Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Pioneer AVH-6800DVD Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 05:42 PM
imalazeeass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer AVH-6800DVD Review

I finally got around to taking pics so heres a small little review since people keep bugging me about it (cough marty) =) I got this headunit to replace my old kenwood ddx8017 because i wanted a 6 cd changer and just something new! So on with the pics:

The headunit itself is bigger than my kenwood by half an inch. It's around 7inches compared to the 6.5 There aren't as many buttons on this headunit compared to the kenwood but I never really used the other ones anyways.

This is the headunit installed which was pretty standard.. didn't really have any problems. As you can see, the kick a$$ feature of this headunit is the backgrounds they offer you. This is my favorite one. The kenwood only offered 3 backgrounds.. and they weren't even that cool. Most of the wallpapers on this pioneer HU move to the music.

One kind of annoying feature is that in order to change stations I would have to click on the screen so that the boxes show up, and then click on the station I want. So i have to basically double touch the screen every time because after a few seconds, the boxes go away and it looks like the first picture I posted. Not that big of a deal though. One thing I like about this is that it shows all the stations you have set, unlike the kenwood which just had numbered buttons.

these are the options pioneer gives you..

Under the audio options. One thing that the kenwood has that is better than this is the audio options. For this headunit, i can only control bass from -6 to +6 whereas the kenwood allowed settings from 15 to -20 or so. I set my sub to the lowest settings and its still too strong for me. Maybe I should've gotten weaker subs :P

equilizer stuff

the different kinds of wallpapers

more wallpapers and shows how to access the optional navigation unit (which i dont have because I have stock navi.)

this is how you access the 6 cds and ipod, tv, all that stuff. 6 cd changers FTW!!!!!!!!!

this is what the screen looks like while playing a normal cd.

and a distant shot of the headunit.. lots of blue colors!

and finally this is how it opens up incase those of you have automatics, you can see if the screen gets in the way or not when you're in park. When the screen is open, you can still access the screen to load cds into which slot you want, and etc.

All in all, this headunit is very refreshing to use. The colors are awesome and the bigger screen kicks ****. You can watch dvds while driving if you connect the ebrake wire to a switch but I did not know that at the time so I have to change that when i'm not so lazy because taking everything apart is a pain in the ***!

I managed to install this at 1 AM at a friends house with nothing but a flashlight. We finished at around 630AM because we kept losing things.. hahaha. But it works nicely. Thanks POE for helping me install the headunit and marty, i hope this was helpful to you!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:49 PM
RANDY350Z

this is a great unit and a great add on if you have stock nav ! Pioneer ROCKS! I just got the D3
Old 05-03-2007, 11:23 PM
MinguezCD

I loved selling that piece, thought about it for myself, but wasn't willing to sacrifice the sound quality vs kenwood excelon. Looks great in the G35 though!
Old 05-04-2007, 09:25 AM
mahont

Wow thats a great lookin unit. Seems like plenty of compatibility. Hows everything sound now that its in? If ya don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the unit? TIA ...
Old 05-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet looking unit.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
daburch

Default Stock Navi?

Has someone figured out how to get the stock Navi to interface with a good head unit like this? I find the Bose to be lousy, especially for how much it cost's, but would like to keep the navi voice.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:53 PM
imalazeeass

like with most head units, don't you just add a speaker? I'm not sure though because I didn't do it.. i thought the stock navi voice was annoying anyways :P

I got this HU for a little under $1,000.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the vdp-1 attachment is dope too...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:44 PM
BallZdeepNYC

Damn i am in process of picking up a new HU and I was really interested in this, the Eclipse AVN 6610, and the Kenwood DNX7100. I dont like the D3 because the screen is really small and the Z2 costs too much for my budget. My stepfather has one in his Porsche C4 its the best but anyway what do you guys think is the better headunit