Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

anybody use stock HU w/aftermarket amp+sub

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:19 PM
alan86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody use stock HU w/aftermarket amp+sub

I heard you dont get as much sound quality from the stock HU, but i want to keep it stock so that theives arent attracted to it and break in. Because Aftermaket HU= amps and subs. Even if the aftermarket HU has a detachable face, i dont want to give theives any reason to break in to begin with.

So what do you think, stock HU, w/ amp and sub?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:23 PM
TurboTrey

You will get a pretty good sound from a sub. If you just want to add some more punch it will be great. People will say there is a big sound quality difference but it will be so minimal you won't even notice and will think they are crazy when they tell you after you hear it.

You can either get a line level converter or use high level inputs on an amp. I think the best way to go would be with the line level converter and run it off of the headunit instead of trying to track down the speaker wires in the car. If someone can point them out it would be a lot easier than taking out the cd player to put the converter in.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:38 PM
antennahead

I am considering keeping the Bose headunit and adding something like the clean sweep or the rockford 360, then amps and new speakers and sub. I used to be into competition quality when I was much younger, 20 to 25 years ago, now I just want quality sound. I think it can be achieved the above way without breaking the bank. I do my serious listening at home anyway these days.

John
Old 03-12-2007, 09:23 AM
tlox

Do you have the factory bose sub with it too? What I did was tap into the speaker wire running to the bose sub, run it through a line converter, and then out the bottom of the molding with the amp under the drivers seat. On my 03 touring, I have a power port on the back in between the two seats, that port is only hot when the cars ignition is on. I used that power source for the remote for the amp.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:00 PM
roberto350z

Originally Posted by tlox
Do you have the factory bose sub with it too? What I did was tap into the speaker wire running to the bose sub, run it through a line converter, and then out the bottom of the molding with the amp under the drivers seat. On my 03 touring, I have a power port on the back in between the two seats, that port is only hot when the cars ignition is on. I used that power source for the remote for the amp.
I have the stock HU with a rockford fosgate 3sixty.1 OEM processor, jl audio amplifier, image dynamics IDQ12, USA SPEC pa11-nis ipod adapter and polk audio something or others in the door.

In my opinion, this system sounds excellent. I have been tweaking this system to sound as good as you can get in a car. Now that all is said and done, there is no way I would do it again.

Actually, now that I have spent about 10+ hours trouble shooting a ground loop, Im going to scrap the job and get an Alpine HU. Before anyone instinctively rambles off ground loop theory 101, save your key strokes. One of the problems is that the headunit gets its ground from being bolted to the chassis limiting troubleshooting. The good news, the USA SPEC is ultimately to blame (ill add a choke later), so if you dont use this, then you will be fine. Also, its a faint ground loop... that my fiancee cant even hear.

My biggest complaint is that the sirius player, USA spec, and rockford fosgate setup cost $475 after shipping/taxes/etc. Thats a ton of dough...

..and I dont get time correction.