Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Speaker Level Inputs VS. RCA's

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:30 PM
QdotJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Level Inputs VS. RCA's

Title says it all. I'll be installing my amp and components next weekend and was wondering if there is a huge difference between running signal via RCA's or just pulling the wires from the bose amp and working from there. I want good sound of course, but with a minimal amount of hassle -

A local shop wants to charge $400 to do this job, but will run all new cables and wiring. I'm thinking of doing this myself and my new amp accepts speaker level inputs. I figure everything is there why not just splice and minimize the "hassle"....

Audio Gurus need your input.

Speakers - Infinity 6010cs (Components - Front doors, stock location)

No rear fill .....

Stock woofer for now - upgrading to free-air solution soon for a direct swap.

Amp - Infinity 7541a

Amp will be placed in spare tire location securely attached to MDF board.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:58 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

do it once.. do it right.. i took 3 days off work and did it all myself..

1) first day i started with this thread Run power wire from battery through firewall

took me about 20 mins

2) second day i tackled this webpage Speaker Installation Tips - Front and this thread Running speaker wire to the doors

3) second day i also tackled this thread How to remove center console and run RCA/speaker wires from glove box to dash: and this webpage How-To Remove the Center Console - Dash

4) second day i also this webpage to run my wires from the center console to the trunk Speaker Installation Tips - Rear

5) third day i finished putting everything back together

i say take some time reading these threads and webpages.. then decide if its worth $400 ... i was quoted at $875 and that was my breaking point to do it myself.. i have done it in the past with other cars.. but i just didn't have the time or didn't want the hassle.. but for $875 i did... but this is countless trips to multiple audio stores... home depot and other places..

on the 3rd day i stopped by the shop that quoted me $875.. they guy said oh.. you decided to do it on your own.. i said yes.. i am almost done.. just needed some 0 gauge ring connectors i had wasted when i didnt' hammer them good enough..

if you have any questions let me know since i just finished mine this weekend and alot of stuff is fresh in my mind.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:00 PM
doug

oh sorry to get off track.. but to answer your question.. yes RCA connectors.. and yes do it yourself (if comfortable)
Old 04-15-2007, 08:07 PM
QdotJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
do it once.. do it right.. i took 3 days off work and did it all myself..

on the 3rd day i stopped by the shop that quoted me $875.. they guy said oh.. you decided to do it on your own.. i said yes.. i am almost done.. just needed some 0 gauge ring connectors i had wasted when i didnt' hammer them good enough..

if you have any questions let me know since i just finished mine this weekend and alot of stuff is fresh in my mind.

Love it! Thanks Doug, I'm quite comfortable doing this install, but it being somewhat a new car and all I don't want to muck anything up. I've done installs on other cars; my girl's and my Expedition.

Cool, I might have to take you up on your offer.

One question; is there any real reason to have "rear fill?" I was thinking of adding 6.5" mid-range or small woofers in place of rear speakers, remove the factory sub, and install other things there in the future; nav system, etc.

Oh and for the record; I've studied your webpages ever since the thought of doing this came about - I did my headunit with no problem thanks to your pages.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 AM
doug

Originally Posted by QdotJ

Love it! Thanks Doug, I'm quite comfortable doing this install, but it being somewhat a new car and all I don't want to muck anything up. I've done installs on other cars; my girl's and my Expedition.

Cool, I might have to take you up on your offer.

One question; is there any real reason to have "rear fill?" I was thinking of adding 6.5" mid-range or small woofers in place of rear speakers, remove the factory sub, and install other things there in the future; nav system, etc.

Oh and for the record; I've studied your webpages ever since the thought of doing this came about - I did my headunit with no problem thanks to your pages.
oh they arn't my pages... sorry for the confusion.. i just read them..

rear fill? to me its a waste... especially with the Z being a hatch.. there is no need for rear fill if you have good subs and good components.