Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

BOSE technicians in SoCal to replace my AMP along with a few others

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 11:09 AM
JeremyL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation BOSE technicians in SoCal to replace my AMP along with a few others

I was contacted sometime Wednesday by a Nissan representative who informed me that there were two Bose engineers in from Detroit to try and get a handle on the Bose problem.

I have an appointment set up on Tuesday where they will drive to "wherever I am" and talk to me/ask me questions for 30 minutes or so.

They also have a new amp they want to swap out with me to see how I like the difference.

Apparently 10 or so other Southern California people are also on the list to have the same procedure done.

Very promising.

Ill let ya know.

Jeremy
Old 04-12-2003, 02:22 PM
shb4

That's the first solid good news I've heard on this issue. Went to a seminar sponsored by Nissan several weeks ago. They paid us $125 to go. The other Touring owner and I there unloaded on them re Bose and were told by moderator ( not a Nissan employee) that they were very aware of the problem and were going to deal with it but that is all he would say. So this is good news. Keep us informed especially re sound of new amp. Thanks
Old 04-15-2003, 05:16 PM
JeremyL

My amp was swapped out today - had three guys come to my house and speak to me about how my current (this is a 2 month old, "newer") amp sounded.

They switched out my amp for a new one (same thing, except different software for DSP and AudioPilot).

In the 5 minutes I took to zip around the block, I have already noticed a marked difference - even over the famous $0.99 bose fix.

They have also gotten favorable responses from the other people whose amps have been replaced.... extremely promising.

I will post more later

In the mean time, here is the pic of a "care package" they left with me, including the old amp.

Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails BOSE technicians in SoCal to replace my AMP along with a few others-dsc02308.jpg  
Old 04-15-2003, 07:48 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JeremyL
My amp was swapped out today - had three guys come to my house and speak to me about how my current (this is a 2 month old, "newer") amp sounded.

They switched out my amp for a new one (same thing, except different software for DSP and AudioPilot).

In the 5 minutes I took to zip around the block, I have already noticed a marked difference - even over the famous $0.99 bose fix.

They have also gotten favorable responses from the other people whose amps have been replaced.... extremely promising.

I will post more later

In the mean time, here is the pic of a "care package" they left with me, including the old amp.

Jeremy
glad that they are trying to do something about this, I wonder what cars this effects??

I have little FAITH in Bose (if you notice Bose NEVER publishes frequency responces for thier products, because they SUCK). the home stuff is a joke and thier BEST car stuff is only slightly better. I would LOVE to have a Bose "technician" sit in my living room with me and talk about stereos, I would love to see his face when he looks up at my home system and realizes that I actually have REAL home audio equiptment and know what REAL quality sounds like
Old 04-15-2003, 08:23 PM
all_bark

my appointment is set up for tomorrow afternoon.

after I get mine I'll let you all know how mine turns out.

Care package?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:25 PM
shb4

Did they give you any idea re a genral fix on this problem or are they just going to keep going around to ten guys at a time. What was the 2 month old replacement amp to which you referred? Had you opened a formal complaint file with Nissan? Sorry for all the questions but this Bose is horrible, as you know.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:27 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any way i can get this guy to come to my house do yoiu have a phone number?
Old 04-15-2003, 09:33 PM
JeremyL

I had filed a complaint with Nissan and they had my name on file.

Apparently theyre going to check this solution out and then at some stage once its 'baked', offer it to the general public. Its a software change but requires swapping the amp... the cost to them is essentially the labor involved, since they need to 'reprogram' amps they bring in. The guys couldnt give me much detail since they're not Nissan.

Ill get to report back my experience in a week or so.

As to WHEN this swapout for everyone else actually happens.. who knows...

The package was just a bose cd case and three music CDs - havent opened them yet.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:34 PM
JeremyL

Ont he 2 month old deal - I had a newer amp, not the very first bad ones, so this fix will apply to all amps.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:55 AM
RAW22

Thanks for the post on the Bose.

shb4 - I went to the same focus group here is Dallas. Was you moderator a guy with long grey hair? Our guy said he had a couple in CA the week before we did ours. All of the Touring owners gave him an earful, and he acted like he had heard it a thousand times.

Richard
Old 04-16-2003, 08:54 AM
1ZFORME

they did the same for me this monday. there is a big difference but it is still very poor in my opinion. they are going to follow up with me in a week or so.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:42 AM
shb4

Raw22: Sounds like the same guy and same response. I await developements with baited breath.. Who knows where the Bosemobile will strike next.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:05 PM
all_bark

Originally posted by shb4
Raw22: Who knows where the Bosemobile will strike next.
struck at my house today at 2:30. pacific beach CA.

still have not tested it so my review on the 3rd amp will have to wait.

they left me with the care package + old amp (#2) as well.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:33 PM
shb4

Let us know how you think it sounds. I guess the rest of us will just have to wait for a call from the Bose fairies.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:44 PM
JeremyL

Day 2 and I have to say that the sound is better, but not perfect.

I think we all need to realize that we're getting a standard radio, guys... its not going to be high end...

The sound of this new amp is better, but its a little too bright on the high end and has a little too much pinch on the low end. If they take the mods down by 25% I think we'll at least have a workable standard sound system.

J
Old 04-16-2003, 08:11 PM
shb4

Jeremy, when you say newer amp do you mean one of the Clarion replacement amps for the original Bose or do you mean the Bose amp they are using now. Also what is a DSP?

Stewart
Old 04-16-2003, 08:11 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JeremyL
Day 2 and I have to say that the sound is better, but not perfect.

I think we all need to realize that we're getting a standard radio, guys... its not going to be high end...

The sound of this new amp is better, but its a little too bright on the high end and has a little too much pinch on the low end. If they take the mods down by 25% I think we'll at least have a workable standard sound system.

J
DUDE, I had a better "standard" radio in my Civic and wifes jetta, and PAID NOTHING EXTRA!!!

knowing Bose, I should have guessed, if anyone you want to learn more about Bose, go on a few sites (AUDIO) and ask about them as a company nad sound quality.

here are some sites, www.Audioasylum.com, www.audioreview.com, www.hometheaterforum.com
this system sounds so typical of Bose, NO highs, NO base and mediocre midrange.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:19 PM
all_bark

I am happy with the new amp. definitely seems better than amp #2.

not sure how much better but it is. cannot say anything about percentages or such but it seems to sound a little "crisper" when listening to it at both low and high volumes.

I will do some more listening and see how it sounds with a variety of music and let you know.

From my perspective I think my stereo is probably a bit better than most of yours or maybe I just cannot tell the difference! It plays loud, clear, and now has plenty of base. It could be better but its pretty good for sure.

I have NEVER had a factory stereo come close to this one. Aftermarket yes, factory no!
Old 04-17-2003, 07:07 AM
alienx

So it seems like they may haver tweeked the sound a little, but have they fixed the problem with the audio pilot? This was my biggest concern. And if they got any better sound out of the speakers, that would be good too.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:18 AM
all_bark

Originally posted by alienx
So it seems like they may haver tweeked the sound a little, but have they fixed the problem with the audio pilot? This was my biggest concern. And if they got any better sound out of the speakers, that would be good too.

Thanks.
the tech's who stopped by said they "lessened" the severity of the audio pilot. It still does the volume thing but at a much smaller degree of variation. When listening this morning I noticed that with the volume low it will increase when I step on the throttle and increase the cabin noise but when I came up to the next stop sign (stopped at idle) the music lower itself back to where I started it at! It seems to be working better but it still does the auto adjusting.

If you do not want that do the $0.20 cent fix posted as a note up on top of the forum. I have the resistor from Rat Shack and plan on putting it in anyway. I want NO VARIAAAAAAATION!

Quick Reply: BOSE technicians in SoCal to replace my AMP along with a few others