Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Speaker Upgrade for Enthusiast Model

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 02:58 AM
devaraj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Upgrade for Enthusiast Model

I am probably in the minority here, but I actually like the sound of the stock Clarion stereo system in my 350Z Enthusiast. I don't usually play it really loud, and it sounds fine to my ears for jazz and classic rock. However, I am starting to get the itch to hear an even better sound from my door speakers. So here are a few questions for you audiophiles.

If I replace the front speakers, should I just have an installer put in a 2-way coaxial speaker such as the Infinity Reference, and leave the stock tweeters? Or should I go with new componants like the MB Quarts? Do I really need to get an amplifier for the new fronts, or will my head unit power everything? If I do install a (50 watt per chanel) amp for the fronts, won't they overpower the rear speakers?

Any information will be appreciated because I am pretty confused about speaker upgrading.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:13 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 4 Eclipse (see sig) coax speakers in my car left stock tweeters and kept it amplified from the HU. Sounds awesome. I did put a bass blocker on the stock tweeters which made it blend a little better, but it was not bad at all running it normal.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2003, 08:06 AM
devaraj

Originally posted by VandyZ
I put 4 Eclipse (see sig) coax speakers in my car left stock tweeters and kept it amplified from the HU. Sounds awesome. I did put a bass blocker on the stock tweeters which made it blend a little better, but it was not bad at all running it normal.
Thanks for the great input - that is just what I am looking for. I really don't want to get heavily involved with new amps, head units, etc to just augment the current sound. I will certainly consider the Eclipse 6.5 speakers in all four locations - it seems like you are very happy with them.

I have been a long time fan of Infinities, and was just wondering if anybody has an comments on replacing the four stock speakers with the Infinity Reference models (without an additional amp)?
Old 04-14-2003, 08:59 AM
zmeister03

Default upgrade

I believe the back speakers are a higher impedance thanthe fronts from what I've read.

So if you did just put your front's on an amp the stock back units would put out ample sound but might sound a little tinting compared to the fronts.

The infinity's sound great but I've heard that quite a few people have hade them crack due to their ceramic frames. It could be due to mounting improperly perhaps.

I'm still using the stock speakers too. My only complaint is I could use just a bit more bass.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:04 AM
VandyZ

Yeah I forgot to mention that my fader is +4 to the Front now because all speakers are now 4 ohm. If it makes a difference from what I saw, the Infinity's fit betterfor DIY installs. For the Eclipse, I "cut" the old speaker out of its built in spacer and mounted the new speakers in the old housing. It also allowed for me to use the factory harness. The rears use typical nissan speaker harness but the fronts were different. Eclipse are great because the sound awesome on stock HU power, and if you decide to power them they rock even harder!

I spent $150 and could not ask for a beter sounding "cheap" solution.

If you have any questions or need help just ask!
Old 04-14-2003, 01:19 PM
devaraj

Hmmmm - you guys have some really good information. What do you think about just replacing the front speakers with either Infinities or Eclipses, and leaving the stock speakers (with the high impedence) alone. Would this be a cheap and good sounding solution? This way, I would not need an additional amp and the volumes of the front and rear speakers would be almost equal. I just want crisp midrange with adequate mid-bass.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:16 PM
VandyZ

It will sound better no doubt. You only need rear fill anyway. Let us know how it works out.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:55 PM
ZiggaDigga

I was thinking about replacing the fronts with infinitis as well and then moving the front speakers to the rear.
I really think the high impedence on the rear speakers is killing the sound quality.
Granted, you would want to shift the fader forward to keep your soundstage towards the front. But I really think using a lower impedence speaker and lowering the wattage to them would make a better rear fill then what is there now.

Just my 2 cents worth, wish I could afford to do it right now, then I could let you know for sure if it's a good idea or not, but taxes ate my lunch this year
Old 04-18-2003, 05:27 PM
devaraj

Well Guys, today I did it !! I had my installer replace all four factory speakers with Infinity Reference 6.5's, and OH MY GOD what a difference. Even the installer (who constructs competition systems) was impressed.

The vocals and high notes jump out in a wide soundstage, and the bass is very deep and punchy. I now have to fade the head unit +3 toward the front and take the trebble down to -1. The two rear speakers are now very clean, full, and distinct, unlike the lackluster sound that I got from the original stock rears.

This replacement truly illustrates to me how inferior the stock Clarion speakers are. I wish that Nissan had put Infinities or something similar in the 350Z right in the factory. Anyway, the Infinty Reference speakers get a huge "thumbs up" from me.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:42 PM
Mr.Blue

Default Quick Question

Did you dis-connect the stock tweeters when you installed your new speakers?. I am considering the same upgrade. Also, What are the exact name of your speakers? Are they Just Infinity reference 6.5's? Thanks for your help. Soon I will not be so dis-appointed when I turn up the Stereo in my Z....
Old 04-19-2003, 03:49 AM
devaraj

Default Re: Quick Question

Originally posted by Mr.Blue
Did you dis-connect the stock tweeters when you installed your new speakers?. I am considering the same upgrade. Also, What are the exact name of your speakers? Are they Just Infinity reference 6.5's? Thanks for your help. Soon I will not be so dis-appointed when I turn up the Stereo in my Z....
The exact model number of my speakers is Infinty Reference 652i. They are 6 1/2", two way speakers. Crutchfield currently has them on sale in their catalogue and web site for $70 per set, but I purchased them at Circuit City where they are now selling for $60.

I discussed disconnecting the stock tweeters with my installer. He said that it was optional, but he would recommend leaving them connected. And I am very glad that I did, because this really widens the front soundstage to give an expansive 3D effect. Since I don't like too much trebble, I just dialed the trebble setting down to -1, and the sound is awesome.

In my original post (above), I said that I was pretty happy with the sound of the stock speakers in the 350Z, but now I realize how very wrong I was. The Infinities kick some serious butt!!!
Old 04-19-2003, 05:28 AM
Mr.Blue

Thanks for all your help. I can relate to what you were saying, meaning that you thought you were happy with the stock speakers. I find my self going back and forth, telling my self these speakers aren't so bad, but I also found my self constantly adjusting the settings trying to level out the sound. I am just frustrated at this point. Thanks for your advice, I will head over to Circut City sometime soon.