Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

RCA converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 12:32 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RCA converter

Trying to install a line to rca converter. Tapped into the Front Left and Right Lines from the head unit to the converter and grounded the converter to the body. From there connected to my amp. Problem is, there is alot of static (buzzing) and audio is extremely low. The amp is on and I can adjust the gain. I have the volume maxed out and the music is still play low volume. Could I have a problem with the converter? Or is it not possible to do a line to RCA?
Old 04-24-2003, 05:07 AM
ooohhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alphared

I tapped into my signal using the line going to the sub. May have been a bad idea because I am getting that same bass switching I get with my other speakers. I do know that on the converter there should be a level adjuster. Mine has 2 wholes in it with a screw to adjust the level. I plan to try to adjust my levels higher this week-end. I have to turn my gain, etc. all the way up to get very little sound as well. that is rediculous b/c my amp is 272 watts RMS going to one 10" sub.

Do you get the bass changes that are consistant with the Bose problem through the new sub?

What did you tap your REM line into. I have heard of one person tapping into the lighter b/c we have no antenna.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:53 AM
alphared

I don't have adjustable gain on my converter. I have my amp's gain max and my volume maxed out, but sound is like a whisper. Theres also a buzzing sound as well which seems to come only when the converter is connected. The REM line i soldered to the Lighter, cause its a shorter run. Amp is on and every thing seems connected correctly, just stumped as to why no sound.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:40 PM
customexotica1

Default Line out conversion

You may want to try and NOT connect the ground wire on the converter. Depending on the radio this can actually "mute" the rcas by improperly coupling signal and the shield (ground.) give that a try. Also depending on the amp, it may be possible to eliminate the converter and wire the speaker output directly to the amp RCA input. Use caution on the last method, as not to "cook" the input circuit on your amp.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:20 PM
alphared

Well I figure it out (with some google'in) The front output are sampled down so theres no need for a line output converter. Thats why I wasn't getting any sound when I tap into the fronts. I just tried tapping into the rear (took the rear speaker wires in the back and hooked it to the converter)
From that I just split the RCA to front and rear to the amp. Set the gain to zero on the amp for the rear and a small amount for the front. AND man are they loud! Volume on 6 and almost went deaf. I set the Front/Rear balance to the rear (since only the rear are connected.

I could tap into the front with just a RCA cable, but this way its easier to plug my PC output to the amp.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:49 AM
ooohhh

Alphred

U stated that:

"The front output are sampled down so theres no need for a line output converter. "

Are u saying that u didn't use the converter at all?

It sounds like you are saying that you just spliced an RC cable into the rear speaker wire. Is that what you did? Or did u use the Line out to tap into the rear speaker?

also have you changed ur HU? If not how is the bass going to ur sub? Does it boom wierd like the stock Bose sys? I tapped into the sub and think that is why I am getting the boom to my sub.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2003, 05:32 AM
alphared

Originally posted by ooohhh
Alphred

U stated that:

"The front output are sampled down so theres no need for a line output converter. "

Are u saying that u didn't use the converter at all?

It sounds like you are saying that you just spliced an RC cable into the rear speaker wire. Is that what you did? Or did u use the Line out to tap into the rear speaker?

also have you changed ur HU? If not how is the bass going to ur sub? Does it boom wierd like the stock Bose sys? I tapped into the sub and think that is why I am getting the boom to my sub.

Thanks
Well from what I've read, most head unit have the front output sampled down. I didn't have a patch cord to tap into the fronts (and I didn't want to cut the one I had) So I just used a line output converter on the rears (used the ones that were connected to the rear speakers, not from the head unit) Yes, stock non-bose head unit. I haven't hooked up my sub yet, but the input for the sub would be split from my rear input. If its too much boom, why don't you turn your gain down on your amp?
Old 04-25-2003, 01:12 PM
ooohhh

If I turn the gain all the way down I get nothing. I think the bose mic is still messing with my syst. I think I will try the fix suggested in another thread.

Thanks Alphred.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:08 PM
alphared

oopps. The fronts are not sampled down. I was reading the pin out wrong, got it mirrored After trying to find the ACC for my screen I found out I was hooking it up the wrong way.
Well hook another Line converter and it works.
But the Audio menu button beep is super loud now, and bugs the hell out of me. Also its picking up alot of noise as well. I think I'm going to stick with using the rear.