Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

GPS Navigation Install-Garmin GVN-52

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Doc,

Assuming your installation is complete and you are now operating your Garmin GVN52, I have a question about mounting/using the handheld RF controller.

I've become rather accomplished using the buttons on the Garmin GVN52 RF handheld controller and its thumb-stick. It works very well. And, if I have a passenger onboard, I let them run the GPS using the RF handheld controller. Almost everyone I have in the car catches on quickly to the device and Garmin's great software.

But, I am at a loss on where to mount the RF controller when I am alone in the car and operating the GPS. For now I am placing the RF controller in the "coin box" that is immediately behind the shifter in the center console. I put the RF controller's base towards the driver-side of the "coin box" and lay it's top off to the right (passenger-side) so that it does not interfere with operating the shifter. That puts it in a postion where I can operate it, but I cannot see the face easily in this position.

Actually, once I allow the Garmin to start navigating, I rarely need to use the RF handheld controller since I've set the unit to auto-zoom and Garmin's software is so intuitive. But, there are times I want to zoom in or out, or change from 3D to a 2D view, or do something else.

My question: Where do you mount/place the RF handheld controller?

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 05-10-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:12 AM
MSGarrett1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spike, I am indeed finished and using the Garmin. I would echo your comments on the ease of use of the remote and intuitiveness of the interface. Also, I always get 5 bars on the satellite indicator with my antenna in its shown location.

To answer your question: right now I keep the remote in the center console with my sunglasses and things. I pull it out when I need it to begin a navigation, and then I set it aside and let Mrs. Garmin do all the talking. However, I am considering fabricating a custom mount to be mounted in the yellow area shown in my attached picture. I'm thinking about a piece of smoked plexiglass cut to the shape of that recessed area with a flexible center piece which attached to the remote, elevating it enough to easily get my right index finger behind it and still have my right thumb on the thumb-stick. A similar device could be velcroed to the coin box's lid, so that it could still be removed to use the coin box, or attached via velcro to mount the remote. I'm all about cool custom mounts, and doing it right.

Check out my radar mount I bought from a member of these forums, and the kickpanels I built, you can see here: https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/31971-diy-custom-kickpanels.html and here: https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/27231-new-stealth-audio-install-w-pics.html
Attached Thumbnails GPS Navigation Install-Garmin GVN-52-img_0843-r.jpg   GPS Navigation Install-Garmin GVN-52-radar-mount-3.jpg   GPS Navigation Install-Garmin GVN-52-radar-mount-4.jpg   GPS Navigation Install-Garmin GVN-52-img_0845-r.jpg  
Old 05-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Spike100

^ ^ I installed an illuminated "master switch" controlling the 7" monitor (in the upper/forward cubby space) and the Garmin GVN52 allowing me to toggle these devices ON/OFF. I put this switch in the area you reference (the panel where Nissan installs the seat-heater switches). I did consider this place as a mounting position for the RF handheld controller, but I felt that is was too far rearward for optimum operation. There is no line-of-sight in this position (only feeling the buttons and the thumb-stick on the RF controller).

I guess you can see why the industry is going to touch-screens. But, I hate the fingerprints, like the sharper image with non-touch LCD screens, and prefer the RF controller (that works without alignment or line-of-sight).

I'm doing (getting by) in a similar fashion that you describe: "To answer your question: right now I keep the remote in the center console with my sunglasses and things. I pull it out when I need it to begin a navigation, and then I set it aside and let Mrs. Garmin do all the talking." I swapped my stock OEM double-din H/U for a Clarion single-din H/U with a Metra bezel and lower/open compartment where I keep the Garmin's RF handheld controller. When using the Garmin unit, the handheld RF controller sits inside the coin box.

I will continue exploring this and post back if I find a better solution. Thanks for posting and providing good advice.

--Spike
Old 05-12-2007, 10:17 PM
saqib55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really like the setpu...now if i wanted the easy way out, could i just install this instead of all the custom work: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Q50UfHq...0&I=700NAV6019
Old 05-13-2007, 06:42 AM
Spike100

Originally Posted by saqib55
really like the setpu...now if i wanted the easy way out, could i just install this instead of all the custom work: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Q50UfHq...0&I=700NAV6019
Installing the Kenwood DDX6019 and KNA-G510 Navigation "black box" does not require any custom fabrication, but you will need to run some wiring between the two units. The DDX6019 fits the double-din space. You need to choose a location to place the remote KNA-G510 Navigation box and its antenna. A good position for this is inside the small cubby behind the driver's seat. You can mount the antenna inside or on top of the rear strut.

Another option is the Kenwood DNX-7100. This unit is an "all-in-one" device that fits the double-din space. Installing this unit doesn't require running a harness to the rear of the car.

The disadvantage of either solution is the lower position of the screen in your Z. When navigating, you are looking at the screen. The low postion of the double-din slot requires diverting your eyes from the road ahead.

The upper-forward cubby in the Z is a better and safer position for viewing a navigation screen.

--Spike